Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more? >
  • How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

• How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

Old 02-12-2013, 05:59 AM

I have to add my comments also. The first quilt that I took to a LA was a disappointing experience. It took numerous calls to her to find out when she would have it done. When it was finally done she did not bother to show me the back with all of the loopy stitches in one corner which I discovered when I got ready to bind it. Needless to say I never took another quilt to her.

To me a special quilt needs a special and talented LA quilter and is worth the price of shipping. All of my special quilts go to Charisma and we always have numerous Email discussions regarding the quilting designs, thread, etc. I trust her talent and art explicitly.
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:00 AM

I am a LA quilter for hire and I use batting and thread color of customers choice. it is noted on their order form. I do use certain brands of thread that my LA likes but I have many colors and with customer if they bring their quilt to me pick out the thread color and note it on the form. IF don't have right color I will get it and same with panto patterns will order one if needed. I do all types of quilting. find a new quilter.
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:09 AM

And why do you go to this person??? The first quilt I had quilted was ripples to look like water, One of the rows wasn't spaced correctly. The mistake was obvious. Since I mailed it to her and it was a small quilt I lived with it but never used her again. I went to someone else and she didn't center my back borders. When I told her she took all the stitching out and re-did the quilt without any additonal charge.. I've taken several quilts to her and will continue to use her. Anyone can make a mistake but they need to stand behind their woirk if they're taking money for it. Find someone else.
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:11 AM

I moved to the Florida panhandle three years ago, a rural area. While I still consider myself a novice, I am very proud of the quilt tops I have pieced and sent for quilting. Two years ago, I delivered two lap quilt tops, batting, thread, backing fabric, and binding to a woman in the next county for quilting. We had already discussed my quilt tops what I envisioned, etc. The first one was returned to me with a different quilting pattern than we discussed, but it was okay. I accepted it and paid her for both. The second was returned to me with incompetent stitching in white (on a navy blue fabric). By incompetent, I mean it was not the stitching pattern we had discussed, there were loops, knots, inconsistent stitch lengths, etc. It was in essence, a mess. And, the back showed a seam down the middle. She said I had not brought her enough fabric to do anything other than piece the back; I know this is not true as I purchased the backing at a very reputable quilt store in Panama City, and even bought extra length. I told her that what she delivered was not what I had asked for and told her I would like her to redo the quilting. She said she would be happy to do so for an additional $200 to remove the existing stitching. She also had no "leftovers" to return to me, and I had sent extra thread and additional yardage. I was absolutely appalled. Now, two years later, I have finally picked out all the poor stitching. Guess what I found on the inside? Par for the venture, the batting was pieces of cotton and poly not even stitched together. I hope this shyster put my purchases to good use!
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:26 AM

Happened to me also. After discussing the quilt motif, thread color, etc, when I picked up my quilt it was not done as we discussed, not even close. After taking some time to cool down, I called the LA and asked why she did not do the quilt as per our discussion. Her reply, Oh dear, how good do you think we are?? No apology, nothing. Never went back. I have sense taken a class on a LA and rent the time to quilt my own. Never been happier. Quilts might not be perfect, but they are done the way I want!!!
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:30 AM

I would find some else, you are the paying customer and the customer is always right!
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 AM
    Power Poster

Like I said the quilting was fine, nice stitches and no puckers. I was pleased with the quilting just not the batting or color of thread. As another poster said, she was just a computer quilter. We have parted ways. Guild meeting is next week so I'll show the quilt and tell the members it's up to them if poly or white thread doesn't matter.
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 AM
    Power Poster

I've read all the responses and looks like you've done the right thing (asking for 50% refund and letting her know word-of-mouth carries a heavy stick). I was in your same shoes not that long ago and had to find a new LA'r. I too mail my quilts out and it really isn't the most ideal thing for me but until I learn to do my own I will continue to use her. She does everything I ask and uses what I give her. She only asks that she be allowed to use her thread but I pick the color.
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:52 AM

Enjoyed everyone's replies, and completely agree. I also wonder about your extra materials. personally, I would make her reimburse me for my quilt top. All of those materials, your time and energy . . . the way you will feel everytime you look at that quilt!

ugh . . I feel terrible for you!
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 AM

I agree with the "once is enough" comments. For me I quilt for the pleasure of it. Interacting with the LAer should be as enjoyable as the rest of the process. The snarky attitude would be enough to keep me from going back.

SewNso: I just finished a quilt that I used burgundy on the top and a sage green on the bottom. My machine has a well balanced stitch but when you are free motioning the operator makes a difference. In short the results were okay but I would never use different colors on a solid background again, I just am not that perfect. A printed background would have made a huge differance. Lesson learned.