Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Let go of my quilts >
  • Let go of my quilts

• Let go of my quilts

Old 12-20-2009, 04:02 PM
    Power Poster

Cindygale, shame on your son for not speaking up and saying no that's not right. The quilts were made so each child will have one. What right did she have to decide this? What type of person would steal a gift from a child, a child in the family no less! I would make the two kids another one and you will know to mail the quilts to the kid's house. So sorry your DIL would do this to your grandkids and to you and your son allowing it to happen. I guess that would hurt me the most, my son not standing up for his kids.
    Old 12-20-2009, 04:31 PM

yes i guess i will know better next time..am very hurt. hubby talked to son about it..so don't know what is to happen..i will make 2 more if i need too. just the idea..have made one quilt for son/dil and wont make another..dil is very controling..when they were first married she was really nice and all but she makes the rules and told me what she says goes..so we keep it cool for son and grandkids but wont trust her..have to be careful of everything now..too bad..she is like a different person now and even son has made that comment.
    Old 12-20-2009, 05:38 PM

last time I was at my brothers house I saw a quilt I made for one of his kids being used as a curtian :shock: :shock: :shock:
    TACKED UP THERE! TOP SIDE TO THE SUN!

needless to say.... they are NOT getting one more of my quilts!

I cant dictate to them AFTER it is given, it was a GIFT. but I can control WHO gets one and who WONT.
    Old 12-20-2009, 06:04 PM

i agree. my heavens a curtain..well i will make sure my quilts will be well loved before i gift them. i like them used and loved but don't like people being selfish..
    Old 12-21-2009, 05:45 AM

Same thing happened to me. I made a baby quilt for close friends (their first baby) and YEARS later they showed it to me folded up in a drawer. Too good to use, they said. So now it will never be loved by the, not so little anymore, boy. Did they ever get another? Yeah, I learn slowly, but it was a lap quilt, which they folded (what's with the folding?) and placed over the back of the sofa. Will they get another? They JUST bought their first house. NOPE. I finally learned. Unless I give them something prefolded (LOL).
    bev. :]
    Old 12-21-2009, 06:10 AM

So sorry
    Old 12-21-2009, 06:53 AM

jljack. now that's a good idea! I must explain hoever, that where we stay in South Africa, we need to travel at least two ours to get to a quilt shop. Now, you don't understand what I mean by a quilt shop if you didn't see this. I saw a real quilt shop when I visited my children in Australia. So, our best deals is to order by mail from America or Australia, and with the currency, the material is quite expensive. That is really what breaks my heart. The fact that I spend so much money for a quilt, but you are all right. I will look at it with their eyes and follow jljack's advice.
    Old 12-21-2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
    When I first started quilting I made all 4 grandkids a quilt.
    My one daughter let her 2 kids drag the quilts around all over. They took them in the car, outside to play with them and even bought them to Florida twice.
    The second time they came I spent quite a while repairing the quilts. They were tied and not sturdy enough for these kids.

My other daughter's two girls got a quilt also. I have never seen them use it. I don't even know where they are keeping it.

Guess which kids will get another quilt from Grandma?

The ones that loved them and used them to death!

:-D
    Susiequilt, I couldn't agree more! The very first quilt I made was for my granddaughter almost 14 years ago. She wouldn't let go of it even to be washed, and eventually loved it completely to death. I made quilts for the next two grandkids (different mom!), and I never saw those quilts again. The kids never used them, and don't seem to know they even exist. Makes me sad.
    Old 12-21-2009, 08:49 AM
    CRH

I made my grandchildren baby quilts and they seem to be well used and not abused. For the "drag around years" I made fleece blankets with blanket binding around the edges, and they cuddle up with those, even bring them here for sleepovers. Now I am getting patterns and fabrics together to make them single bed size quilts so I am pretty confident they will be appreciated also. The oldest 2 are 7 yrs old, so I'd better get quilting!!
    Old 12-21-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rina
    jljack. now that's a good idea! I must explain hoever, that where we stay in South Africa, we need to travel at least two ours to get to a quilt shop. Now, you don't understand what I mean by a quilt shop if you didn't see this. I saw a real quilt shop when I visited my children in Australia. So, our best deals is to order by mail from America or Australia, and with the currency, the material is quite expensive. That is really what breaks my heart. The fact that I spend so much money for a quilt, but you are all right. I will look at it with their eyes and follow jljack's advice.
    That's the right attitude, Rina. I agree with everyone about being disappointed if the quilt ends up folded up in a drawer or closet....what good is that? A quilt should be used, dragged, mauled, hugged, lugged, folded, draped, stuffed, wrapped, hung, spread, .....but overall LOVED and USED. That's it's purpose in life. That's why we make them. Every quilt doesn't have to be a work of art....if it's meant to be a child's bed quilt, make it to that "level" of use. That's how I do it.....it works for our family. I love all the points of view here.