Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >
  • On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

• On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-07-2017, 05:06 AM

I love seeing everyone's progress. I used to get bogged down in choices on which fabric to pair with which in a unit and a few years ago someone suggested it didn't matter when you see the quilt as a whole especially with little pieces so now basically I am a little faster. I guess I am trying to say I am incrementally relaxing on the unit choices after I decide on the quilt fabric choices. I have cut the flying geese pieces, in about 3 different waves of cutting where I cut some, sew some and begin again. (I cut more after I have sewed a few combos - when I need new combos adding to the old...fabric from the first cut is sitting there waiting for new cuts to be added)

I think working on a project with others like this forum helps open my eyes. I used to think my procrastination was based on perfectionism but reading posts this morning makes me realize that in some areas my procrastination is about feeling overwhelmed with choices.

Last edited by Pagzz; 12-07-2017 at 05:14 AM.
    Old 12-07-2017, 06:13 AM

Pagzz, if we had a like button, i’d Be hitting it right about now!
    Old 12-07-2017, 06:20 AM
    Power Poster

Great thoughts, Pagzz. You are right about the choices. You just want to get all your fabrics into the quilt. For the geese, I just want to be sure I am putting two different neutrals on either side of my center triangle. Other than that, once the fabric is cut I just grab and sew.
    Old 12-07-2017, 07:06 AM

I purchased my material but my mom fell and broke her pelvic so have not even taken material out of bag! 🙁 Hoping I can catch up. Finished BHMQ TOP last year but haven’t Quilted it yet! Hope to eventually!!
    Old 12-07-2017, 07:08 AM

Wow, you have all been busy bees! (Or geese?)

Impressive collection of fabrics, rryder! You will make Bonnie proud!

GramE and windblown, I like your controlled scrappies. My last MQ was controlled scrappy and I find it calming to look at.

Miss Rita, I love your kitty-cat goose! Too cute.

Carol and Retiredteacher, such pretty fabrics you each have!

I'm still staying positive that I can finish mine by tomorrow. Only 36 more neutral wings and the whole gaggle to press and trim up.... Do you think I can do it?

Last edited by NZquilter; 12-07-2017 at 07:09 AM. Reason: added comment
    Old 12-07-2017, 07:26 AM
    Power Poster

Yes NZ, I believe in you!

SoBuzy, I am sorry for your mom's mishap. Hope she is doing well rehabbing. Just keep downloading the weekly clues and you can do the quilt at your own pace.

There are always those who don't decide to join in until late, or until they see the what the finished quilt looks like. There should always be someone to sew with... I still have my Allietare to finish putting together and quilting, from two mysteries ago.
    Old 12-07-2017, 08:23 AM

This time I used matching wings on each of my geese. But still used a dozen different neutrals, so lots of scrappy too!
    Old 12-07-2017, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by GramE
    Lisa, that word DECISIONS is the problem I have with scrappy. I’m ADHD enough that I have trouble making decisions that don’t matter. Now if the house was on fire I could easily decide to get out. But deciding if this blue goes with this white or ecru drives me insane.
    That's so interesting. I have no trouble making decisions such as what blue goes with what ecru, but I would have trouble deciding what aqua to use if I were only using one, LOL!

retiredteacher09, I love your units!

Podunk Princess, that's a beautiful flying goose! What other colors are you using?

SoBuzy, so sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope she has a smooth recovery, and that you're able to join in before long.

I'm frustrated and disappointed today. I've been using the folded corners ruler, finding it slow and tedious, but thinking it was all worth it because I was getting perfect geese. Not! Why is it that my practice piece is always perfect, but nothing that comes after?

These geese aren't quite as bad as my Easy Angle/Companion results; for the most part, the bottoms are nice and square, and the center top is where it should be, but those darned side pieces are wonky. I should be able to use them all, but it's very annoying. I guess I should have chosen the trim down option. I think the next time flying geese come my way, I'll try the four-at-a-time method.
    Old 12-07-2017, 08:47 AM

SoBusy- I'm sorry to hear about your mom's hip.

I finally got all the geese finished--pic below. I am now off to get laser surgery on my right eye. I'm told I may not be able to do much for the next couple of days, but hopefully I'll be able to make a start on Clue No. 1 and Clue No. 3 this weekend.
    Rob
    Attached Thumbnails img_1629.jpg  
    Old 12-07-2017, 09:33 AM
    Power Poster

Those look super yummy, Rob! I think you have chosen fabrics really well.