2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-14-2015, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
No Sherry, not a raffle, but a Silent Auction in the 4-H building..Thanks for the ideas, but I dropped it off at Ext Office Friday.
OK, so...now you know how far behind I am in reading here lol
Old 06-14-2015, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Lori, I am sorry for your loss and all the family crap. Buying fabric is a perfect solution to ease the pain.

oksewglad, dang u been busy. What a nice selection.

I have been good. Instead of going to Joanne with my coupon, I went camping and took a project. Using the fossil fern charmpack, I am making applique swirls from a craftsy class. Haven't gotten very far. Unfortunately I will need more fusible interfacing. Used up every scrap I had.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:40 AM

I'm looking at that 60 % coupon and trying to imagine what it might be good for that I don't currently have. I'm thinking maybe batting?
Old 06-15-2015, 07:17 AM

Belfry: I blame you, well I guess I have to take some of the blame. It was the batiks at CT. The ones I like the best were the ones that were on sale for less than $5 per yard. I went and looked, went away, went back and looked hoping the sale had ended. No such luck. I fell really hard. When you like at least ten of the colors, how do you choose? At those prices how do you get less than 3 yards? I was bad; very, very bad. Martina, where are you when I need you? You used to be counted on to be at least as bad as me. Now look at you, always behaving. I think I am the June poster child for falling into temptation. Goes away wringing hands but looking for the UPS guy.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:40 AM

Emma ...so you were the cause of that loud thud I heard.... all the way to Illinois! If I can't join you in the falling off do show us photos !
Old 06-15-2015, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Belfry: I blame you, well I guess I have to take some of the blame. It was the batiks at CT. The ones I like the best were the ones that were on sale for less than $5 per yard. I went and looked, went away, went back and looked hoping the sale had ended. No such luck. I fell really hard. When you like at least ten of the colors, how do you choose? At those prices how do you get less than 3 yards? I was bad; very, very bad. Martina, where are you when I need you? You used to be counted on to be at least as bad as me. Now look at you, always behaving. I think I am the June poster child for falling into temptation. Goes away wringing hands but looking for the UPS guy.
Oh, yeah, blame the old lady for leading you astray! I tried and tried to only buy two selections, but free shipping didn't kick in until $50.00. So.... $51.70 later..... BUT I did follow someone's excellent advice on here and purchased what filled out my existing collection. This will give me 1 - 2 yards of 14 different coordinating batiks to use on a fabulous project.

On a related subject, I've decided that from now on it is "one in two out". So for every yard I buy I have to either use, sell, or give away 2 yards. Not quite a moratorium, but still better than just adding.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:06 AM

one in two out is a great idea. Right now I am fighting off the coupons I hid them all or blocked the emails but a helpful friend gave me hers Umm thanks? So I had the idea to sit down and look at my current projects or what I need to gift soon. I have a list of upcoming and see do I have everything do I need batting or backing do I have enough of my backgrounds. I don't have hardly any neutrals so those run out fast. I have three planned baby showers and another baby gift coming up and I have been making bibs, burp rags and the like and fell in love with the new terry fabric joanns has so since I have the flannel I can just buy terry and get all those little projects done and set aside ready to go. I can even work ahead to have some on hand. Hmm I sense myself doing some justification here lol.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

I am also blaming Belfry! When she first posted about the sale, I went and put lots of yards in my shopping cart. I knew my girlfriend was coming last weekend and would want to shop too, so I didn't place the order. Happily most of my selections had been sold out during the week, so I only got 3 yards. Procrastination sometimes pays off!
Also, I haven't been to JoAnn's in so long that they have dropped me from their snail mail list. Still get emails, which I delete. Now if folks on this board would stop letting us know about all these great deals...

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 06-15-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:10 AM

I come here to confess my fabric purchase and imagine my surprise that so many of you have done the same. I didn't pass up the CT sale either. But at least my naughtiness has company Only 5 1/2 yards so some restraint. Love batiks and they have such lovely ones. Back on the wagon.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:41 AM

I hope buying wide backing to finish a quilt is "legal". I have LA class tomorrow and was told to bring backing to learn how to attach it to the zipper thing.