Fabric Moratorium 2022

Old 07-14-2022, 06:45 AM

Welcome back, SillySusan! Looking forward to hearing about your fabric-reducing adventures. :-)
Old 07-14-2022, 08:18 AM

Welcome back SillySusan!

Rob
Old 07-14-2022, 12:53 PM

Thank you, Gemm. I've been working on reducing my stash for many years. I haven't bought any fabric from regular shops for so long -- my memory doesn't go back that long -- but when I see that wonderful bundle of scraps, or little pieces under a yard at thrift stores and at such ridiculously low prices, I can't resist!! The large stacks that filled a spare bedroom and loft area and were at least shoulder high are now knee high, so I guess I'm moving in the right direction. LOL
There is hope, y'all. Just keep the faith! We will succeed!!
Old 07-14-2022, 12:57 PM

Thank you, Rob. I do remember you and Iceblossom, and Bearisgray and the others in the bunch from years ago!! I remember making up excuses to buy fabric! What a fun time!
Old 07-14-2022, 02:00 PM

SillySusan, I'm with you on the thrift store finds... my biggest downfall!!!
Old 07-15-2022, 02:55 AM

I truly wish I had started keeping track of fabric in and fabric out this year. I am curious how much fabric I have used this year. I know more has gone out than in because I can see the evidence in my stash. I started before the lock down with putting a hold on buying except for backing. Nearly all of my backings are gone and I need to shop for backing more nearly every finish. But I have learned to piece backs to expand a piece that is too short or too narrow. Good skill to have at hand. Now and again I do long to pick up a pattern and walk through the doors of a quilt shop and purchase just what I desire. Got the chance for a commissioned quilt and that calmed the desire. I am experiencing joy and pleasure in using what is at hand and all that has been donated to me. Shopping with out the bill at the end!.. Love it! Yeah!!
Old 07-15-2022, 05:03 AM

Welcome back Silly Susan!
I tried keeping track of fabric in and out but I struggled to do so mid year. I am busy loading quilts to be quilted. Got three ready and one already loaded. Two are ufos so that's something. I'm using all fabric from stash. I have two more that I need to find backing for as well. Just need to dig harder lol. I kind of have a slump in what project to start next so while I'm thinking about, I can finish a few quilts.
Happy quilting everyone!
Old 07-18-2022, 06:42 AM

Elly, way to go on keeping the momentum going even through the creativity/inspiration slumps. I've been back to walking past the current project and then slinking away because I'm not sure my idea is going to work the way I want it to, but maybe I'll trim a few of the blocks and test it out instead of avoiding all the time.

I also admire those of you who do the fabric in/out thing - I've seen it on various posts and briefly considered it, but have decided against it for now. Maybe if my stash ever becomes more of a yardage stash than "lots of little bits" stash it will make more sense to give it a go. :-)
Old 07-18-2022, 07:06 PM

Default New Idea for stash stuff

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Isn't this a cute block? It's my latest prep quilt, 'Hopscotch' from Fig Tree. I used my old New Bedford bundle by Denyse Schmidt (love her fabrics!).
I like thie quilt. 2 weeks ago I was given several bags of fabric and when I arrived home, I of course had to dig thru my "new" stash and found several 9-patch squares (about 15 completed squares). Think I'll make something along the Hopscotch quilt. Thanks for the idea.
-------------------
Was also given left over quilt batting cut to about 2" wide strips. Think I'll make a new Catheral Window quilt. I like to put a bit of batting under the small block so it will be warmer than if no batting was used. MyLord knows exactly what I need for my nest quilt and always provides it for me. Catheral Window quilt was one of the first quilts Momma showed me so many years ago. Loved the fact that when it was finished it did not need to be placed on the frame.
-------------------
Also found a beautiful Bald Eagle pic that I'm going to make into a quilt. This will be my own design and will remain in my home. I saw "Baldie" when I was a kid and fell in love with him. He had to live out his life in a cage due to being shot in the wing and left to die. Rangers followed the sound of the shot and were able to save Baldie's life but he seemed so sad just sitting in that cage. I'm going to name the quilt "In Baldie's Honor". He will be free as he was meant to be.

Last edited by MaryKa; 07-18-2022 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:57 PM

Sounds like you have some great stash-based projects in your future, MaryKa! I look forward to seeing what you come up with - I hope you'll post some pictures!

I find I prefer this process of looking at the fabric and finding inspiration from that direction rather than having a pattern in mind and then hunting down the fabric to make it work (other than for I Spy quilts which are a different kettle of fish altogether). It also fits in with the goals we share in this thread. :-D Granted, I'm still a relative neophyte in the realm of quiltmaking so maybe I just haven't discovered the joy of having all of my fabrics completely coordinated and cohesive without having to worry about it or audition 50 pieces of fabric to find the one I need!

I have found one of the most enjoyable things about gifted or found collections of fabric is to take a picture of the fabric when I get it or when I've first pulled for a quilt (if I've been "gifted" it from my stash) and then to take a picture of the final product to celebrate the beauty that comes from randomness. Small things can give such great pleasure. :-)