Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-14-2022, 06:40 AM

I got quite attached to the on-point construction before the sashing, having looked at so many photos on Quiltville. I liked how the confluence of the B block pieces formed a square around the block, which the sashing distracts from. So I may have to come up with a different way to add aqua. I really love this year's quilt -- I think it is quite magical, and I found spectating every bit as much fun as sewing along (although I think not sewing did add quite a bit to my impatience).
Old 01-14-2022, 06:47 AM

In general, I love on-point construction, but honestly, I don't like the hourglass units on point. I'm thinking of remaking block B with solid garnet squares rather than the hourglasses. As I'm only making a lap size quilt, which is less than half the size of this, it shouldn't be too terrible. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:49 AM

Yay, the reveal is here it is a very pretty quilt and I am looking forward to seeing everyones finishes! I am not sure that I will make this one, but have saved all the clues, maybe one day. I appreciate all the effort she puts into these every year and I love seeing everyones progress and color choices, there is so much inspiration here.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:57 AM

Ok! I've digested the clue/reveal a bit. Still want to read through a few more times. I suspected when we were making the non-matched geese that they would be border units. Then I convinced myself that they would be in basically a half-block or pieced sashing. I did always think the aqua was going to be long strips.

As I've been looking at the photos from everyone, I have also really liked just the two blocks alternating and wondered if anyone would chose to go that route.

Happylab, from my first go-through of the instructions, you might have enough aqua. There is both the sashing and an inner border of aqua (don't miss those 2nd cutting/size instructions), but I'm getting less than the total yardage requirements from back at Halloween. A lot of it depends on how wide your fabric is.

I'm still not certain which aqua I'm using. Right now I'm leaning towards my bright splashy one. Even if I have enough yardage, I might set off the corners or something with a different fabric choice... My plan is to make all the setting triangles and such first and then look at it on the different backgrounds.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:59 AM

May I just say Bonnie’s picture of the completed quilt is beautiful! I am really excited to get mine all together but a bit intimidated by the corner units too. I have done on point before but not pieced on point! Make that statement intimidated in general........

Sewingpup, Last night silly me read your comment about how our thread will be around for quite awhile. As I read it and thought that in two weeks I would probably be all done and checking back to see others progress. Fortunately I wisely decided to wait and reply when I saw the reveal. There are many hours of work left. Many hours........I don’t think I can do it all in two weeks any longer. My mind has wandered off to some quicker projects already and I think I am going to let myself mix my projects up as I really want to get my heart themed quilt done for Valentine's Day and I started cutting last night. I am going to need to make a weekly schedule of sorts where a finish a step towards finishing each week.

I do really like it. That sashing is going to be time consuming but I love it. It’s a perfect way to break things up and give this quilt a bit of pop. I am so glad I already made those border pieces because they look beautiful! On Good Fortune I ended up shrinking the quilt and skipping the outer borders as I didn’t have many of those blocks premade and was trying to finish months later. This time they are done and need to be used!
Old 01-14-2022, 07:13 AM

About the thread continuing, it will go on as long as people need/want it. Last time I dropped out of the thread and sewing back in December and I didn't pick it up again until maybe Valentines? It was well after the reveal that I did the string piecing. Those months are still sort of foggy... so I got the Grassy Creek top done right about Easter. While the majority had completed, there were still some of us working away and/or needing the nudge to work.

And then I posted again when I got the top quilted, that was... September/October. For me, that's a pretty speedy turnaround from being pieced to quilted. Often tops languish for years before the quilting begins.

For me, once the top is done I have to start packing up my sewing room and house in earnest. I'm hoping to be unpacked and ready for a project in time for next year!
Old 01-14-2022, 07:34 AM

I love both the straight set and the diagonal setting of the reveal. As I am only on Clue 4, I have plenty of time to decide what I want to do. I love the little hourglass units in the straight setting, no sashing, finish, but I also love those narrow little sashings in the the diagonal settings. ummm....I don't know about the flying geese either. I am going to use them somehow in this thing. I may play with putting them end to end instead. Or I just may follow the clues!
Old 01-14-2022, 07:56 AM

I like the reveal - although like others, I have my reservations. While I love block B, I'm not sure I like rotating them every other one - so distracting it kinda takes away from the continuity (for me). I'm going to have to play with this idea and see what is most eye appealing for my quilt. My butterflies may have to fly in all one direction. Isn't it great, how we can all sew together the same pattern and yet come out with so many different and yet the same quilts!
Old 01-14-2022, 08:06 AM

After looking at the different pictures of the blocks in progress, I was all set to jump in and start this afternoon. Now I'm not so sure, though I think I'll play around with a different layout, maybe do something more medallion style and see what turns up.

I am normally a big fan of turning on point, but not digging those flying geese in that orientation. Still love the colors though.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:39 AM

With my purple added to the pinks, I will either have to spread them about or, more likely, concentrate them in the center with the pinker blocks around the edges, sort of a medallion thing. If I have that going on, like I mentioned before, just changing the sashing around the corner blocks can enhance the medallion effect. Still so much to do and play with and just little changes in the directions we go really start to make differences here.

One of the other options is I have a soft pale green solid that I used in my Frolic project. Is a nice project to project connection. Is pale, but solid next to solid would enhance what color it has.