Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • So upset over a border! :( >
  • So upset over a border! :(

• So upset over a border! :(

Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 AM

I would leave it. Nobody but you will notice. Call it a design decision and let it go!
    Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 AM

Ask the mom what she thinks. You are driving yourself nuts over a problem that may not exist! If it bothers her, too, accept WMD926's generous offer.
    Old 03-11-2013, 12:04 PM

It is beautiful! While the friend paid for the fabric, she did not 'commission' you and she knows you are a beginner.

Leave it alone. If you think you have to tell her then fine but I'd just leave it be and see if she says anything. You could always drop a little hint about how much you learned about fabric while working on the quilt!

I walked away from three beautiful yellow and gray fabrics at Joann's for the exact same reason. As it approached the selvages the pattern veered off a good 3/4" to 1-3/4". When I mentioned it to the gal cutting the fabric she said, "Well, it is what it is do you want it or not?" I was a little peeved at her comment to tell the truth.
    Old 03-11-2013, 12:06 PM

I ike the idea of making triangles w black and blue for the border....and it is thoughtful of someone to offer to send you matching fabric from her stassh. Pic please when done.
    Old 03-11-2013, 12:15 PM

How about cutting it on the lines in the fabric and then cutting in on the next set of lines. At least it would be the same width.
    Old 03-11-2013, 12:18 PM

To me it isn't that noticeable down here on the bottom. But I know how you feel. I really had to look hard for it. Good lock on whatever you decide to do.
    Old 03-11-2013, 06:50 PM

Quit stewing on it. A non quilter might not even notice. I think it is fine and I would leave it. Put a right binding on it and your eyes will skip right over it. Sometimes we fret over things that really don't matter in the whole scheme of life.
    Old 03-11-2013, 07:13 PM

Any way you look at it, it is an absolutely beautiful quilt!!!! She will treasure it.
    Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 AM

I agree with this post. use a solid fabric for the border. Not sure what color you have for your prints but many colors work for a solid border. Check your stash.
    Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I know what you mean. It would bother me, so I would have to recut it along the lines of the print. You probably don't want to spend any more money, but you could add a 3" solid color outer border.
    Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 PM

Thank you to everyone that offered suggestions and a super big thank you to WMD96 for the offer of the fabric. I decided to use what I had and I actually kinda like it. I tried to minimize how/where it wandered and tried to line up the top and bottom border to the sides. I don't think it turned out half bad.

BUT...I learned a huge lesson. Pay attention to your fabrics and stay far far away from fabric with lines.

I still need to quilt and bind it. I am a little nervous about using this fabric for the back but am more aware and will pay closer attention when sandwiching it together. Thankfully I am just binding it in black so that will be the easy part. (And my favorite..I love hand sewing the binding!)