Fabric Moratorium 2022

Old 02-27-2022, 04:08 PM

Wow Rob good job! I can only imagine the rows of goodies and you resisted.
Since my fall I've done ok. Still have one of my challenge fabric needing some work but the rest is good. Yesterday I did some cleaning and organizing in the quilt room. As I was looking and petting, I saw a lot of fabric. A few I momentarily forgot I had. So the next time I get the fabric bug, I'll organize another shelf. Hope it helps me to get past the feeling. Happy quilting everyone.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:27 PM

February was not a good month for me, I fell off the wagon hard. I bought 6 pieces of end of bolt sale. I couldn’t resist the price. It was in a color to replace a whole in my stash. I also bought FQs for a queen size quilt I plan to make for my niece after I receive the fabric. Then I bought some jelly rolls for a swap. Then I bought some backing fabric to use for backing and background fabric. I just hope I bought enough for my backings. It will be several months before I have the tops completed. And finally I bought 2 stacks of kid 5” flannel fabric to go with 2 - 5” packs a friend gave me last month. I plan to make 2 kid throws and give away. So I’m climbing back on the wagon. So far I don’t have any fabric out for January or February. I’m just glad March is 2 days away.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:21 AM

Well moratorium friends, I have only purchased backing and a couple of FQs specific to a quilt I am making since the new year. But Good Golly Miss Molly!, I have been blessed with so much fabric in the past month, I have projects falling out of my brain by the bolt. A quilting friend has had to give up quilting for medical reasons and she gave me 5 bags of scraps and at least three unfinished quilts. All three are at some level of piecing done but not finished to the flimsy stage yet. Then there are scraps, pre-washed charm squares and on and on.

Yesterday I picked up two computer paper boxes of the most brilliant, bright and so out of my style fabrics that are high-end 2 and 3-yard cuts that were being given away. In addition among the bags were half finished projects, such as large bed sized quilts that are partially finished hand-quilted beauties. Well the list goes on and on and on. I just could not say no to the opportunity to stretch my quilting style at no cost to me except exercising my brain. .

Oh yes, and there is a trunk load, not exaggerating, of other boxes that will be donated to my quilting group tonight. This quilter's stash was deep and extensive. She passed away and after long years her husband is ready to clean out her studio.

Holding firm on my purchase of fabric and continuing to shop my stash for every creation, but I have been blessed and blessed abundantly with new fabric to keep me turning out more donation quilts. I won't be supporting my LQS very much. Is that good or is that bad. What a quandary!
Old 02-28-2022, 06:52 PM

LOL, I feel your joy/pain WMUTeach -- people don't believe me when I say honestly no, I'm not looking for stuff and people run up and hand it to me. It can't really count against us Moratorium-wise, can it?

I'm not progressing through my stash as fast as I'd like but I'm doing well not buying things. I've started transferring over to plastic boxes and I have a full box of things that are planned to go.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:06 PM

I am reaching that point that I have more fabric than I will use. I try to shop my stash and have done that for the last 2 BH mysteries. I enjoy new fabric lines and think of some fabric of "what was I thinking?" that I have in my stash. No new fabric except backing and battings to get about 8 tops quilted. Some are going to a LA and some I will try and tackle on my own.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:44 AM

Welcome aboard the moratorium train, ScubaK -- I will admit I am hoping that you will at least look/take some of my excess fabric since you are one of my local board members

I'm going through my stash, mostly organizing but also taking out fabric destined to go. It's going to take some time, but I'm whittling away at it. Thinking maybe I will have a 'reasonable" (ie, huge to anyone else) amount of fabric to move at the end. But maybe that's just today talking
Old 03-10-2022, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

It's probably time I joined this group. I do use my stash, but I add to it much too often. I don't feel guilty, but I am running out of space. I hadn't purchased any fabric since the beginning of the year, but then I went on a shop hop a couple of days ago with a good friend. We visited 4 stores, and we both felt it was rude to walk out without buying something, right?

Another friend is sorting through the stash of a deceased quilter, helping her DH get ready for a huge garage sale (or a series of them). My theory is that it's okay to buy fabric from someone else's stash, because it's a zero sum game. Am I right?
Old 03-10-2022, 10:05 AM

The moratorium is completely optional -- the goal is to shop stash first, but yes you can buy if needed. "Need" has various definitions We also have a few extra exemptions here and there -- store closing is generally agreed to be a good reason, but birthday or travel exemptions are also available.

I've been pretty good about no-full price fabric for decades, and when I joined the moratorium a couple of years ago I still gave myself a thrift store exemption -- I think a garage sale exemption might be a good way to get started.

And I consider sharing free fabric, whether giving or taking as fundamentally ok. I just try to ask myself if I really see me using whatever it is in the next five years or not.

My end goal is to not have to have a quilter's estate sale, oh I know there will still be tons of stuff at the end but I'm reducing the load now to what I really want and really hope to use.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post
....s to get about 8 tops quilted. Some are going to a LA and some I will try and tackle on my own.
I'm at that point myself - learning how to quilt it for your self. Love my walking foot -there is no shame in straight or diagonal lines to start! We're not going to be Angela Walters straight outta the gate! Give yourself grace as you learn!
Old 03-11-2022, 07:16 AM

Wow! I have fallen totally off the wagon. My sister and I went on a short shop hop a week ago. I spent $45 on fabric. I know this doesn't sound like a lot but I also ordered another $80 worth of fabric that arrived yesterday (from Hancock) I was setting up a palette of fabrics for a salmon color quilt. All these fabrics were on sale so I was able to get more for the $$$.That doesn't exactly make me feel better that I fell off the wagon. I hope I am done spending. My guild is getting ready for a shop hop in April and as much as I want to go it is not a safe activity for me as I will want to buy and know I shouldn't. I need to get control of myself.