2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-10-2016, 07:51 AM

I think I must be sick. I haven't even been tempted to buy fabric in the past several weeks, even when Connecting Threads came out with their new line.

Moving to this smaller space helped me realize how overboard I've gone on fabric purchases the past several years. I have 8 large totes full plus a few boxes of backers -- mainly sheets. And that doesn't even count the 5 small totes of pre-cuts. My goal is to reduce the stash to just 8 totes this year by either using the fabric or re-gifting what I no longer really love. 8 totes will fit under the mid-arm frame.

I will be using two of the sheets to make a curtain to fit on the quilting frame to hide the totes under that and two for the open shelves of quilting/ crocheting supplies. I'm hoping that will make my living space less cluttered looking.

I'm going to make up some easy quilt patterns so I can make a couple of dozen charity quilts in time for next winter. That is once I've finished quilting and binding the 11 quilt tops I already have made up.

Last edited by Belfrybat; 01-10-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:31 AM

Last year I discovered that if you make a tuffet it uses up lots of fat quarters or Jelly roll strips. I made two and got rid of most of the strips in 3 different jelly rolls and a bunch of batiks. I don't have room for any more tuffets LOL!

So, this year I've started two tessellating pinwheel quilts--they will be Christmas presents for the granddaughters this year. All fabric for tops and backs are coming from my stash. Also working on two Jacob's ladder quilts (made from the jellyroll strips that were left over from making the two tuffets) and a Slice n Dice (my version of improvisational piecing) with all fabrics coming from my stash for the Jacob's ladders.

The Slice n Dice is another story, the blocks are all different sizes and I'm going for a mid-century modern feel. The blocks are all made, but I need to make filler strips to fit them together---I think I've got something in my stash that will work, if there's enough of it.

So that means I've got 4 quilt tops being pieced and 1 that's sandwiched and ready to be quilted--maybe I need to join the UFO thread too....

And...Do thread purchases count as falling off the wagon, how about nifty tools..... Just asking.....

Rob
Old 01-10-2016, 11:17 AM

nope just fabric. At least, I hope it is just fabric. Because I just bought the templates for the double wedding ring which is a quilt design that I never learned to appreciate.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Wow Belfry, you sure have been going to town! Do you like your new frame set up? Let us know how the quilted sheets work out. I'd like to hide, I mean dress up my stash storage too! Sounds ideal. Screening fabric & yarn with a breathable cover will also help keep the sunlight & dust out.
Rob, no moratorium police here! Just do what makes sense for you. While this thread targets fabric, if you have an overabundance of tools (or books, like I do) you can add those to your personal quest to use what you have.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
And...Do thread purchases count as falling off the wagon, how about nifty tools..... Just asking.....

Rob
That depends. If you are drowning in threads and tools then I'd say YES, because threads and gadgets can just as easily be over the top as fabric. If you are adding thread colors or weights you don't have, then NO. But that's just my opinion.

I'd love to see a pic of your Jacob's Ladder - it's one of my favorite patterns.

Oh, and what's a tuffet?

Last edited by MadQuilter; 01-10-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I think I must be sick. I haven't even been tempted to buy fabric in the past several weeks, even when Connecting Threads came out with their new line.
Hm, this is a difficult one to reply. If I say "Hope you get well soon" then I am an enabler. If I say "Good for you" then I sound insensitive. Sigh! Let's see.....how about "I hope the temptation returns and you keep it in check."
Old 01-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

Here is what I am working on. It started as a jelly roll and a craftsy class. Admittedly, the background fabric was purchased for this purpose as I have no modern-reading fabric to work with these soft colors. I plan to send this one to my mom.

It is sewn is rows to avoid the dreaded y-seam. (I don't really dread the Y-seam but this method does make it easier)
Attached Thumbnails img_0644.jpg  
Old 01-10-2016, 03:57 PM

Wow madquilter! I really like that pattern. What is that? I bet I could reduce my fat quarter stash easily with something like that. I am almost finished with my second baby quilt top for this year made from stash. I will have to start sandwiching and quilting soon or my ufo's will start to take over again!
Old 01-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

pyffer3 I think you're right about Mad's current WIP which is looking good....

I just eliminated 2 yards of fabric from my stash...I'm making fabric baskets using Nancy Zeiman's method she shared on a program last year. Presenting a program at guild tomorrow on it so have to get back to putting the presentation together....
Old 01-11-2016, 04:26 AM

would love to see pictures oksewglad i'm not familar with the name of those baskets, ty.