Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilts have you made? >

How many quilts have you made?

How many quilts have you made?

Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 AM
QM
Power Poster

I have 502 completed and a bunch of UFOs, including 4 flimsies. I started in late 2000 when I became officially disabled. What I have not been doing is holding down an outside job, or playing with my grands who are 3000 miles away. The first 300 or so were almost entirely bed quilts.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 AM

What an interesting thread! I know it isn't a race and there isn't going to be a winner, because we are all winners, just to enjoy a hobby we love. I started quilting 3 years ago when I retired. At that time my sister encouraged me to keep count of my quilts on my calendar, as she had been quilting 12 years and sure wished she knew how many she had made.

So I did. I have made 52 quilts, plus 7 cat-sized quilts and three miniatures. I quilt my own, usually SID, which I happen to really like. I have 2 quilt tops ready to be sandwiched now. I have become a serial quilter!!

Quilt on!!

Dina
Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 PM

Well - I have to chime in as one of the "moderate" quilters. I am retired now, but became a quilter wanna be in the 3rd grade. My grandmother had passed on, and I snagged some Sunbonnet Sue squares from her sewing items as we were clearing out her things. I kept them, had no idea how to complete the quilt, no one to ask or teach me, and they stayed in my storage area with my dollies for years. Those squares lit the "quilting fire" in me.

The same grandmother had a whole cloth tied quilt that I also claimed, and I used that for years, taking it to collage with me and on to my new life as a bride. Life took its toll on that quilt, and I got bold and decided to re-cover it in my twenties. I knew I didn't have the know how or patience to do a genuine patchwork quilt, but I designed a two tone large piece pattern, with two different sides to recover Grandmother's quilt. I made it and enlisted my hubby to help me tie it with yarn. It was the family standard for picnics for years, and my firstborn took it off to college with him.

Since my inaugural quilt, I have quilted on and off (mostly off) for years. I have done 17 baby quilts, 6 bed sized quilts, 9 or 10 mini's or wall hangings, and have SEVERAL UFOs waiting for me downstairs. I quilted here in Delaware for 9 or so years once a week with a small group of friends on Tuesday nights to make strictly charity lap quilts and kid quilts. I don't really have a count on those - they were done by us all, and were well received.

I mostly machine piece, and am trying to get better at FMQing on my Janome6600. I have hand quilted quite a few, but machine work is definitely faster, if I could just get a little better at it. I usually have several projects going at once, but am trying this year to clear out the UFOs. Easier said than done with my wandering mind!

I don't usually read whole threads here, but have enjoyed reading all the others, so thought I'd chime in. We all have our own stories, don't we!!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

I have a list of all my quilts,comforters, etc.

I have made 26 quilts and hand quilted them, includes some baby and crib quilts.

90 Machine quilted quilts - includes a few baby and crib quilts.

16 comforters --- 10 Biscuit quilts (or puff)

1 Wall hanging

I started at 21 yo. Didn't make many until I started machine quilting. I have quilted all my quilts. I have given most to friends and family and some people I don't even know.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:42 PM

From August to December last year I did 12 complete twin to full quilts all for Christmas. Did a few before and after
Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 PM

I have been quilting for almost three years. So far I have seven large quilts and four toddler quilts completed. I have two that need to have the hand stiching done, four queen tops complete and three more cut out.

All but one of the quilts were "stich in the ditch" quilting. I ventured out and tried free motion on one of the smaller ones.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 PM

hundreds (30 to 50 a year) various sizes, thousands if you count the ones in my 'dreams'- lol
Old 03-21-2013, 01:59 PM

I started quilting 3 years ago. Since then, I have completed 25 quilts. I have 3 more quilts at the LAQ and 3 quilts that I have made into quilt sandwiches and am in the process of quilting. I didn't do much quilting my first year; but this year, I quilt every chance I get. My goal this year was to make a quilt a month; but so far, I have been making 2 a month. I love, love, love quilting!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 PM

I just started quilting last July 2012. I have made 11 twin size and 2 baby quilts. I piece them and then quilt them on my Husqvarna Viking Ruby embroidery machine.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:11 PM

I lap quilt completed, two wall hanging, and one small quilt for my cat's kitty condo. At least 6 top of various sizes waiting for sandwiching and quilting. Down to 3 UFOs. Once UFOs are done as tops, they will join the waiting for sandwiching and quilting group and I am free to start new projects!!! WOO HOO!