2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-09-2015, 12:44 PM

What a great use of the used dryer sheets. I've been saving them not knowing what to do with them. Now I know they can be the foundation fabric for my future crazy quilt.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:41 PM

Took a class that required 5 matching fat quarters..........so,I am dusting myself off. Nice to learn something new but I probably won't do that method for machine appliqué. Nice orphan blocks, and to the person K who,purchased the items needed for the entire quilt we'll get cutting and sewing so we can see the great quilt. All the selection is done. Calla
Old 06-09-2015, 05:59 PM

tkhooper...I should mention that some folks are allergic to the fragrance of the dryer sheets so be sure and wash any quilt you make before giving to any folks who might be.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:10 AM

I was wondering about that. I washed a community quilt recently and since we are a fragrance free group I washed it with out downy or the dryer sheet. I'm glad to know I was on the right track. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:25 AM

Managed going into several stores for supplies like new blades some thread for my needle turn applique and leave without fabric with one exception that I believe is allowed under the rules. had a coupon for Joanns and finally the backing I have been eyeing was not on sale Its for my sisters King quilt and I had nothing that would work.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:18 AM

Sandy, great tip about the fragrance thanks.................calla
Old 06-10-2015, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

I'm almost done with a project that I used about 2 yards of stash fabric. Pictures will come later, but what I have done is create a Quilter's Basket for a 4-H fundraiser at our county fair in 2 weeks. I made 2 fabric baskets following a Nancy Z show instructions and have been filling the big basket with goodies--a sewing machine mat with pockets, a small project clutch, a selvage chicken pin cushion, a bag of selvages with an online pattern to use with them, a set of four scrappy note cards, a Eye Spy quilt pattern with charms included to make it, a copy of the All Iowa Shop Hop magazine and a fabric kit of one of the patterns, a used needle catcher, and hope to make a small needle case yet. LQS is adding some notions to include.

Can you think of anything else sewing related to add that's quick and a quilter may like? I wasn't planning on pot holders etc as I wanted to keep it more quilt related.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:30 PM

OK after 6 months.... I broke.... I caved... and my fabrics arrived today. The last six months have been so stressful (Mom passed, and family is being difficult...and I am executor ARGGGG). I needed something to break my funk , so I admit I went to my favorite retail therapy .... fabrics and made a purchase. Right now it feels good to wonder about what creations these will work into! I should probably think about taking them off my kitchen table ,... but they are too beautiful , and my mind is occupied with images of the quilts these will be a part off. FYI - It was not a huge fall, and I am back on the wagon.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:54 PM

It's so good to hear your stories. I'm struggling right now. I've sold some fabrics and gave away a bunch of scraps -- probably a total of 20 - 22 yards -- good progress. BUT, Connecting Threads is having a 40% off sale on their Dreamscape batiks. Only $4.76 a yard. I've been drooling over these since they first came out but didn't want to spend $8.00 a yard for something add to my stash. Arrgghhh!!! Someone please pull me away from the brink!
Old 06-10-2015, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

Well, Accuquilt has a 40% off sale on their studio dies. I had been on the fence about getting the DWR set and caved. I've gotten a lot of use of my Winding Ways die. Don't think I would attempt curved piecing without the precision cuts that you get from a die.