2022 UFO challenge

Old 06-12-2022, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

I still have 4 quilt tops waiting to be quilted and only 1 still being created. I’ve decided to really concentrate on getting it finished- I have one block almost done, I left to work on then a center piece that is fairly large- it’s flannel and I’ve been embroidering and embellishing the blocks and sashing strips by hand ( my travel / work break project) it’s reaching the point where I will be happy to start putting it together- it’s going to be wonderful!
here’s a couple of the blocks I’ve finished
Attached Thumbnails e5b07ed5-90cc-4cbf-97f9-b5c402bce3c1.jpeg   d515ad88-8361-4493-a702-57f5940c7b37.jpeg  
Old 06-15-2022, 10:34 PM

Default Fell off the wagon

Spring arrived and I fell off the UFO wagon. I haven’t worked on anything in 2-3 months. I have hauled 10 tons of dirt with a wheel barrel to fill in a low spot in my yard that was causing water to drain under my house, picked up a bunch of shifts at work, broke my foot and continued to walk on it (it was just sprained right?), built and planted 4 raised flower beds, and did some late spring cleaning (the fur tumbleweeds were breeding and plotting world domination. I have not however quilted at all.

Then my father pointed out, on four separate occasions, that he still didn’t have a quilt. Also, that he was the family member here hooking up my new well pump to water those four garden beds. So, with the arrival of extreme heat I am hiding and putting my nose to the grind stone or the longarm. His quilt has been pieced for three years. I just need to quilt it and I have 1/3 of it done.

Please wish me luck
Old 06-16-2022, 02:28 AM
Power Poster

Good luck- You can do it! Your dad will be grateful and you will feel motivated and happy with getting the quilt finished.
i also have spent the past couple weeks doing much needed yard work - including hauling with wheel barrel and spreading over 800 pounds of mulch- not any sewing. I need to get busy again since I’ve received 2 new commission requests. Between graduation parties, memorial services, work and yard work….I think if I had 30 hour days and 9 days a week— still wouldn’t get it all done- but taking the moments as the come..
I hope you share pictures of your dad’s quilt when you finish it. 😉
Old 06-16-2022, 04:57 AM

Quilting Raven, Off the wagon....but back on the wagon again! Tee-Hee-Hee!! Good for you.

I have been so busy using up scrapes and trying to decrease my stash that I have failed to finish, really finish right down to the binding and label finish, for a while. More flimsies handing in the closet, stash diminishing but the potential for UFOs has increased by about 5 or 6. Oh, well it is just a balancing game. Less stash and more unfinished projects lining up to jump in to the UFO cue. Fabric Moratorium or UFO that is the question.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:46 AM

Default Dad’s quilt

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Good luck- You can do it! Your dad will be grateful and you will feel motivated and happy with getting the quilt finished.
i also have spent the past couple weeks doing much needed yard work - including hauling with wheel barrel and spreading over 800 pounds of mulch- not any sewing. I need to get busy again since I’ve received 2 new commission requests. Between graduation parties, memorial services, work and yard work….I think if I had 30 hour days and 9 days a week— still wouldn’t get it all done- but taking the moments as the come..
I hope you share pictures of your dad’s quilt when you finish it. 😉
I will definitely post a picture. It’s a 3 dude’s quilt. I’m just building my FMQ skills so it’s just an all over stippling pattern. I should finish quilting today, but then I work the next 2 days so binding will likely have to wait.
Old 06-18-2022, 03:58 PM

Quilting Raven, I understand your UFO issue. I have a tote full of finished tops needing to be quilted. My June goal to quilt 2 of them and finish a top UFO I now only need to add one more border and, iron top & square. Then figure out the backing from my stash. Then it’s done.

WMUTeach, why not count for both threads, UFO and fabric Moratorium. I usually do.

ckcowl, such lovely appliqué blocks. I’m looking forward to seeing the finish top.

we’ll have a Happy Father’s Day everyone. Take care and enjoy your week.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:10 PM

Happylab, eventually they will count for both Fabric Moratorium and UFO Challenge but I need to finish something. To quote my friend Scarlett O'Hara, "I'll just think about it tomorrow."

I spent most of this afternoon piecing batting scraps in an effort to clean out a big old tub of scraps and then use them in some of my donation quilts and small to mid-sized UFOs. Goodwill is on my way to church tomorrow and will get a donation of batting I am just not going to deal with. (Too small and I have all the swiffer and dusting pieces I need for quite a while.)

Old 06-20-2022, 05:32 PM

I decided "it's time" and basted 3 scrappy tops that had been hanging out in the closet. They weren't that old but I needed a break from them and now I'm a little burned out on piecing so it's time to do some quilting. (Such as my skills allow - but you don't get better just looking at it) All 3 are charity donations. I have 3 more in the closet and another I just finished this weekend - no back yet , but that one is going to the longarm lady. Anyway so that's...7 yeah...7...wow...
Old 06-20-2022, 05:59 PM

Congrats on your progress Rff1010.

i finally finished my Bauble top. Next week I plan to quilt it. So I’m making progress.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:51 PM

I have finished my father’s quilt but I forgot to take a picture. I have labeled and bound two others and should finish the third tonight. Unfortunately my UFO list did not shorten due to finding two quilted quilts I forgot about.
Attached Thumbnails bf0a3738-e6c1-4562-92f1-e45c65e50645.jpeg   42cc3287-7ac0-4a83-b08a-5c95fbf31d52.jpeg