Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Disappointed >

Disappointed

Disappointed

Old 10-03-2011, 05:42 AM

I bought my LA this year and I only do my own. Then I have only myself to grump at if it is not exactly as I hoped it would be. So far I have been very pleased at the results, but I have ripped out a few spots as I was going along to fix some minor "goofs". Practise, practise, practise some more and maybe I will quilt for a friend.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:57 AM

It looks lovely to me. I would not unquilt it. I would move on to your next project and find another LAQ.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:07 AM

What a sad situation - It looks like she really didn't do a pattern that enhanced your work, rather it just "did the job" to hold the sandwich together. I can't imagine taking it apart, would just chalk it up to experience, and move on to a new masterpiece - with a different LAQ partner if you choose to use another one again. :cry:
Old 10-03-2011, 06:18 AM

I don't think I would like this quilting either. I am sure the quilter's heart is in the right place but I would clarify more with her or switch quilters.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:23 AM

I'm sorry you are disappointed with the quilting. I think your quilt looks lovely from the picture.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:45 AM

I am a longarm quilter, and I always make sure my client knows exactly what I am going to do before I do it. The only think I may have done differently, from what I can see, is maybe a closer pattern, the quilting patterns seems a little far spaced, but the quilt is still beautiful. Try another LA next time and see if there is a difference.
Michelle
Old 10-03-2011, 07:00 AM

One way to feel good about your quilts is to do it yourself! I really mean that. At first your quilting won't be perfect, but the finished product is all yours... and for many of us that counts for a lot! Do some baby quilts, small charity quilts, etc., until you are ready to do a big one. SID or make simple templates you can chalk on and follow or use a very simple template from a magazine. Most quilts are quilted so close that they lose the softness that IS quilts.

My first big quilt was a queen and was quilted using a small necked babylock. OK, my quilting isn't going to win any huge prize, but my quilts have won prizes despite the home job. Dare to do your own! If you are making gifts, or ones for yourself, consider doing your own. I can't imagin trying to get a picture of what I want out of my head and into the head of another. Saves money, too.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:32 AM

I understand your angst. I am sorry for your disappointment.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:50 AM

yes you can unsew it takes time and you have to be careful not to get a hole in it. i had to unsew the first quilt i ever did on the longarm. i did not like it but the lady did .but i told i could a better job. so i redid it and it look a lot better.then the lady did like it a lot better. so by doing that i get all her quilts to do.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 AM

If you're disappointed with it I would take out the quilting because if you don't you will never like the quilt. You've put too much work into it to fold it up and stash it away. I'd be sure and make your preference of quilting pattern known next time so you're not faced with this again.