Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why go to a quilt store??? >

Why go to a quilt store???

Why go to a quilt store???

Old 05-24-2011, 03:19 AM

I go for classes. I go for a better quality of fabric. They will order fabrics to meet my needs. I prefer to support local businesses. They are great people. They know what they are talking about. If there is a problem, they are still there and take care of it immediately. Exempleary customer service. (Which, in my opinion, doesn't exist in the chain stores.) My LQS treats you like family.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:48 AM

The fabric is of higher quality. If I'm going to put that much time into making something I want the best quality fabric I can get. The Joann store here has some fabric that is more expensive than my LQS! And my experience with Walmart fabric has been poor.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:52 AM

I go everywhere they have fabric. Another reason for the LQS is because most manufacturers have a line of their fabric that is only sold at independent quilt stores. Many of these are truly beautiful.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:57 AM

Recently I have bought quite a bit of fabric right here on QB. Excellent service, friendliness and quality of merchandise, excellent prices.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:15 AM

Our Local Quilt Shop honors JoAnns coupons up to 40% use to do 50 but JoAnns were putting out a lot of them so they just announced that 40 is the limit you can bring a 50% but will only get 40. That is pretty good for a small QS. They are just about the only one left around here in Huron County. There is Walmarts of course. To bad they don't honor Joanns coupons. The other Walmarts about 30 miles away use to have a punch card but ours never did. A small store about 18 miles away like a Ben Franklin they have some material not much just enough to say they have it.
WHY go to your LQS to keep them in business as Walmarts isn't very dependable and just might pull fabric out again or go to only yard cuts then what? Support you LQS as they are a dying breed.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
to be able to feel the fabric

also ours has fat quarters on sale the 25th of each month,

fun to go with my friends to the quilt shop
I love that idea .25 (1/4) fabric on the 25th of the month.

what a clever idea, wish ours would think up some really clever ideas to pass along to us.......
Old 05-24-2011, 04:20 AM

I belive in supporting small business in my community. If we don't eventually we won't have a choice but to go online and buy because they will be out of business. I like to feel the fabric. The prices are higher but the quality is always alot better. If I don't care about the quality I will go to JoAnns or Hancocks or Hobby Lobby, even Walmart. If I am working on a quilt where I do care about the quality I always go to my LQS to buy my fabric.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Because I can't grab 5 bolts and lay them out to see how they play together when I shop online - but I can do that at an LQS (I have never stuck to a single line of fabric).

Husband and I try whenever possible to support local small businesses. There are very sound econinomical reasons to do this.

And for all the other things folks mentioned - mostly the personal service.

Ditto. if we don't support them they will disappear. In addition 99% of the time I can find exactly what I am looking for. Emily
Old 05-24-2011, 04:21 AM

try to support small locally owned businesses whenever possible
Old 05-24-2011, 04:23 AM

Just another note at the JoAnns here I asked where the quilt batting was and the clerk did not even know what quilt batting was. I've never had a good experience there.