Boom 30 - Autumn

Old 09-05-2023, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I made my first Boom 30 block... for Lstew's Fall quilt. Hope this is something like what you had in mind, Lstew!
Attached Thumbnails img_3811.jpg  
Old 09-05-2023, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
Had a wonderful day today with our youngest GD. She’s just so darn easy (most of the time) that it makes it hard to say goodbye. Happily, the family is coming over this weekend to swim. And I’m sure a cookout will happen, too. Looks like I’ll get a chance to fly out to KS in October to see my other son, his DGF, and my two grandpups.

All the F8s I’ve received so far are sorted out. The final packages are due on Saturday so we should be good for a Monday mailing. All the fabrics are beautiful so I think you’ll all be pleased. The temptation to play with them is strong! Lol.

Libster, let’s put it out in the universe that the news will be positive when you have your PET scan in January! Same for Sewbizgirl. Only positive thoughts and prayers for a very successful surgery tomorrow.

I’ve been meaning to post this pic for weeks. It’s a baby hummingbird that we think had just lost his nest in a storm. He still comes to the feeder regularly. He was upright, seemingly asleep on the feeder when another hummingbird actually tipped him over and attempted to feed him. Wonder if that was mom. Anyway, missed that shot but got one upside down! Enjoy for a laugh!
Your upside down hummingbird is a once in a blue moon occurrance! Did it happen on the Blue Moon, August 31??!
Old 09-05-2023, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by All2Pieces View Post
Hi WMUTeach! Glad to have you here.

"So for all of you experienced "Boomers" do you dive in and work on them until finished, do two a week or work on the easy first and move to harder ones and how for goodness sake do you keep track of everyone's requests? "

I cannot work straight through all 19 requests. I like to look at all the fabrics and notes from the senders and then "let the fabric speak to me". *LOL* Sometimes I have an idea in my head already, sometimes I don't. Most times I have something to match or work with in my stash. If not, I get to shop! Sometimes I can use the same block pattern for multiple fabrics, so I do two or three at one session.

Do what makes you comfortable. You can usually search this thread for the sender's first few posts to see what they want. Or just ask them to state it again. You can be as simple or creative as you want. Don't get intimidated. Look in the photo album for ideas. We have about 3 months to return the finished blocks to Janice.

I look forward to your blocks. Cheers!

WMUTeach I made the mistake once of waiting to see a lot of blocks finished for one person before I decided what pattern and fabric to use. It took me more time to make something significantly different. (I'm a little worry wart about that) Then....when all is said and done we're each unique people and there isn't ever a matching block in colors or design!
Old 09-05-2023, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
WMUTeach, the written instructions for your F8s are the ones that everyone will fall back on. Hopefully, most will read this and hopefully add it to their memory banks for your Americana blocks but some will not. Also, block choice is the maker’s. Some people prefer to make more modern blocks so you may get some of those. It helps to be flexible in your expectations. I think you will be happy with the blocks you receive as most people really give their best.

Sorry about asking for traditional blocks. I saw block type in other directions when I opened the bags this afternoon. I of course will welcome whatever comes my way. Thank you everyone.
WMUTeach, I've got you added to my list along with Annaquilts and Hav4boys additional suggestions for colors, etc. I got my package and opened it Sunday. What a variety of fabrics that I can't wait to get started on!
Old 09-05-2023, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Sewbiz, I hear you on nerve pain. It's awful. This knee is still hurting, but not all the time. I'll have a good day and then bam! I'm in pain for another day or longer. I did a tiny bit of sewing several days ago and haven't been since. I just can't sit or stand for any length of time. Working on that in PT. Still icing the knee several times a day too.
Hope each day finds you a bit better.
Susie QOH, My physical therapist said the nerve pain is the last of the healing processes for knee surgery. Mine has lingered 9 months but then its way better than it was the first 2 months. Everybody is different and I mostly pray for acceptance for the speed of healing. I want it done and DONE NOW but its not always like that LOL!
Old 09-05-2023, 12:02 PM

Had almost all day to sew today and managed two more blocks. First is for Duckling and the second for Hav4boys. I enjoyed making them. Hope they’ll work for you.
Thanks JaniceMCC. The first of my Candy Cane Quilt and it's perfect!
Old 09-05-2023, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

Loving the blocks!!!
Duckling- yes, I need to be patient. Thanks for chiming in!
Old 09-05-2023, 02:21 PM

Had almost all day to sew today and managed two more blocks. First is for Duckling and the second for Hav4boys. I enjoyed making them. Hope they’ll work for you.
Wonderful blocks, really pretty.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I made my first Boom 30 block... for Lstew's Fall quilt. Hope this is something like what you had in mind, Lstew!
This block is so perfect. It's exactly what I had in Mind. I love it, thank you.
Old 09-05-2023, 03:44 PM

Oh such lovely blocks! Y'all haxe such good skills.