Originally Posted by Charlee
The only rating system I have is this:

1. Ok...I can do that.
2. Ok...I can maybe do that.
3. Oh Cripes! THAT'S outta my league!
4. ~Whimper~ I'll NEVER be THAT good!

;)
Old 05-23-2010, 11:18 AM

Nope. I do not rate or judge anyone's work. Who am I to do that?
I look at quilts and do wonder how long it took them to make it.
I learn from seeing other's work. It moves me out of my box.
I also usually wonder how long the person has been making quilts.
I am inspired and wish I could put colors together like a lot of people can.
Rate quilts or people's work? No way. :thumbup:
Old 05-23-2010, 03:26 PM

I don't rate anything and almost everything I see can be inspiration. I might not have used the same colors but love the pattern, or vice versa.

They are all lovely to look at.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:54 PM

I like Charlee's rateing system. That's about how I feel. I usually am sitting here in awe at the abilities of you quilters. Having said that, We all have different tastes. My friend loves bright striking colors and I like pastels more. She likes freeform and I like to make mine with controled color and definate patterns. But she makes beautiful quilts. so that's the way it goes with quilters. We can appreciate each others efforts.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:12 PM

After reading the first issue of "Quilter's Home" with Mark Lipinski's perspective on entering a quilt into a quilt show, I became so discouraged about my own ability and how others would perceive my quilts. I now absolutely dread giving away my quilts or showing them at quilt guild meetings because I see all my flaws and feel that others will judge my work too critically. I worry that they are not good enough because I am such a perfectionist when it comes to quilting and I know others are too. However, I am only an intermediate quilter, so I know I am going to have small "errors" here and there in all my quilts. It is hard when I try so hard to grow as a quilter and others make me feel like I am barely a quilter because I am not up to their skill levels. After reading that article, I doubt I would ever feel "good enough" to enter a quilt show or contest. He totally shredded beginner/intermediate quilters as living in denial of their own ability to create a worthwhile quilt for a quilt show.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
After reading the first issue of "Quilter's Home" with Mark Lipinski's perspective on entering a quilt into a quilt show, I became so discouraged about my own ability and how others would perceive my quilts. I now absolutely dread giving away my quilts or showing them at quilt guild meetings because I see all my flaws and feel that others will judge my work too critically. I worry that they are not good enough because I am such a perfectionist when it comes to quilting and I know others are too. However, I am only an intermediate quilter, so I know I am going to have small "errors" here and there in all my quilts. It is hard when I try so hard to grow as a quilter and others make me feel like I am barely a quilter because I am not up to their skill levels. After reading that article, I doubt I would ever feel "good enough" to enter a quilt show or contest. He totally shredded beginner/intermediate quilters as living in denial of their own ability to create a worthwhile quilt for a quilt show.
Don't let anyone discourage you, every quilt is beautiful in it's own way. Some of the Big Name quilters are just a little bit full of themselves, they forget that all us underlings are the ones who put money in their pockets by buying their products. When I make a quilt for someone it isn't perfect but no-one to this day has ever said 'look at all these mistakes' or tried to give it back. Quilting is supposed to be fun not a contest, even at the Guild meetings.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

Some of the most loved and used quilts (one can tell - they are now in shreds) would never, ever be "show" quilts.

If a quilt is used and cherished, that is a "valuable" quilt - how many people remember with fond memories the quilt that was always stored in a closet because it was "too good to use"?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
The only rating system I have is this:

1. Ok...I can do that.
2. Ok...I can maybe do that.
3. Oh Cripes! THAT'S outta my league!
4. ~Whimper~ I'll NEVER be THAT good!

;)
:thumbup: What she said! :thumbup:
Old 05-23-2010, 05:27 PM

MistyMarie, Watson's Mom is so right! I agree with her post 100%. You do not allow anyone to discourage you! Enjoy the process of making quilts and keep on keeping on. Chances are, you will be the only one that will see your mistakes. Bet you have never had someone decline to take one of your quilts have you? AND I doubt that you ever will. Hugs!
Old 05-23-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Some of the most loved and used quilts (one can tell - they are now in shreds) would never, ever be "show" quilts.

If a quilt is used and cherished, that is a "valuable" quilt - how many people remember with fond memories the quilt that was always stored in a closet because it was "too good to use"?
I have three of those RIGHT NOW in my house. My great grandmother made them and my grandmother put them in the closet... never to be used. I rescued them from my uncle (who was using them as tarps!). My sister took two and I took the other three. We are THRILLED to have them and we are using them.