Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you buy?? >

What do you buy??

What do you buy??

Old 08-13-2014, 05:56 PM

I am lucky enough to have 3 LQS in my area. I buy all my fabric there.

I go to JoAnns for my batting and spray baste, rulers, etc.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:57 AM

I also buy notions, quilt rulers and rotary cutters and blades when they are on sale or with coupons.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:58 AM

I buy their bust muslin and batting when it is on sale. Same with thread, I shop the sales. Oh. one more thing, I buy spray baste at JoAnn's.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:15 AM

Mostly notions, wool yarn, and rulers. ONLY WHEN ON SALE. The closest JoAnn's is 65 miles away, so I mostly shop on-line. Hate their policy of only being able to use one coupon on line. At one time, I only purchased at JoAnn's when I lived within 2 miles of a store. If they would change their on-line policy, I would definitely purchase more rather than drive miles to shop.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:43 AM

I share your frustration in finding a thimble. I finally found one made by Tommy Lane. She usually works quilt shows, but her thimbles are custom made for your finger and they are so comfortable to wear. I do not take it out of my studio, however. It is sterling silver and has my birthstone in it and an opening for my fingernail. By far the best thimble ever.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

I too occasionally shop at JAF with my coupons but be warned that if the fabric is on a plain cardboard folded bolt, that fabric is 2nd quality. Watch out especially with the Robert Kaufman Kona cotton. If the fabric is NOT on the original fabric manufacturer's bolts with their label, you are being sold 2nd quality fabric. By working part time for an owner of an independent fabric store, I learn there is a huge market for 2nd class fabric with brokers selling these fabrics mostly to chain stores.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:47 AM

Using a 50% off coupon, I buy things that tend to be pricey.... an ott light, photo fabric sheets, etc.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Hate their policy of only being able to use one coupon on line. At one time, I only purchased at JoAnn's when I lived within 2 miles of a store. If they would change their on-line policy, I would definitely purchase more rather than drive miles to shop.
I agree, that's a stupid policy. I've been known to buy one item, take it to the car, turn around and buy another item, etc. It may be time consuming but if I have to drive an hour to get there, it's worth it. It doesn't seem any different to me than 10 people buying 1 item.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:02 AM

I buy at Joann's because of the price and the coupons. The fabric is good for a normal quilt, I do not make 'heirloom' quilts. Any quilt I make is used by the person I give it to. I went the other day for a backing and I had a 50% off coupon for fabric. This lap quilt is going to be given to charity. I find all sorts of things at Joann's to buy with their coupons. I also made my daughter a king size quilt for her anniversary and bought all the fabric at Joann's, it would have cost me a fortune at a quilt store. Why do I buy there ? Her dog has already chewed holes in this quilt. I have never had a bad experience with anything I have bought.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:23 AM

I buy at Save-a-Thon in NYC, they have some really good fabric at really good prices, and there is always something new!