Thoughts on HE washer?

Old 09-16-2013, 01:16 AM

I have the HE washer, front load. It's okay. But it doesn't remove lint or animal hair like my old washer did. When we bought it none of the new washers regular or HE had the old fashioned lint trap that sat on the agitator, nor any substitute that I could see. I get little lint balls stuck on my clothes. But it cleans okay. And does use less water.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:56 AM

I love mine! No problems with washing quilts, etc. my clothes come out cleaner than with my old washer. It is gentler on clothes because of no agitator. The lint trap on mine is located near the bottom of the machine.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:18 AM

I have a Maytag top loader ----- HATE it! Won't balance, can't add anything, Blanket/comforter setting agitates twice as fast as a "normal" setting (beates them to death!!!), can't run a HOT setting, and on, and on. I hope it shakes itself to death soon so I can maybe find something better. (probably not...sad)
Old 09-16-2013, 04:24 AM

I have an LG set & have had it for about 4 yrs. I like it BUT I do not feel it cleans as well as my old top loading machine. I have talked with several owners of front loading machines & they feel the same.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:31 AM

I too have front loaders that are HE, I purchased my first set of them in 2001, just got my new ones a couple months ago and I love love love them. My old ones were still working great after 12 years, we remodeled and the color didnt go with the new laundry room, you can stack them on top of each other or put them side by side. I have had them both ways, my new ones are side by side and instead of purchasing the drawers that go beneath them my DH built me a platform to put mine on. Also on the He detergent you can still use regular detergent just not as much. As for the odor, with my old set I did notice that if I used liquid detergent instead of powder that is when I would get the odor, so I went back to powder and no problem, I have never had any problem of my clothes not getting wet everywhere no dry spots on them. I actually highly commend them. If you need to open the washer during the cycle all you have to do is hit the pause button.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:05 AM

I'm on my second set. The first was the Maytag Neptune washer & dryer. It had serious issues, poor design. After 4 years, had to have it repaired $400. 3 years later, needed repair again, $700. Loved the FL feature. So I bought another FL, Whirlpool Duet. I prewash all my fabric. DH did road construction. We are talking lots and lots of dirt. No problem. No problem w/odors, mold, etc. I have dyed clothing in mine. I hate when my black jeans are grey, so periodically, I dye them black again. I wash everything in it, even large dog beds. I especially like it for quilts, because it does not agitate. I would buy another Whirlpool Duet.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:30 AM

I have a top loading HE and do not like it. When you have clothes that run the full cycle and then multiple items come out of the washer with areas that didn't even get wet, then I think there is a problem. Of course I'm stuck with the piece of junk for the next 20 years because in this house when you buy something, it's yours until it poops out or I poop out. Hubby doesn't get rid of anything (guess I should be glad he doesn't, otherwise he would have traded me in a long time ago. lol). Think about the front loading machine.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:45 AM

If your clothes are extremely dirty/greasy I don't think they work very well. Less water means less cleaning action. I had to buy a new one and even the clerk, whose husband was a farmer, didn't recommend them for people who worked in dirty environments. I did not buy one.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

I purchased some Lestoil on line and that helped with some mechanics rags to get the oil out. I've used it to wipe mildew off of different surfaces. My neighbor still has her mother's wringer washer from the 50s and uses it. She also uses the clothes line out back. She has the cleanest clothes in the neighborhood and rarely uses bleach on the whites. They also smell great!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by mimim View Post
Mine is a top-loader. I do like the no-agitator part, but I do not think my clothes get as clean or rinse as well. Even using bleach with my white towels--they still look dingy. This didn't happen with my old machine. Sometimes I wish I still had it.
I have to agree mine is a top loading one also by Kenmore (top of the line) and I have had it 6 years and had the repair man in 3 times. I told DH next time something goes wrong we are getting a new washer. Most likely a front loader. I take all my quilts except baby ones to the laundry mat to wash and dry.