Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone feel overwhelmed by their stash? >

Anyone feel overwhelmed by their stash?

Anyone feel overwhelmed by their stash?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:37 AM

Sometimes I wonder why I have all that I do, Will I ever use it all? I have one huge bookcase and one huge tote. Decided that I am going to use what I have as much as I can, but it seems there is always one more color a person needs to compliment or finish. But I guess 1 is better....
Old 01-14-2011, 06:37 AM

Me too!! Me too!! I have decided this year to cut up most of my current stash into different sizes (honey buns, layer cakes, jellies, fat quarters, charms, etc.) so that I can buy some of the latest fabrics. Actually, cutting the fabric up may be an incentive to quilt more and I won't have time to buy more fabric.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:38 AM

I'm SO glad that I'm not the only one!!!! I cannot resist new fabric, especially when the mfg's come out with such beautiful ones! I'm a new quilter so my husband hasn't gotten used to the amount of fabric I "need". We recently moved and he got to see the total amount - he nearly had a stroke. Too bad. Anyway, I do like the insulation idea, although I had been using the retirement logic. THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH FABRIC!!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:56 AM

I was overwhelmed with it but since I've put all the fat quarters in baskets, and folded all the yardage on comic book boards and I can see what I own I have been using it up. I like some of it so much I bought it three times, not remembering the first two purchases....crazy, crazy me
Old 01-14-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric
I was overwhelmed with it but since I've put all the fat quarters in baskets, and folded all the yardage on comic book boards and I can see what I own I have been using it up. I like some of it so much I bought it three times, not remembering the first two purchases....crazy, crazy me
I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one that buys the same fabric more than once not remembering you already have it. Happened to me this fall. Bought a kit with some nice Christmas fabric in it. A couple months later bought some yardage and got home thinking it looked familiar. Checked my kits and found it in there. Guess that tells me I liked it! And I actually got both of them made up in time for Christmas!!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sassylass
You do realize by getting more stash your helping to insulate your home from the cold or heat. :)
Thats my story and I am sticking to it....going to go and buy more insulation on Sat.50% off sale :)
sass
Good answer! Do you think my husband will agree?? He never understands my need to buy more fabric. While I love to make things, I also like to collect fabrics I fall in love with. You know -- if you don't buy it when you see something you like it won't be available when you want it.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:16 AM

I certainly get overwhelmed to the point I gave away a lot
Old 01-14-2011, 08:03 AM

Beginning right now, I will not buy any more quilt kits, or fabric until I finish what I have. (Excluding the 3 block of the month programs). I know I must have at least 60 kits. Since I work full time (extra during tax season), I estimate 3 quilts per month - maybe more because some are wall hangings. I will let my subscriptions go so I won't be distracted....what was that???
Old 01-14-2011, 08:09 AM

I got to a point with my stash where I lost interest in buying more fabric. I don't buy nearly as much as I used to. I do get overwhelmed by scraps however, and I'm not saving them as judiciously as I once did.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:26 AM

My son tells me my fabrics are my "vice", don't drink, or smoke or any other things that use money. Can't travel any more because of hubby's health, so my "vice" fills my spirit. I also help with quilts at church and took litterly tubs of fabrics to church for our quilting group. It is amazing what we can do with all that fabric I had kept for years. We have spent less than $300 at church and given over 80 lap quilts and 4 queen size quilts from fabrics that 3 people contributed to the projects, as well as 30+ pillowcases for the 1M project. We also sewed up hand bags, place mats, pot holders, other small items that brought over $1,000 to our church auction. I have also gifted PL over 50yards of fabrics for those who can sew but don't have fabrics.

Now, my stash is much more managable and I still buy from time to time, but more selective. I don't even remember what the fabrics I gave away looked like, just know I needed something new and fresh.

Have fun, clean out those you won't use and gift to a group that can use them. Enjoy the rest!