2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-11-2020, 11:33 PM

Started straightening this space and decided I'm ready for something new. Found a pattern (Turning 30, again) in the mess that I've never done and went to my stash. There's enough stash there for 2 quilts. After doing 1 I'll decide if another is in me.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:26 AM

Cattitude, love that!

I've been rather quiet and unsettled over the last couple of weeks with the general unrest. When you see videos of the Seattle protestors, that's about 10 blocks from my son's apartment on the road I usually use.

But I'm about to plunge back into fabric again. My Tuesday group is going to get together this coming Tuesday (weather permitting) in the lawn of our hostess for a social meeting, more of a show and tell sort of thing than our usual work party. It will be the first time we've been together since the restrictions were put in place, so that was back in February? It blurs...

And I may buy some fabric today. I just might! I am susceptible to retail therapy right now and the chain Tuesday Morning is going out of business. My husband wants to go clear out the brand of coffee syrup he likes and I will be looking at their precut fabrics, there was a nice layer cake of Moda before the shut down and since there was a shut down... it still might be there. Or who knows? Probably pick up a pair of Fiskars or other scissors too. But I'm not in a scissors moratorium (yet).
Old 06-12-2020, 05:00 PM

oksewglad: Great fabric. Too bad it doesn’t say Minnesota and the farm girl that’s still in me from my youth would buy it. 👍

petthefabric: I look forward to seeing your quilt from the Turning 30 pattern.

Iceblossom: How scary for you to have your son and his family so close to the protestors. Have fun with your Tuesday group. The days do certainly blur. Hopefully, you were able to get some retail therapy today. I don’t know if there still is a Tuesday Morning store in a nearby city. They seem to come and go in my area.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:14 AM

I did go to the Tuesday Morning, sales are currently mostly 10% off but enough of the store was going that it is pretty clear things weren't going to last for much more of a markdown, people were there with full carts. We grabbed another six or so bottles of coffee syrup, and I did indeed get a layer cake, Flower Topia by Michael Miller for about $16.50 (with the sales price) and a roll of blue jellyroll strips for another $16 or so because it's not like I don't have 1000s of yards of blue anyway, but these are in a set! Kept picking up and putting down some batiks, left without them having some mild regret but then again, I have a box of batiks and a friend with a roomful. Didn't find any scissors that I liked, but got a dog toy (squirrel!) for Harley that he is quite excited about. That dog loves a squeaky toy!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-13-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:41 AM

To be honest this one doesn’t really qualify as much of a stash buster.....just 1m for the border and .75m for the binding. It’s more of a UFO started about 18 months ago with an ugly jelly roll DH bought me for Christmas.....but I’m not on the UFO thread

The pattern is MSQC North Star but I used a different layout. I wish I had enough neutral to sash the 9 ‘stars’ but alas that was not the case.

Not to my taste but finally a top that DH will be happy to have in the travel trailer.....he doesn’t much care for my scrappies!

Attached Thumbnails 2fc49c8c-8a19-4092-a37e-0ae269d6443d.jpeg  
Old 06-13-2020, 01:08 PM

I love that quilt, Cattitude! The colors are gorgeous. Interesting pattern and layout. Well done!

Rob
Old 06-13-2020, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
oksewglad: Great fabric. Too bad it doesn’t say Minnesota and the farm girl that’s still in me from my youth would buy it. 👍

petthefabric: I look forward to seeing your quilt from the Turning 30 pattern.

Iceblossom: How scary for you to have your son and his family so close to the protestors. Have fun with your Tuesday group. The days do certainly blur. Hopefully, you were able to get some retail therapy today. I don’t know if there still is a Tuesday Morning store in a nearby city. They seem to come and go in my area.
Thanks, Connie...so you clearly understand why I fell!

Catitude..and that's why you don't judge a book by it's cover...maybe not your favorite color, but it is a lovely quilt!
Old 06-13-2020, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

My sister came up for a couple days of helping Me to get some work around home done and on the rainy day we spent it in the sewing room. We purged, sorted, folded, found a home for everything- my room is Wonderful! The shelves are organized - she finished the last 2 shelves today after we cleaned the garage and she let me know there is * some* room on my shelves- and I’m low on greens & browns. 🤗
I actually took 9, NIne, holy cow- Nine big black garbage bags of scraps, mixed blend fabrics, knits, that had been given to me,- a Lot of stuff I would never use, out- donated to a group who makes quilts for shelters, homeless people-
I can not even imagine how much fabric was in those bags- I know a few of them weighed a good 30+ pounds. So, I probably gave away over 200 pounds of fabric.
It’s clean, organized, encouraging. I still have a stack of quilts to get quilted, a stack that needs some work and I think 5 projects in bags I may ( or not) get to & finish up.. in the 13 years we have been in this house it has been so cluttered in there- it is so nice to finally feel like it’s not an embarrassment to have someone stop by.
my sister quilts too- and the first day she did wind up with a box of fabric to take home- probably 10-15 yards. She went from calling me a hoarder- that it’s good I do this moratorium- I don’t need to be buying anything— to today saying- there is room, you can buy some fabric again.
I don’t think so though- not this year- I still have plenty to finish up
and maybe things will be different next year and maybe we will be able to take a vacation- then I won’t feel guilty visiting new shops in places we travel to and spending a bit- or maybe there will be a show for us to visit.,.
I look forward to working in there again.
i do have one corner to clean up yet, but it’s a small area and won’t take me long. I know what’s there, I just need to put things where they belong.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:38 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Cattitude View Post
To be honest this one doesn’t really qualify as much of a stash buster.....just 1m for the border and .75m for the binding. It’s more of a UFO started about 18 months ago with an ugly jelly roll DH bought me for Christmas.....but I’m not on the UFO thread

The pattern is MSQC North Star but I used a different layout. I wish I had enough neutral to sash the 9 ‘stars’ but alas that was not the case.

Not to my taste but finally a top that DH will be happy to have in the travel trailer.....he doesn’t much care for my scrappies!
This is a beauty of a quilt. So crisp and perfect. I wish I had that skill. I admire it and strive for it but just don't seem to produce that level of perfection.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:28 PM

Cattitude: Your quilt turned out nicely.

WMUTeach: You do a great job with your quilts!