Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt? >

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

Old 08-11-2011, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by gaevren
It would really depend on whether or not you were doing hand-stitching or only machine-binding, I'd think.
I must be weird, 'cos I LOVE the hand stitching part.
Yep me as well :thumbup:
Old 08-11-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
Here's what I'm thinking:

Customer would supply the binding fabric, either pre-washed or not, as customer chooses. I would give guidance on the yardage needed for the size of quilt. I would cut the 2.5" strips on the straight grain, do diagonal seams.

Machine stitch to front, hand stitch to back.

After Googling prices, I think my dime per foot is low.

Any other thoughts?
Here's how I do it for my customers....

When they drop off their quilt, I have an invoice form that I have built in Excel. All I have to do is enter their measurements, and it shows what their prices would be for an all-over design, custom, etc. and they can choose according to their budget.

It also shows how many linear inches of binding they will need to go around their quilt, and how many inches of fabric they would need to cut their bindings. If they have already brought fabric with them, they are assured that they have enough. Then, my form shows prices based on whether they have prepared the binding, if they just want it attached to the front of the quilt, or if they need me to create the binding, and finally if they want me to hand stitch it for them. Just like the quilting, they can see prices and choose accordingly. Most folks choose to have me attach it to the front for them, particularly if it's a large quilt.

A lot will depend on how fast you can do a binding. Do a large quilt, and determine your price per hour. Then, break that down into linear feet (or inches), and set your rates from there. If you start with too low of a rate, you will be working for a dollar an hour, and you will get frustrated quickly. If you start too high, you won't have any customers! The best approach may be to say that your new (low) prices are introductory, and for a limited time only. If you create a brochure that reflects those low prices, make sure you include the words "Prices are subject to change without notice"....
Old 08-11-2011, 03:26 AM

You must mean 15 cents a running inch - at 15 cents a running foot you would only make $2.50 on a 50 x 50 baby quilt
Old 08-11-2011, 03:38 AM

I agree that binding is not as rewarding as the rest of the quilt, but it gives me the opportunity to give the quilt a good look, before it is completely finished (which is of course the reward of having another UFO out of my sewing room).
Old 08-11-2011, 04:13 AM

This sounds reasonable to me. Binding by hand, on the reverse, can be time consuming, and to do a good job, you need to be careful, so a flat fee for Crib size, Full size, etc.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by gaevren
It would really depend on whether or not you were doing hand-stitching or only machine-binding, I'd think.
I must be weird, 'cos I LOVE the hand stitching part.
Me, too!!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 AM

Right now I would pay the fifteen cents in a heart beat. I am surely struggling with the binding on a quilt. Have started twice and will be undoing for the second time today. Why is it so difficult?
Old 08-11-2011, 05:20 AM

nah I actually like to do the binding. It is calming It feels completed!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:27 AM

I do binding for people in my local area. I charge 1.50 per foot for machine and 3.00 a foot for sewing on the front and turning to the back and stitching by hand. Customer just needs to let me know the size so they can bring the fabric for binding as I prefer to make the binding.
Brenda
Old 08-11-2011, 05:38 AM

I did one for a lady and charged her $50.00 it was a queen size quilt I shopped for the fabric and cut it and put it on and hand stitched it my self it takes a little time to do it I do it so you can't see the stitching. I used to machine quilt it but I like the look of the hand stitching now.......