Fabric Moratorium 2022

Old 07-04-2022, 02:57 AM

From post 209, the shirt is coming along so nicely, just might buy more for matchy match pants. This short turn around with fabric is encouraging and still have excitement in the project.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:15 PM

joe’ mom I like your scrappy star idea.

WMUTeach, oh such a great looking basic stack. Batiks plays so well with each other.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:19 PM

So most of the fabric that I purchased for a baby quilt a couple of months ago is now gone and gifted. As it was largely pink, I decided to use up as much as I could, so made a matching doll quilt out of some as well. Enough fabric left over to use for backing too. Oh - and I did go into my stash just a bit for the binding, so got rid of the last bit of pink that was lurking there.

But then came along the family reunion with nieces and nephews, all of whom want quilts. Many of the kids are old enough to have specific taste, and nothing in my stash worked for them, so I purchased several panels and some fabric to coordinate with them. The goal is to have five of the quilts done by the end of the year, with another three in the planning. But if I did as well as I did with the last baby quilt, I should have used up all the new fabric and can probably even use up a bit of what I already have.

Then there is the big exemption coming my way. I retired as of last week, and my colleagues got me a gift certificate to a local quilt shop. I thought about just purchasing batting with it, as I am running low, but decided that batting is essential, so I can pay for it. But a gift card is for something special. So I'll likely purchase something just because it catches my eye. After all, I only plan on retiring once!

As for how is my stash doing? Well, I've finished two lap-sized quilts from it, made a small sewing kit to use for hand sewing that I hope to do on a couple of upcoming road trips, have a queen size that still needs borders, and am in the middle of the Laundry Basket Quilts summer mystery, which is all coming from my stash. So actually, while not measurable in terms of space that it takes up, it is getting a bit smaller. I'll take that as a win.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:17 PM

Isn't this a cute block? It's my latest prep quilt, 'Hopscotch' from Fig Tree. I used my old New Bedford bundle by Denyse Schmidt (love her fabrics!).

Attached Thumbnails img_7509_fotor.jpg  
Old 07-07-2022, 04:44 AM

Joe's Mom - That's adorable. It's going to make a great quilt!
Old 07-11-2022, 05:51 AM

Woodland creature congrats on retirement!
Joe's mom cute block. Hope we get to see the top when you're through.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:28 AM

I've been pretty quiet here and in my quilting lately - sorry about that - but glad to see so many people staying true to the goal of using up fabric stash and being sensible about purchases! Way to go, all!

I've started dabbling again in my hoard of fabrics and found myself poking through the box of HSTs I picked up while thrifting. I've already made one quilt (blue and beige hourglasses) inspired by those little bits and have now chosen to work with aquatic tones based on a set of four related prints in the HST box. It's lovely to have a quilt without a deadline as there are so many things to do around the house and garden now that the summer is here. I've gone through the rest of my stash of smaller pieces (no yardage was harmed in the making of this quilt other than a piece of white for background) and found another 21 fabrics that blend in and am now making these finds up into 3.5" pinwheels. Not expecting to be able to post any finishes soon, but am so pleased to have found so many fabrics that play together well.

I've also been keeping in touch with Iceblossom and she hopes to be back in the fall after navigating the challenges of her cross-country move to central Illinois. Her fabric is all packed and she's shortlisting which machines will be making the move with her. They still haven't sold the house and don't yet have a forwarding address but are expecting to be moving sooner rather than later so it's going to be a very busy few months, I think! She does send her greetings, though. :-)

Look forward to seeing more posts of stash-reducing celebrations! Happy summer quilting, all!
Old 07-12-2022, 09:05 AM

I miss Iceblossom's posts. Tell her good luck and safe travels.

I've also been keeping in touch with Iceblossom and she hopes to be back in the fall after navigating the challenges of her cross-country move to central Illinois. Her fabric is all packed and she's shortlisting which machines will be making the move with her. They still haven't sold the house and don't yet have a forwarding address but are expecting to be moving sooner rather than later so it's going to be a very busy few months, I think! She does send her greetings, though. :-)
Old 07-12-2022, 06:30 PM

Message relayed, mmunchkins. :-)
Old 07-13-2022, 10:06 AM

Hi guys, I'm just returning after several years gone. I do remember several of my old friends from those days!! Petthefabric -- Iceblossom -- Bearisgray -- and the every last day I was here in 2018, we were talking about reducing our stashes!!! LOL It is sure good to meet y'all again!!