Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Have a Vegtable garden? >

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 AM

My last post looked like we only had tomatoes and peppers, but in actuality we have so much more...our greatest variety to date.
3 Roma Tomatoes, 2 Health Kick Tomatoes
6 Mortgage Lifter Tomatoes, 6 Sweet Banana Peppers
9 Paprikas, 2 Hungarian Wax Peppers
9 Green Bells, 2 Jalepeno Peppers
6 Cubanelle Peppers, 2 Red Chili Peppers
3 rows (5’ wide) carrots, 2 Gypsy Peppers
1 Chive, 6 Hot Banana Peppers

DH LIKE TO MAKE SALSA - CAN YOU TELL? :)

1 Zucchini, 6 Egg Plants
3 Cucumbers, 2 Rows (16’ long) Spinach
Oregano, Blue Lake Green Beans
Parsnips, Sweet Onions
Sage, Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans
1 Row (16’ long) Lettuce, Italian Parsley
Black Raspberry

This is what we have in various containers or flowerbeds around the property.
10 Roma Tomatoes 10 Tri-color Baby Bells
3 Mortgage Lifter Tomatoes 10 Paprikas
20 Strawberries, 1 Blueberry
5 Elephant Garlic, 1 Sweet Banana Pepper
Red Raspberry
I have since given away about 10 tomato plants and 2 baby bells to friends and relatives since they were in small pots with no where else to put them. I'm glad someone could use them and they didn't die while waiting for a home.
HAPPY GARDENING EVERYONE!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
My garden has tomatos, pole beans, summer squash, basil, peppers, kohlrabi, broccoli, cabbage, onions, sugar snap and snow peas. With clay soil, the cabbage family and onions always do well.

I'm also trying four eggplant seedlings... I'm not sure if the season will be long enough / hot enough to get anything off of these. But I'm thinking that if our local garden stores always sell eggplant seedlings, they must be appropriate for our area.

Anyone out there growing eggplants? That could tell me whether I can expect success or failure? (I'm in the colder part of zone 5, first frost comes mid-late September, first measurable snow historically is around October 12th. Oops, sorry, I probably should NOT have mentioned snow!!)
I think I'm a zone south of you (in New Jersey, right outside NYC). 2 years ago, the eggplants did great. Last year, since it rained EVERY DAY for a MONTH (no sun at all) in may or june (I forget now), I got 2 or 3 tiny eggplant last year (from plants from seeds). This year, we bought a pack of seedlings from the garden store, and they're growing, but the bugs seem to be having a party on them (leaving everything else in the garden alone)
Old 06-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

Eggplants are notorious for getting eaten by bugs. Dust them well and often with Sevin dust and you'll be fine.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:23 PM

I have a garden in the front and back yard... we planted 30 tomatoe plants, 20 green pepper, about 20 cantalope, 35 yellow squash, 200 corn plants, 3 watermelon, lettuce, onions, zuchini, potatoes, sweet potatoes, eggplant, collards, green beans, wax beans and cucumbers, we have gotten cucumbers, peppers, beans, eggplant and tomatoes( although I am having to pick them green before the birds have them for dinner... we are very blessed this year with a good harvest ...
Old 06-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

Wow, Sandpat, you must be South of me...your garden is huge, and WONDERFUL! I love looking at all the pictures, so fun. There sure are alot of gardeners....trying to save money like me, or just for fun?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:08 PM

Yes, but can't tell you the exact size. Green Beans, Peas, Onions, Lettuce, Spinach, Beets, Radishes, Carrots, Zucchini and Yellow Squash, 27 Tomato Plants, Cucumbers, Rhubarb, Raspberries. I had to replant 6 Tomatoes, because they might have drowned. Iowa has had too much rain. Have to fence in the Peas, Spinach and Lettuce so that I can have some before the rabbits. I still need to get some Pumpkins planted. Didn't get my Broccoli or Cabbage in early enough. I have tried Egg Plant, Corn, Watermelon, Muskmelon, Green Peppers, Lima Beans in past years. I really hope the Tomatoes do well this year, as the last 3 years have been awful. I need to get some canned. I haven't canned Green Beans since my mom died 6 years ago, because she was the expert of her pressure canner. I can at least do Tomatoes in a water bath cooker. Also can't wait for the Zucchini Squash so that I can make a Chocolate Zucchini Cake! Yum!! I put Rhubarb in the freezer for when my SIL comes for a visit from AZ in July. She wants me to make my Grandmothers' Swedish Rhubarb Pie. Yum!!
Old 06-08-2010, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by NewYearsOld
I haven't canned Green Beans since my mom died 6 years ago, because she was the expert of her pressure canner.
I scalded my hands with my pressure canner last year - canning string beans! (but they have been delicious all winter, that's for sure) That thing is scary! If you need to, you can probably find the book for yours online.

I planted 3x as many beans this year and I'm looking forward to having enough to last all winter this time. Last year was our first for beans. the Burpee bush beans were bearing fruit for 2+ months continuously last summer.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

Oh, Zuchini chocolate cake is a favortite around here, too!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

topaz...:shock:...you must feed everyone in Pensacola and a few in Gulf Breeze!!! That is a HUGE amount to plant!

Thanks Carrie...it is a really nice one this year..everything just happened at the right time for a change.

Hmmm...I'm now thinking about chocolate zuchini cake ...got a good recipe????
Old 06-08-2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm

Last year stunk for tomatoes but we canned about 75 pints of pickles.
We got the dreaded cucumber beetle last year which killed all our cucs and then caused wilt disease on our tomatoes. Not a good season. I hope this season will be better. We have beetle traps, but there is not much we can do about the rain. The ground really needs to dry out a bit, but we're due for more rain (1" or more) tomorrow. sigh....