2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-04-2020, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
Ditto, Irish! Not buying anything. I was able to clear out one whole shelf of precuts this year so that makes me very pleased....plus used orphan blocks and used 2 bolts for backing....plus a myriad of other projects I used FQ leftovers. I have a stack of beautiful fabric I have no immediate plans for so I am wrapping these up for Christmas present for SIL. She’ll be over the moon...that’s about 10 yards and will keep her from having to shop for a couple of months with a fresh infusion of new stuff..

Thank you, Conchalea, for hosting this year and volunteering for next year! You are a jewel!
Thanks, Teen. I'm not sure hosting this thread helps me personally, but most of what I did buy this year has been used immediately. Others have a designated purpose. Only 1 cut was truly an impulse buy. I have 2 Christmas panels ready to be quilted as soon as i get home from this ride. It was extended for a day due to extreme cold. We're on motorcycles in west Texas (almost to NM) & a cold front moved in with wind chills in the 20's. So we hope for better temps & a sunny day to ride the last 220 miles home today
Once I'm home, I plan to finish my 2 panels in time to use them this month. I'll be self-isolating after this trip, so I also plan to go through my fabric supply to see what I can make as gifts for friends. I need to use up what I do have!
Old 12-05-2020, 05:59 AM

Thanks for hosting this year, Conchalea! Looking forward to riding in the wagon with everyone again next year!

Rob
Old 12-05-2020, 07:58 PM

Exclamation 1 Moratorium Police Officer!

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
...there are No Moratorium Police!!
Well I Have 1 Moratorium Police Officer! A California C.H.P. Officer -- A very dear friend. Came to visit --in a panic as I had not answered phone calls or texts in about 2 weeks (My phone went goofy). He flew in to make certain I was not laying out on the floor. My stash room door was open some so my Lil' Pickle (cat) decided Jay needed to see the roomthat Mom never allows him and his brother Midnight to enter.

Jay almost had a heart attack. 1 corner is from floor to almost ceiling. Those are my seasonal fabrics and each box is completely identified as to what holiday it is for. The next stack is only about 3/4 of the way up to the ceiling. It is for birthday type things and also clearly marked. Then I 4 rows of stuff (aka Stash fun). These are the stuff I use and go through frequently. Looking for just the correct thing. Moratorium Police CHP Trooper Jay said he'd come over his 1 month vacation and help me get everything in order.

Aaaaaaaa--a Man going thru My Stash??!!!! Quick call Stash 511-Need Stash Survival Assistance. Will I be able to handle such a horrific time?

I have known Jay for 50 years. (His Daddy was the Trooper that taught my Driver's Ed class at the High School how to drive. But that's another story.) Jay is a sweet and gentle person. Almost had a heart attack when he saw my stash that week-end. Thankfully May also came with him. She and I started going thru my stash and she found several items that she loved and had never seen. We split most of the items. My Holiday stash dropped by 1 box. My Birthday stash dropped by 2 boxes and my general stash section dropped by Lots of stuff.

Jay decided he would just have a Big Bon Fire next time he comes Before May has a chance to go through anything more. We'll see about that--Not! They are supposed to come at least the week over Christmas. Will be good to have them come. Told May I will let her go thru my embroidery--only 15 boxes for that and includes floss as well as printed fabric designs as well as many patterns - some duplicates.

Jay is still out there on the streets riding his cycle.

Just cruising them freeways.

Jay, Always Be Safe, my friend.

Last edited by Motley; 12-05-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

I’ve done pretty well this year, will be using up more stash today- need to make another batch of masks- since this situation just keeps on going, this is the last month of my Temperature Quilt- it’s been a fun project- 366 blocks all scraps/ stash when it’s done.
I am hoping to make a few more small gifts - I’m rapidly running out of time though. Placemats, candle mats and aprons are on my ( hopeful list. )
I might put together another box for my son too but the one I sent for his birthday ( November 20) weighed 35 pounds! I think he’s probably pretty well stocked) for a bit.
but that was 35 pounds of fabric including a large kit I’ve had for years out of my stash.
I’m thinking one more year and I will be able to shop again. 😉
a few I’ve made, plus the first columns of the temperature quilt put together
Attached Thumbnails 6a9f8d6c-6257-46c5-9baf-f81e4845f0e6.jpeg   d9252855-f805-4787-bfdc-c60084042e89.jpeg   398c3e8b-06dc-4279-8d43-f78f1da5611c.jpeg   5af30e04-0852-4eca-a883-e7182a01d31f.jpeg  
Old 12-06-2020, 07:24 AM

My husband has been so patient with me as I've been going through my boxes of fabric and many are still out in the hall right now. I think, however I've about reached my limit and they are going back in only 2/3rds straightened out. Still, new boxes have been made and collapsing boxes have been replaced so no fabric spilling out and those darn miscellaneous boxes will remain for now. But you should see my green box! It's in fantastic shape And, there are fewer boxes all the time.

This has been a super hard year on me in many ways, so the not buying fabric has been pretty easy in comparison. Oh, there have been a couple of times when some retail therapy seemed like a good idea but staying home turned out to be a good idea!

While we are moratorium-moratorium support your LQS!

edit: I was able to pull my fabrics for this year's Bonnie Hunter mystery all out of stash, although I had to change them slightly (my golds are pretty dark and so her Orange is more Rust with mine) and I did have to ask my Tuesday group to help me with grey. Grey did not become a fashion color until after I stopped buying for the most part.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 12-06-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:28 AM

CKcowl, wanted to comment on your temperature quilt, that's a lovely one. Been thinking of doing one for my grandson, did you start at a particular date on yours? Are you doing highs/lows, or just highs?

So many ways to do these -- we know by now that I like hidden messages in my quilts and so the whole concept just appealed to me as soon as I heard about it.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Motley View Post
Well I Have 1 Moratorium Police Officer! A California C.H.P. Officer -- A very dear friend. Came to visit --in a panic as I had not answered phone calls or texts in about 2 weeks (My phone went goofy). He flew in to make certain I was not laying out on the floor. My stash room door was open some so my Lil' Pickle (cat) decided Jay needed to see the roomthat Mom never allows him and his brother Midnight to enter.

Jay almost had a heart attack. 1 corner is from floor to almost ceiling. Those are my seasonal fabrics and each box is completely identified as to what holiday it is for. The next stack is only about 3/4 of the way up to the ceiling. It is for birthday type things and also clearly marked. Then I 4 rows of stuff (aka Stash fun). These are the stuff I use and go through frequently. Looking for just the correct thing. Moratorium Police CHP Trooper Jay said he'd come over his 1 month vacation and help me get everything in order.

Aaaaaaaa--a Man going thru My Stash??!!!! Quick call Stash 511-Need Stash Survival Assistance. Will I be able to handle such a horrific time?

I have known Jay for 50 years. (His Daddy was the Trooper that taught my Driver's Ed class at the High School how to drive. But that's another story.) Jay is a sweet and gentle person. Almost had a heart attack when he saw my stash that week-end. Thankfully May also came with him. She and I started going thru my stash and she found several items that she loved and had never seen. We split most of the items. My Holiday stash dropped by 1 box. My Birthday stash dropped by 2 boxes and my general stash section dropped by Lots of stuff.

Jay decided he would just have a Big Bon Fire next time he comes Before May has a chance to go through anything more. We'll see about that--Not! They are supposed to come at least the week over Christmas. Will be good to have them come. Told May I will let her go thru my embroidery--only 15 boxes for that and includes floss as well as printed fabric designs as well as many patterns - some duplicates.

This is so funny! But all's well that ends well!
Old 12-06-2020, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

My temperature quilt started on January 1st, 2020. High temps are the center big triangles lows are the small . Chose flying geese 3 1/2” x 6 1/2 “
I started with writing down temperature ranges from ( below zero, ) then every 5* up to 100* so 0*- 5* is one color, 6*-10* next, on up to 96*-100* then over 100*
cut swatches to represent each color for each temperature range and glued them to the paper ( actually a white shirt cardboard) I used scraps often so the colors have variations but stay close to each temperature description.
peach day I would write down the low & high temperature, didn’t manage to sew every day but when I could I would pull out my color/ temp key and my day planner that each day’s temperatures were recorder and I would catch up- I decided to have them point up on odd months, down on even, sewed each month together into a column. Added a black batik to the top & bottom of each column to bring every month to the same length then found a Jinny Beyer border print to put between columns. Only 25 blocks to go and it will be finished. Yea!
im trying to decide if I’m going to do another on with different blocks/ colors - plan- haven’t decided yet.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:38 PM

Motley: I love your story. It’s great you have friends that come to check on you. Goofy cats!

ckcowl: Nice projects!

Old 12-06-2020, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Motley View Post

Hilarious!!!

My heart is palpitating visualizing your stash. I cannot imagine having that much stuff. I freak out just looking at my itty bitty stash. But, oh how wonderful to roll around and create in those piles...