2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-26-2015, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tkhooper View Post

Is there a book that tells me how to figure out how much fabric I need for certain things?
Probably but I do my own math. Grid paper is my best friend. I draw the layout of the blocks first and I count the grid lines to represent inches picking a scale that makes sense. Then I mark in the sashing and count how many I need in one row. Divide the width of the sashing into the width of your fabric and that will tell you how many you can cut across. Then figure out the length you need based on total count. Gosh I hope that makes sense.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:39 PM

Martina: I agree, basic grade school math is the best way to figure yardage. Graph paper is a big help in visualizing the area you are trying to calculate. Well everyone, I've finally discovered a way to limit if not stop all fabric purchases. I am about to become the proud but terrified owner of a LA. Now I can't afford any fabric.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Oh oh..m.Belfrybat and Emma are going to be on a new learning curve...how exciting, but don't envy Bbat's downsizing task.

Good advice Martina....got my apron made today...very quick and easy...QBuddy passed on all the Miniature Quilts magazines her sister had given her..I'm in for along night of reading....
Old 08-26-2015, 07:56 PM

Oh wow! How exciting for you both, Emma and Belfrybat. So happy for you both! And downsizing...ugh..I need to do that in the coming years...for sure before the next ten creep up on me. Just to be kind to my kids. Someone was offering to sell a hand-crank and much I I think it would be fun to have, I decided I better say no. Meeting a QB member tomorrow who lives just 20 miles from me. (She moved here in past 6 months and I have just had a busy summer).Excited to finally meet one of my fellow QB-ers in person. Will share a picture when I get back home.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:13 AM

Have fun Sandy!
Old 08-27-2015, 05:34 AM

Belfrybat, sounds like you will be a busy lady in this downsizing! It is amazing how we can pare down life's accumulated stuff for our quilting hobby! When we moved, I decluttered like a busy bee. Who needs XXXXX- you can fill in your blank. We went from 4BR to 2BR (so didn't need extra sheet sets, dust ruffles, etc; towels that were for those BR, and furniture in those BRs) Also reassessed kitchen area stuff, too. Good luck in this move!
Old 08-27-2015, 06:36 AM

Good luck with the move, congrats on the long arms. I picked up two tapestry remnants for future purses and one rich fabric that might find itself on the crazy quilt. In case I don't have enough of a particular fabric already.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:54 AM

Emma - I feel your "pain". What kind of LA did you get?
AU Quilter -- you are spot on about getting rid of items so all the quilting stuff still fits. I've already figured out that the way this frame is set up, I can store plastic totes under half of it and not interfere with the cord to the machine. By stacking two deep, I'll be able to get all my backing fabrics and batting under the frame. See how much space in the closet I just saved?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

Congrats on the LA. Wow, that is exciting. I have a Handiquilter Sweet 16 sit down quilter that I cannot get to because of the never-ending remodel extravaganza. DH just got the news that he does NOT need surgery on his shoulder so with physical therapy he should be on the mend soon. Translate: Let's get the upstairs done so I can get back to quilting! (So much for empathy, right?)
Old 08-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tkhooper View Post

Is there a book that tells me how to figure out how much fabric I need for certain things? The LQS isn't all that local, it's in the next town over.
NOt sure exactly which 'certain things' you are looking for, but there's a book by Harriet Hargrave with a lot of info. You can look at the index on the Amazon listing and see if it covers the items you are looking for:
http://www.amazon.com/All-One-Quilte...MFAQRCSSJBYP6X