2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-29-2019, 05:41 PM

You can do this, elly. Just don't give in to that temptation! Remember all the great stuff you have waiting for you in your stash!
Old 03-30-2019, 05:07 AM

Well the happy print I just picked up was decided to be too primary, I have several different backs and other fabrics to donate to the project so will have a net loss in total yardage even as the new one goes in the box. We are going to take 9-patches another member has in suitable colorways and put on wonky twisting borders around them. We should be able to put together the top in time for Tuesday group, so the one quilter can take the project and quilt it on her long arm.

I have my purple project in kit form and ready to sew. Man, I can appreciate kits and wish I could afford them and didn't already have a room full of fabric! But first I need to finish up the Not Quite Y2K top. I'm putting together the blocks into rows so I should have it done this week. With this border of three rows of the Y2K squares, the easy way to do the borders was attach them to the blocks. I think the natural inclination is to put together the blocks first and then add the border, but I have found that long skinny unwieldy strips are not ideal to my success. So when I use sashing between blocks, for example, I prefer to put them on in Ls around the blocks instead of long skinny sashing row to long block row... but a picture is worth a thousand words and my words are getting confusing so I took this picture as I've been piecing the blocks/borders together.

PS: As I was putting the blocks together I found one block did indeed end up with 2 identical pieces of fabric. Darn! LOL, oh well... it took me this long to notice, no one else ever will.
Attached Thumbnails border-blocks-2-.jpg  
Old 03-30-2019, 06:38 AM

Thanks Teen and SillySusan for your encouragement. Sure will work on not falling. Maybe petting my stash will help. Has done so in the past so worth a shot.

Iceblossom your not quite Y2K is going to be such a lovely bright quilt. I also don't do long strips of sashing. I have better luck with the method you described.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:29 PM

All four of us who will be working on the comfort quilt were able to get together today on short notice. A back was picked out of my offerings, 60 9-patches were selected out of a larger stack from one of the other ladies, actually 72 we each got 3 extra. Then after much discussion the pros and cons of many possibilities were discussed and we decided to go with solids around the 9-patches. Between the hostess and my box of solids we were able to come out with a wide assortment in mostly pale but some darker creamy yellow, pumpkin, tans, peach, etc. but no brights or super dark or blues or purples. Each lady took enough frame her 9-patches (18 each) and we hope to be ready with the blocks in time for Tuesday's regular group time. The blocks will tilt both left and right, 2 will make one direction and the other 2 the other. So not a huge net decrease in my stash but nice to have options.

Now to put away the print fabrics I pulled and we decided not to use! Then a couple more seams I've already pinned on the Not Quite Y2K and it can wait while I whip out these framed blocks. I already have each column in two pieces, top and bottom. I'm going to be putting the columns together and then the last seam will be putting the two halves together across the middle.

Hopefully I'll be too busy to even consider adding more fabric to my stash. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-30-2019, 05:36 PM

I was out of town today, so I stopped at the QS in the country. It has Moda and Kaffe Fassette fabrics which the one downtown doesn't. I was after a blender for a batik quilt. I bought nothing!!!!!!It's okay. I'm not ready for the blender yet. The good thing is I was surrounded by all the pretties I can't get close by and left them all there!
Old 03-31-2019, 04:55 AM

Wow ladies, great job. Lot's of saves. and lots of stash being used up. I have had a wasted week. Several trips to the vets with 3 different dogs. It just eats the days away so quickly. Add in cleaning and shopping for "Food" and the days are gone before you know it. But, I did get quite a bit done on a UFO before my dogs and my son's dog needed my attention. I could have sworn I took a photo of the UFO. But, I guess I forgot. I will do it soon. It still needs one final border. And, I have been playing with HST's for a mini I am making. Today, I need to trim them all to 1.5 inches sq. And, they will be ready for the next step. I have delayed this project just a bit. Because I am waiting on a 1.5 inch cutting die for my machine. I have some trouble keeping the accuracy with the smaller cuts. So, invested in the die for my sizzix.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:00 AM

Iceblossom, I love your not quite Y2K quilt. It is coming along nicely. One of my favorite quilts is a 16 Patch made out of 2.5" blocks sashed in white with cornerstones of all different blues. All made out of scraps. Slightly I-Spyish. But, I still love it. I love taking scraps that others would either toss or donate and making something out of them. It's bright and cheery.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:12 PM

I'm so glad to hear that everyone is doing such a good job on passing by those beautiful fabrics out there! That's the spirit!! Let's all keep up the "no new stuff added to the stash" motto.

Here it is the end of March and no fabric bought!! I just finished the last of the 5 quilts I started during the last VQW and I'm starting to sew crib sheets. I have 36 cut out and ready to go. I should have them finished this week. They use up a lot of stash so I should have another empty tub by the next VQW. Yippee!!
Old 03-31-2019, 03:18 PM

Excellent job, SillySusan!! I see a lot of quilter's on the board making crib sheets. I've never made any but I'm going to do some research. Awesome use of stash!!

I saw a new collection come out and I am very tempted to buy for my nephew's wedding quilt. I haven't decided yet but I need to start something soon. It will be a queen size and I need a controlled colorway. I cannot remember what is in the boxes but I may have to open them. That is a major purchase if I don't use stash...ugh!
Old 03-31-2019, 04:38 PM

Way to go, Silly Susan!

Deep breath, Teen! May the first box you open, be what you need to start the quilt.