2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 09-21-2015, 06:27 PM
Power Poster

Guess what I just found out. DH wants to take me to the PIQF in San Jose in October. That will be temptation heaven (or hell, depending on my frame of mind). I've been there once and found it totally overwhelming. Ended up buying a bunch of "stuff" that I never used. Maybe this time I can be better behaved and more thoughtful. What do you all think?
Old 09-22-2015, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

Martina, you should always keep your husband happy! If he wants to take you, then go, set a budget & take cash. When that's gone, you are done shopping. Yeah, right.
Meanwhile, I resisted the CT catalog offerings, but my Viking died. It is the TOL machine from about 6 years ago. From reading on the internet the problem could be: thread caught in the innerds (cheap $ fix), the power module (moderate $ fix) or the motor (Don't even want to think about the $ fix). Will probably get an estimate by the end of the week. There goes my October allowance (and possibly November's & December's)
Old 09-23-2015, 06:04 AM

Hope it is the cheap fix.

One day without buying any stash lol.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:36 AM

Paperprincess: Sure hope your baby is inexpensive to fix. Really miss my main machine when it is in the hospital. Hope you also have a back-up.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:47 PM

I haven't bought anything in a month. I 'm waiting for my bus trip in a few weeks, then watch out. I'm not so interested in buying fabric, but notions. I really don't care for the new fabric with large print. I'm telling myself that and I'm sticking to it. I'm keeping myself busy with the QB mystery #11 and a quilt top for my sister. All material previously bought years ago.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:09 PM
Power Poster

Hope it's an easy fix, princess.

Good job sticking to your guns, happylab.

tkhooper, one day at a time! There's the spirit.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:52 PM

Here I am again dusting, myself off. I attended a quilt show and did support area vendors. But I only purchased 2 wool bundles for $3.00 each. However the little iron, the pattern I ordered, the other pattern I inquired about aren't fabrics so they are exempt. But if the vender can get authorization from the author to only use one pattern from her book the vender will make up a kit. It's a wool haunted house I just don't want to purchase a book for $25.00 for only one pattern. I did win a quilt pattern as a door prize and I never win anything. I was so tempted but I spent my moola on the iron and some greeting cards with quilting themes. calla
Old 09-26-2015, 04:05 AM

Mad -- go to the show with so much cash--leave the credit cards at home. Tell hubby not to bail you out. Enjoy looking at all the wonderful goodies. You can do it.

Princess -- I'm sorry about your machine and hope it will be a cheap fix.

Calla -- buying non-fabric items doesn't count for this moratorium. I interpret things strictly.

I behaved myself on CT -- purchased $58.00 of the Kaleidoscope fabric. And yes, I feel good about staying close to birthday money. Although I was also given $70 in Amazon gift cards. I love my friends but wish they'd quit giving Amazon cards and switch to fabric sites!

Last edited by Belfrybat; 09-26-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:14 AM

Calla - I'd say you only got a little dusty with your purchases. Congrats on your door prize win.
Belfry - you should feel good with staying close to your birthday money, Those kaleidoscope fabrics are tempting. Perhaps next year you can hint to your friends several weeks before the birthday that you would love to buy some fabric.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:29 AM

I knew something has been missing from my day. For some reason I was not getting notifications anymore for this thread. Who knows, maybe I cancelled it because I was not doing very well on not purchasing fabric and felt guilty. Anyway, I'm back and trying to do better. Last week we visited the East coast. We went to a few quilt shops and I did fairly well. Only bought a couple pieces of fabric to finish what I have started (and I have already used it) and one group of fabric for a quilt to remember our trip. I have been drug behind the wagon long enough - time to get back on!