Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Old 08-03-2016, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by mollymunchkin View Post
Who? Us? Be sarcastic? Say it ain't so! ����
LOL it makes the heart grow fonder when we're away so you wander what we are up too!
See they really do miss us (or our sly remarks)!!!! LOL
Old 08-03-2016, 06:14 PM

Interesting, the family history! I've been doing our family research since 1996 and I have a lot of great information about our ancestors. Actually, I found out 3 months ago, I had another brother, so that makes 15 of us!! WOW that was crazy. I have meet his daughter & one of his sons. I will be introducing them to the whole family come September. Sort of a surprise!!!!!! there was one more!!!!

It's funny how they found us through the DNA match but with the stories I had heard after my dad passed away, it fit to a T. Since my new brother passed away 3 years ago, his children were trying to find out where he came from and his daughter linked up to my niece. That's where all my family research came into play. I am getting her to double check with the adoption agency to be sure but it looks like it's a prefect match to us. Crazy world we live in!

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
I have had an interesting and fun few days. Received my DNA results back from ancestory. Com. And was very disappointed and skeptical of the results. Our family is Heinz 57, knew my great great grandmother was Native American and we had very little Scandinavian, which is very unusual in Minnesota The skepticism Is because Native American wasn't listed but only a trace amount of Scandinavianwas was listed and knew that was correct. Went online an started researching the census reports etc and have gone back as far as finding the parents of my great grand parents. Surprised to find out the DNA report is pretty accurate so far. Sure has turned out to be a fun and eye opening expierence I am Heinz 57 but according to the DNA results 47% is Western European and 29% is Irish Guess I will be wearing green from now on when it's St. Paddy's day
Old 08-03-2016, 06:24 PM

I started with a book that was written by one of our ancestors as well and the information he got from my grandmother was wrong too. So I took what was written in the book and researched US census records to find out just how much was right information. Now I had the documents to clear up the information he had originally wrote. Last year my brother found the grandson of the man who wrote the original book and we were able to get more copies of it. I also asked permission to re-write our descending line with the corrects that I found. He was more then pleased that I wanted to do this and said that since the copy write was now expired there was no reason not to. So it's on my "To Do" list. I have almost every thing I need to do that, just have to find the time And I got all the documents to prove what I have is true.

Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
I'm very wary of stuff like the DNA samples and stuff written in genealogy books from years past. My moms side were Gallemores and dads side was Hawkins from New York....found a Gallemore book written by a long ago cousin and found mistakes immediately.. I did mine in the early 70's before internet, having to use micro film and books and letters (gasp)...I'm sure there are mistakes in mine but at least Ive found back as far as I can without having to go to Europe to continue...I'm lucky enough to have pictures of great grandparents on both sides and hand written letters on the Gallemore side...Don't know what will happen once I'm gone but at least all the kids, grandkids etc will have the basics! My advice to them will be DONT believe everything you read till you see it on an official document!
Old 08-03-2016, 06:27 PM

Ok I want that pattern LOL where can I find it!!!!!

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]555174[/ATTACH]
How can this be a quilting thread & the only pics are Dolphins? I made this for Terri for her Boom 16 quilt. I didn't feel good about the one I had originally made her. This one has 80 pieces, hand sewn, then I sewed the strips together on the machine. But it measures exactly 12 1/2 inches.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:02 PM

I have sent my DNA to Ancestry and can't wait to get it back. I was playing around on Family Search on dh's line and noticed someone I didn't know had been entering info as well. Turns out dh has a second cousins he knew nothing about. We went to visit them this summer. It was really awesome. I love family history!
Old 08-03-2016, 07:34 PM

I have almost no family history on both sides. I was raised estranged from my mother's family until adulthood (basically). I was able to get a little information, some of it surprising, like how much German heritage I get from that side. My father's side is even more of a mystery. My Gma's (birth) mother gave away almost all of her children and not through regulated adoption, more back yard over the fence type adoption. My Gma wouldn't even speak her name, she had no clue growing up about who her bio dad might be, and all the people she refers to as her "mother" or "gma" as far as I know were not biologically related in any way. I wouldn't have a clue where to even start on my father's side.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:53 AM

After a day with NO internet (GASP), I'm finally back on. At least I got 3 blocks made for me from scraps. Pics later.
I love reading about all the grands and greatgrands. I firmly believe they are Gods reward for not strangling your own children when they were know-it-all teens. I have 2 daughters and 1 son. Then, I have 6 grandchildren, 3 girls and 3 boys, along with 2 greatgrands. The grandchildren are 31, 29, 25, 23, 22 and 17. Both greatgrands are 2, 1 boy and 1 girl. They are all my heart. I just look at Gods perfection and say Thank You.
This is so much fun getting to know our on-line family of Boomers. Thanks for sharing, Ladies.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:04 AM

Ibex94- Check your PMs. I sent you some info re: picture reduction. Hope it helps you.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:09 AM

All these grands but I'm still waiting! Maybe one day, maybe not. We will just have to see. No nieces or nephews either. Not one. Boy this sounds sad. I had a bunch of grand pets but lost two to cancer, two in my eldest's divorce and I am now my last granddog's mother. My son moved to CA where he could not find housing that would accept a pit bull so DH and I jumped at the chance of having her. So, not even grand pets now. Boo. But I love hearing about your grands and great grands!
Old 08-04-2016, 05:09 AM

No kids here, but DH and I are fine with it. We weren't opposed to the idea, though. It just never happened, and we decided not to pursue it. Then I ended up having a hysterectomy at age 36 due to some serious female issues (severe endometriosis, for one) that landed me in the hospital 3 times in as many months. That was fine, too, though. It put an instant end to all those female issues AND got rid of the monthly "nonsense" at the same time. LOL!