Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
had to buy a new iron >

had to buy a new iron

had to buy a new iron

Old 11-11-2010, 06:33 AM

I have gone through sooo many irons.... hi end to cheep... all burn out and I do NOT like the auto turn off....I want it hot when I need it... I have resorted to stopping in at any thrift store and buying them ...because cheep is good and they last as long as new ones... My best one has bee a small travel iron that I use at the side of my machine and it is so efficient and HOT!!! :thumbup:
Old 11-11-2010, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I just bought a pink Hamilton Beach from Walmart. Shut off ten minutes and heat up time about the same. Insane! I do not like it overal but if it is finaly heated up and going it is ok. Just do not walk away else you can start the whole song and dance routine of waiting for heating again.

Before this one I had bought a Black and Decker Classic also from Walmart. I liked this one the best but they did not have it when I was looking for an iron.

I go through alot of irons because my family uses them and I also have a bee at my house.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:43 AM

I have a Rowenta with an automatic shutoff. It stays on for at least 10 minutes. I just have to tip it to get it to go back on again. It heats up really fast too. Most times it is not cooled down immediately anyway. It doesn't shut off at that time unless it is not being used. I feel safer with the shorter shutoff time.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:18 AM

My mother-in-law bought me a gravity feed iron years ago that I just love. Never turns off and you fill it with water once in a blue moon. For classes and retreat I have a travel Rowenta. Love it too. I made sure that it doesn't turn off. Nothing worse than have an iron turned off when you go to use it.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:20 AM

I have the same iron you just bought. Don't know the wattage, but it's definitely HOT. I LOVE the fact that it lifts itself up on it's little legs.....I had a "top of the line" Rowenta, and after about 6 months of use....it leaks BROWN gunk awful!!!! I switched back to my Oliso.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:25 AM

I bought an Oliso and it works beautifully. It stays hot and does not ever drip. I think you will be happy with it.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 AM

I may try the Oliso too ... had a nice Rowenta a couple years ago that was SO highly recommended by friends, but mine didn't even last a yr ! I've had every kind of iron there is over 25 yrs. Now I have a BD that is fine but doesn't get hot enough. I don't think ANY irons are made well anymore, they just don't last ... time to go back to the good old classic BD ...
Old 11-11-2010, 07:31 AM

I had two Euro Pro Shark irons that I loved but they both eventually quit working. When I went to buy a new iron my top choices were Oliso and Reliable...bought the Reliable on sale and love it!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by BRenea
I had two Euro Pro Shark irons that I loved but they both eventually quit working. When I went to buy a new iron my top choices were Oliso and Reliable...bought the Reliable on sale and love it!
Where did you find the Reliable brand ?? haven't seen it here -
Old 11-11-2010, 07:40 AM

Where did you find your iron? Please let me have the name of your iron too. I am also looking for an iron with the "resting feet" because of my arthritis. I have purchased three different irons from Rowenta, always going up to a more expensive iron hoping it would be better. The first one worked for only about six months then started leaking all over my ironing board and leaving rust spots on my clothes. The second one lasted for about a year and started the same thing, but was not leaking it was pouring water out faster than I could put it in. My third Rowenta I gave way over $100.00 for and it worked perfect, you guessed it for about a year and then the leaking started. I have been looking for irons again but wanted the one with the resting feet because of my arthritis but I can tell you one thing it won't be a Rowenta. I do iron a lot, not just for quilting but I am using a Black & Decker I've had for years now and it works pretty good for me, just doesn't have enough steam. Please give me some help with the iron search...........................

FREE Quilting Newsletter