Hurricane Sandy anyone?

Old 10-28-2012, 11:43 AM

This is so scarey for all of you. I am sending prayers for all of you. Do what they tell you and stay safe instead of sorry.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:20 PM

flooding sure set in this morning with the tide and this afternoon the winds have picked up alot. I'm spending the night at work, I get off at 7pm but have to stay so that they know that I will be here to work in the morning. Hopefully most of the staff will be able to get to work tomorrow but just in case; when you are at a hospital you need to make sure it's fully staffed so that's why we all have to stay.Whats that saying a bird in the hand, thats what they got.

My daughter and son and thier families are staying at my house. They both live in flood zones, my sons is the worst part. I'm glad because I have two dogs at home and didn't want them to be alone. Plus it's nice in a storm to have someone be able to tell you how your house is holding up. I slept downstairs last night, just in case that big tree didn't want to stay rooted.

With my two youngest and their families and the pets all tucked away at my house there was only one more thing to do. I went home at lunch to get my bedding and I put my brand new Viking Diamond Delux in the back of my car. Crazy huh, but I havent' even made the first payment yet. My car will be tucked in our parking garage so it should be safe. The main thing I worry about at home is that if the rain blows a certain way the roof will leak and I'm never sure when a new one will pop up. The kids wouldn't think to check the sewing room.

I pray all in he path and all that have loved ones in the path be safe and if damage is done may it be only material things
Old 10-28-2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy
As a native of FL in the gulf coast area, the best advise is to be OVER prepared! As the old saying goes, better to be safe than sorry. Having gone thru many hurricanes, I think the one thing that no one is really prepared for is the lost of power for long period of time. No power effects everything and we are so used to having conveniences of life we forget how to survive without those things. No power means, no gas pumps so fill your car, no atm's to get cash or to run charges on debit cards. Freeze milk jugs of water now to help keep food in fridge/freezers/coolers cold, then you can drink water as it melts. Solid ice melts slower than ice cubes. Don't forget your pets! They feel pressure changes before people do and they don't understand what's happening. Take advice to leave low lying areas if you live in places that can flood or area where bridges are closed for safety sakes. To many people wait out the storm and then call for rescues because they thought they would be"fine". That only puts others at risk trying to save your life. OR you may be stranded from mainland for some time. My prayers go out to all in the path of this storm. Hopefully it wil change course and not be as severe as expected. But whatever happens, be safe!

Well said!! I agree with all of it!! Take care and be safe!!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:11 PM

We will be praying for all of your affected by the path of Sandy - blessings and be safe. I am in Central Florida and know what a hurricane is like. I am originally from New York. I will be thinking and praying for all of you - stay safe.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:13 PM

Amen! God is in control and keep the faith. Be safe and prepared! I'll be praying for all of you!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:20 PM

yes, we are here - live in Central NJ
everything but my place of work is closed tomorrow
oh well., I will make my best attemp in getting into work tomorrow morning, coming home is what scares me
Old 10-28-2012, 02:34 PM

The weather forecast for our little corner of WV has been upgraded (what a concept) to Blizzard WARNING.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:55 PM

I live in West Virginia and we had 85 degree weather two days ago and today it rained didn't even get to 50 degrees. We are expected to have rain all week from the storm. Hopefully we don't have power outages like we did this past summer when a storm came through and 90 degrees.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:17 PM

Please do as the forcasters say.
I live on the coast of Alabama. About 3 miles from Mobile Bay on the East side.
The storm surge filling up the city street will probably do more damage than the wind. But if you are going to have snow on top of that, you could be without power for weeks. If you are on an island, your method of transportation could be cut off for longer so if they say evacuate, you should.
We are usually well prepared for hurricanes down here, but it is something you guys don't experience very often.
We have been very lucky. Since we built out house in 1977, we have only had minor damages to our home. As I say, we have been very fortunate. It is the tornadoes in the hurricane wall that causes all of the damage. And you just never know where they are. That cannot be predicted.
Stay safe and you all are in our thoughts and prayers.
Greenbranch
Old 10-28-2012, 05:42 PM

Stay safe, I live in NE PA & hoping we will all be safe.