Can't Sleep

Old 03-13-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by grayma
It is 1:30 in the a.m. and I am awake after only 3 hours of sleep. I am having a cup of decaf tea. What do you do when you can't sleep?
I have a sleeping disorder, I wake up 17 times a hour (sleep study) I have learned to feel rested but there are some nights when I just toss and turn. Dr. told me to just get up, when I feel I can sleep go back to bed. I do not want to take medication because as we take it our bodies adjust and we need more, so I live without it. Good luck to you.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:39 PM

If I have a quilt on the frame I go down and quilt maybe for 1 or 2 hrs and then go back to bed then sometimes I can fall a sleep.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:47 PM

I have a hard time staying asleep some nights also so I ordered a pillow speaker online and use that under my pillow to listen to relaxation music cds on my cd player (small round one from Wally World) which I have on the night-side table. I turn on the player and I image myself walking on the beach and I usually fall asleep before the cd is finished. The player cuts off automatically. Snooze. This may not work for anyone else but definitely does the job for me.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by LilQuilt
I have a hard time staying asleep some nights also so I ordered a pillow speaker online and use that under my pillow to listen to relaxation music cds on my cd player (small round one from Wally World) which I have on the night-side table. I turn on the player and I image myself walking on the beach and I usually fall asleep before the cd is finished. The player cuts off automatically. Snooze. This may not work for anyone else but definitely does the job for me.
Sounds awesome. The things they come up with these days.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:51 PM

I read a quilt mag. untill I go cross eyed then try to get some sleep.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:30 PM

For years I have take a zanax at bedtime so I don't have your problem. Sorry I can't help.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by grayma
It is 1:30 in the a.m. and I am awake after only 3 hours of sleep. I am having a cup of decaf tea. What do you do when you can't sleep?
If this is ongoing go to a sleep clinic to find out why you can't sleep.
I found that I had twitchy legs. I never really got to a deep sleep. So now I take medication for my legs still woke up etc. had to go to sleeping pills, but what a difference!!
Sometimes I would sew & look at the clock it's 3 AM then still couldn't turn my mind off. Kept telling myself I could work on a couple hrs of sleep. Right...
Old 03-13-2011, 06:00 PM

I have severe Restless Leg Syndrome and for years couldn't sleep because my legs had a mind of their own - I now take requip (which I would fight anyone for) and when I do go to sleep (usually only about 5 hours) I can sleep very well. Have been having very painful leg spasams lately and am back in the can't sleep mode again - thank goodness for the internet.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:11 PM

I was on meds. for restless legs I did not see were it helped me. Got on sleeping pils and started sleep walking and getting LOTS if junk food and took it to bed with me and ate most of it. Accused hubby of planting it there.. Needless to say tossed the pills. But the one that workrd the insurance will not pay for an it is $179. for 30 days so what am I to do?
Old 03-13-2011, 06:34 PM

I sit at my kitchen table and hand stitch.
Sleep three hours, up for five hours and then sleep two more hours and go to work. This type of sleep routine gets old after a couple of years.