Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has Coats & Clark thread quality changed in the past few years? >

Has Coats & Clark thread quality changed in the past few years?

Has Coats & Clark thread quality changed in the past few years?

Old 07-27-2014, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Needles View Post
. My sewing shop said DO NOT use polyestes on my machine, causes static and messes up lots of things in machines.
This has been disproved by too many machine and thread manufacturers. It's simply not true. A knowledgeable dealer or tech would never tell a customer only one type of thread has to be used on a machine.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:34 AM

I had the same problem with my gfg, I finally switched to guterman an have not had any problems since. I thought maybe my spool was old but now I know it was not just me.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:42 AM

I don't quite understand how any decent quality machine can 'refuse' to operate with any but one specific brand of thread. Perhaps the needle is at fault, rather than the machine. At present, I have two working machines (one 'high-end' and one which many would consider 'low-end') and neither has given me any trouble, with any the the threads I've tried. I do make it a habit of using the same weight thread on top and bobbin, so that may have something to do with the machines' willingness to play nicely.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:50 AM

I sent an email to Coats and Clarks with questions about their thread. I didn't get a satisfactory answer back. I asked them if there was a difference in quality between their thread sold in Walmart and their thread sold in JoAnns. I also asked them why the spools were different in those two stores.

Their spools in JoAnn's is on one of those more modern spools with the groove around the edge where the thread is caught in. The spools at WalMart had the old fashioned slit in the edge where the thread is caught. They never answered that part of my questions. I wonder if since the spools are different, perhaps the thread is different too.

I told them the reason I needed to know is because Walmart is very close by where I can drive myself, and JoAnn's is a long distance, where my husband has to drive me 'cause I don't know my way around that part of the city.

I used to really like C&C, but I am slowly changing to all cotton thread of a better brand; some of the brands mentioned here at the forum. I heard somewhere reading the posts that polyester thread is so strong it can cut through the cotton material in time. It makes sense that cotton thread would be more pliable.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Sorry, most of what I have is their old quilting thread. I have always used it to hand stitch binding to the back because it doesn't snag into knots as easily as normal thread does.
If you run your threads through beeswax, the thread won't tangle at all. Been doing this since Grandma showed me this trick.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:16 AM

Along those same lines...bought a ream of copy paper at WalMart. I thought it looked smaller but couldn't put my finger on it. It was still $2.50, as always the best price around. When I got home I realized why it looked smaller. It was smaller. By 20%. A huge difference. The last time I bought it, it was 500 sheets for $2.50. Now 400 sheets for $2.50. Also noticed all the ice cream containers are not 1.5 quarts instead of 1.75. Remember when they were 2.0 quarts or half-gallon containers?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:25 AM
SMR

I think the quality went downhill after the move of manufacturing to Mexico. I have and use a lot of the older Coats & Clark thread including some with price of 79 cents for large spool without problems but have had problems with fraying and breakage on the few new spools I've bought recently.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:38 PM

Hate to sound like a dummy, but is the Aurofil all the same or is there a particular weight? Do they make hand quilting and machine quilting?
Old 07-27-2014, 03:11 PM

Hi, bearisgray
I have been using Coats & Clark thread recently and it has worked good on my mine and they have even came out with lot more colors that was the reason I ended up using C&C, for me it has come a long way.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:39 PM

I have a Babylock Esante, and my dealer said not to use C&C thread. I asked why, and she said it's a bad thread. I asked what I should use, and she said, "Anything else. Doesn't matter what brand, just not C&C." She said her husband, who is the one who repairs and tunes the machines, uses C&C to test the machines. He said it's so bad, that he can tell what might be wrong by the way the thread behaves. I was kind of upset by all that. I've used C&C for many years, sewed all kinds of clothes and household items. It was always the only thread I'd ever used. I do seem to have more problems with breakage and shredding, tho. Maybe she is right. I'll have to use other brands more often and check it out.