Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-12-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
your little 128 is a twin to mine. The size belies the weight on that machine. Could they have used any heavier cast iron.? I still haven't cleaned mine up, but she sewed when I tried her out at her former home.
Isn't it unbelievable that something so dainty looking could weigh SO MUCH!! What do you plan to use to clean the crinkle finish? Do you think kerosene would damage it?

Do you have the spoke hand wheel? Have you thought about putting a hand crank on it?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
My orphaned Singer 128 arrived today via FedEx, Bentwood case intact. Pretty good shape after 69 years, I think.

And both the slide plates are frozen shut...any hints on how to break through the years of crud?
I was just reading about this problem the other day. It is from Treadle Lady's booklet (which I highly recommend):
"Slide plates are sometimes stuck, penetrant and a little force will loosen them. Be careful with force, too much can damage parts. The back slide plate of a vibrating shuttle machine should fit tight so it does not slide out easily when sewing. They are often very difficult to remove" She says that you can place a small block of wood in front of the back slide plate and tap it with a small hammer.

Even if your machine isn't a vibrating shuttle machine I hope this info can help you get them loose.

ETA: I'm glad that your bentwood case came through without being in a million pieces. How did the shipper wrap everything?
I would also like to know how the shipper wrapped everything. Planning to ship one old girl out soon and want to have her arrive safely. Thanks for your advice.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls
[ I would also like to know how the shipper wrapped everything. Planning to ship one old girl out soon and want to have her arrive safely. Thanks for your advice.
See my reply to Cathy a couple of posts back.

Also, look at Cindy Peters' site. She has a "tutorial" on packing machines!
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...43057181vFiRJj
Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 PM

Thanks whenpigsfly.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:07 PM

Mine doesn't look like it needs much cleaning. I just tried wiping a little area with OrangeGlo cleaner. The cloth was very black - dirt or finish? I am going to leave it alone until the light is better.
Have you seen Billy's tutorials on cleaning vintage machines? Looks scary, but doable. I mean how many parts can it have?

I cleaned the bentwood case with OrangeGlo - now I have some Olde English for it. I decided on the dark. I hope it's the right choice.

Word to the wise - when I picked the machine up by the top, the wooden base fell apart. I was able to reglue it and add some shims, but it wasn't fun working with one hand while I held the little heavyweight out of the way.

My handwheel is solid and, no, I have no desire to convert her to a handcrank as long as I live in an area with electricity. Miss Mamie can be electric.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Have you seen Billy's tutorials on cleaning vintage machines? Looks scary, but doable. I mean how many parts can it have?

Yes, it was Billy's detailed tutorial that made me believe I could actually attempt disassembling and cleaning!

The frame of mine doesn't LOOK dirty, but -- if the grunge on the edge of the open case is an indicator -- the whole thing is filthy!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned

Cleaning one is easy I do it all the time!! :lol: It looks like it will be a really nice machine when you get finished with it, excellent score!!!

Billy
Old 01-12-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Cleaning one is easy I do it all the time!! :lol: It looks like it will be a really nice machine when you get finished with it, excellent score!!!

Billy
Thanks, Billy!

Notice I haven't PM'd you once about how to clean it or rewire it ...yet !!!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 PM

HI Billy,

I was given this Pfaff and it works, but I have a slight problem, I am missing a part. This being a tiny little piece that is supposed to attach on the front of the cam lever - to active the different cams to do decretive stitches. Can you help?

Thanks Helen
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159288.jpe   attachment-159289.jpe  
Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher

Nancy, Where is this guy in VA. How can my DH contact him. We are living on the VA line and could possibably go see him.
Thanks

Trish, I will send him an e-mail and ask him where in VA he is lcoated. I don't remember what the address label said on the needles I bought.

Nancy
Trish, he is in Alexandria. Do you know where that is?

Nancy