Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash vs. life expectancy... >

Stash vs. life expectancy...

Stash vs. life expectancy...

Old 09-04-2009, 05:42 PM

I sure hope so! I hope to retire to a little cabin in the wood with my hubby, my horse, and my sewing machines X3............don't bother me to come out until we have run out of food! :lol:
Old 09-04-2009, 05:53 PM

WOW What morbid topic...personally I don't care if I leave a stash behind ..having too much fun buying now! :D
Old 09-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

I hope I don't outlive my stash. Just looking at it and feeling it makes me so happy. And I know when I go my DGD will take good care of it for me. She loves to just sit and look at and handle my fat quarters. I can see the same far away look in her eyes as I get in mine when I play with fabric. My stash will be in good hands.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by saravincent
My goal is to keep on using it, even if all I get done are the quilt tops. If (when?) I die, my kids will marvel at how productive I have been, and get them quilted in my memory (ha ha). But if (when) I die and they see tubs of scraps, they will wonder at my sanity. SO. . . I keep on sewing, buying only enough to finish projects. I have sewn 6 quilts so far this year, but only completed 2 of them (which were both given away). I WANT to outlive my stash!!
You might consider doing what I read about in a novel.......

Every quilt top you make, or pieces you put together for a quilt, sort out separately. Put each "quilt" in a shoebox of its own and label it with the name of someone. Then, if anything happens, everyone will think you were in the process of making them something special; everyone will get a box of something from you; and everyone will be somewhat obligated to complete the project.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:24 PM

b.zang
That is almost what I do - but instead of a shoe box I use huge ziploc baggies. I get lots of scraps just a little bigger than a fat quarter, so I organize them into coordinating colors, etc. put a pattern with them that is "perfect", so I can remember my intentions. I'm not so sure about relatives feeling obligated to finish it! That's why I gotta live a lot longer!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by b.zang
Originally Posted by saravincent
My goal is to keep on using it, even if all I get done are the quilt tops. If (when?) I die, my kids will marvel at how productive I have been, and get them quilted in my memory (ha ha). But if (when) I die and they see tubs of scraps, they will wonder at my sanity. SO. . . I keep on sewing, buying only enough to finish projects. I have sewn 6 quilts so far this year, but only completed 2 of them (which were both given away). I WANT to outlive my stash!!
You might consider doing what I read about in a novel.......

Every quilt top you make, or pieces you put together for a quilt, sort out separately. Put each "quilt" in a shoebox of its own and label it with the name of someone. Then, if anything happens, everyone will think you were in the process of making them something special; everyone will get a box of something from you; and everyone will be somewhat obligated to complete the project.
well, there have been a lot of really great replies here...amma, I'm a clean freak, but loved your answer.
K3n, sorry your wee one, is already eyeballing the stash, and looking at her watch, and taking your temp! :mrgreen:
Loved the one, about buying fabrics for hubby's next wife, and leaving her NO MONEY!
and the gray haired set, that knew mom was about to go, and had salivated over which fabrics they would jump on...just to get there, and find out, daughters had already picked over the lot...that was RICH!
so many good answers, but have to say, I have not read to the end, but this one, is AWESOME!
I'm gonna go in cave, first thing in the morning, and put the names on all the bundles, so my kids can all sit around with the crying towel, and lament how mom was going to use these lovely fabrics just for me....how thoughtful was it, for her to plan to use all my favorite colors?
Hope hubby doesn't get another hernia, hauling it out of there! Aw, knowing him, he'll put the blade on his tractor, and plow it~! :wink:
He just said, he was gonna take his little bit of stuff out, and burn the house down.
I said, why would you do that, when you could sell it? you could get back all the money, that you thought should have gone to you. (We have an allowance, each :wink: ) I earned that stash!
If he's gonna burn it, I can see right now, I might as well, start stitching every single piece end to end, side to side, and make the Guiness World Book of Records, largest quilt or tent, there ever was! :mrgreen:
Old 09-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

littlehud--I know what you mean by DGD's. Tonight 2 of them (6 and 3 1/2)were "making quilts" with some strips from a tote and an old Playskool sewing machine. Emily, the 6 year old, told me yesterday, "I love your beautiful fabrics; when are you going to teach me to sew Grandma?" Guess I have a job to do :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

My stash will be here longer after me :lol: My boys have already started planning on getting rid of it and I am only 45 ! Darn kids :twisted: First they were gonna burn it but I told them I would haunt them forever :wink: So now they are going to call all my nieces over and tell them have at it :shock: My one niece loves to sew so I know she will be first in line, the others not so much :? Then after that they are to find a quilting/sewing group and give it all to them :D

But it is this boards fault I have so much fabric, bunch of enablers :oops: and if I didn't spend so much time here i could be using up some of that fabric.... :roll: Its my story and I am sticking to it :lol:
Old 09-04-2009, 10:48 PM

One of my passions is buying quilt fabric. I'm never content to just buy FQ's. I need pieces 1/2 yd to 3 yds long! My plan is that I can't die until it's all used up!

The corellary that goes with this statement has to do with a quilt I started for my parents' 35th wedding anniversary, which was in 1986. I started piecing the top together, but had difficulty with about every third block just not being true or square. Nothing I did to those blocks would make them behave, so I researched and started all over. I finally got the top done in time to give them the top only for their anniversary.

Then I started to quilt it (by hand, of course), and since their 40th anniversary was upcoming (the ruby anniversary), I was using ruby colored hand quilting thread. They have celebrated their 58th anniversary this past May and the darn thing has yet to be completed! My mother says she wants to be wrapped in it when she dies, done or not. I told her that since it isn't done, neither of them can die; I mean, it would just be so rude to pass on before I can complete this "masterpiece", right???

My husband thinks that when I die he's just going to chuck it all...either that or pack it all into the casket with me before I'm buried. I'd sure like to know where he thinks all my fabrics, rotary cutters, rulers, mats, threads, sewing machines (I think I have 6 :roll: ) and stuff is going to fit? This fat girl plans to not leave a lot of excess space in the box!!!

b.zang, I love the solution you gave. My problem is that I have 3 daughters, and ONE is a HUGE shoe horse. Shoe boxes are never in supply at our house, they always house her shoe stash! She even has a sign that reads, "Support the economy. Buy more shoes" As quilters I think we can say, "Support the economy. Buy more fabric."
Old 09-05-2009, 04:23 AM

What a wonderful response we have had from this subject. I guess we must all think of it quite often. I was just in my sewing room the other day shaking my head and thinking what was I thinking when I bought all this, I will never use it all up. You get almost a panic feeling. So guess instead of that panic feeling I have to work harder and faster.

Rita