Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-22-2015, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Plus, last year we only used one special ruler, this year two.
Ah, I missed that bit of info! I'm so bad about looking at pictures and not reading the fine print. Will go back and see what the special rulers are.

Last year I got so excited about the Easy Angle ruler after she taught us how to use it, but I haven't used it since! LOL.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:24 AM

I've picked out my fabric and have it mostly washed��. I switched out the red and gold fabric for purple and blue. I will make my large project from theses fabrics. I decided to mix the batiks with other fabric types. I 'm excited about following along and sewing with everyone. I will be a week behind due to family plans. I'll try to take pics and post as I go along.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:45 AM

I switched out one of my fabric choices. This is the last switch (I hope) I traded the dark blue batik for a lighter brighter blue. I really am happy with the new colors / fabrics.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:21 AM

I shopped the stash and came up with these fabrics. A couple of them have been languishing in the stash for a few years and I would love to use them up. I don't have a good grey, so I pulled two green tone on tones. The lighter one might be best. One of the reds is a large scale print with green and golds. One of the golds is a little plaid with black and red lines in it. I hope this is enough of a mix of scale and type of fabrics. Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails bh-mystry-fabrics.jpg  
Old 11-22-2015, 12:52 PM

Okay here is my final, final selection. The horse fabric is my red, the bright blue my yellow, and the blue/grey leaf fabric is my grey.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0535.jpg  
Old 11-22-2015, 02:05 PM

Pretty selection Kassaundra! I just finished the 6th pillowcase- last "have to" project before Christmas, so my worktable is clear for Allietare!
Old 11-22-2015, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
SunlitenSmiles, your quilt is lovely! I have a black backing with butterflies that I love, but got cold feet about quilting it. Could you please tell me what color thread you used for the quilting? I can't decide between black or white. Also, did you use a white bat or a black bat? I'm usually not so indecisive, but I've never used such a dark backing before. :-)
I used a white batting and black Aurifil in the bobbin...the backing fabric is a Northcott , RoGregg design and a good tight weave so have not had any bearding problem....quilted it on a Singer 301A that has a great stitch so the black thread stayed on the back and the white thread stayed on the front....hope this helps
Old 11-22-2015, 04:09 PM

Good thing I double checked my rulers - I thought I had the Companion Angle but it was the Tri-Recs instead.
Local Joanns has some in stock if their inventory is correct from their website...
Old 11-22-2015, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by playswithcolor View Post
I shopped the stash and came up with these fabrics. A couple of them have been languishing in the stash for a few years and I would love to use them up. I don't have a good grey, so I pulled two green tone on tones. The lighter one might be best. One of the reds is a large scale print with green and golds. One of the golds is a little plaid with black and red lines in it. I hope this is enough of a mix of scale and type of fabrics. Let me know what you think.
I've only done one Bonnie quilt, and not many scrappy, but I think ideally you'd want a few more of each color if you aren't going with a single fabric for each.

We want to end up with two darks (red and black), two mediums (gray and gold) and the light neutrals. You can check your values by desaturating your photos and seeing how they look in black and white. I think your green looks about right to stand in for the gray. You'll probably have to discard some of the pieces from your large scale fabrics, because Bonnie's pieces tend to be small, so some of the pieces from the large scale prints won't show the right color.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:20 PM

I agree with joe'smom. Bonnie's sizes are usually 2" or 2 1/2". You might want to rethink the large scale print, as some of those pieces will end up not being what you expect. You will find that out though, when you start cutting it out.