Boom 30 - Autumn

Old 09-10-2023, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LogCabin82 View Post
I love the Pica Pau books, almost all my babies come from there! Do you have a favorite? Here’s a few other books I like…
LC, PICA PAU! I've made the otter (twice), the dragon, frog, cheetah, cayman, donkey and gazelle. I think my favorite is athe cayman (like a gator). I made the cat in a jumper from the second book. My grandkids LOVE these toys!

How about you? Which have you made and who is your favorite?

Before I had grandkids I also knitted a lot of animal toys, but those are mine and stay at my house.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

I made some blocks this afternoon. First a cog block (star) for Libster, and then two modern style Christmas blocks for Reba, (Tula Pink). I was a little disappointed that two of the crosses in the first block for Reba melt into the background fabric. I hope that can be fixed with some outline quilting. Hope you like these, Lib and Reba!
Attached Thumbnails img_3827.jpg   img_3828.jpg   img_3829.jpg  
Old 09-10-2023, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LogCabin82 View Post
Here is a dragon block for Anna. I thought these dragons were so fun and whimsical. Hope you and your grand daughter like it!

Oh my they are adorable! Thank you.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:05 AM

[QUOTE=LogCabin82;8616513 Nice blocks WMU! I really like Sewbiz block design. Is there a name for that block?[/QUOTE]

Oh, I am giggling and my face is red. I made a mistake on the very first cut and had to make adjustments and corrections. It was meant to be a simple "economy block" but ended up just being an exercise in "let's try this, Ok, let's try that, and it measured 12.5, done!"
Old 09-11-2023, 08:40 AM

WMUTeach, Square in Square type blocks, like basket blocks, are my nemeses. Both I find exceedingly difficult to get to hit the right size without wonkiness. I admire your determination and ingenuity to make it work! I think I need a Square in a Square quilt just to practice enough to make them right all the time.
Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Oh, I am giggling and my face is red. I made a mistake on the very first cut and had to make adjustments and corrections. It was meant to be a simple "economy block" but ended up just being an exercise in "let's try this, Ok, let's try that, and it measured 12.5, done!"
Old 09-11-2023, 08:58 AM

Oh I love you all - we are all alike and willing to laugh at ourselves! Thank you for that. I can recall how intimidated I used to be when I first started swapping and how you all made me fill its ok to redo a pattern!
And now for my "new" block for AnnaQuilt's Eden
Attached Thumbnails annaeden.jpg  
Old 09-11-2023, 09:11 AM

Janice Mc, I don't know why but the economy block has always been one of my favorites. I use them often but I do not do the complicated math calculations. I know I can, but why, when there is a handy, dandy little chart with all the calculations done already. I often use this site to help me with calculations, scroll down to the chart AKA cheat sheet The calculations have been perfect every time with just enough extra to square up to the 1/4in needed for the seam for the next round. .https://catbirdquilts.wordpress.com/2014/01/26/economy-block-any-size-with-cheat-sheet/

For this block I cut the center square the incorrect size so had to expand it, then added side triangles and it was...blah. Spent some time with my friend "Jack" and added the little triangles and away I went. Squared up and ta-da! I just might try it again, purposefully and make the little focus fabric triangles larger. These were 2.5, I would likely go 3".

Give them a try they can become quite addictive.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:28 AM

This Aunt Addie's block is for Libster. I had to laugh how we will rip apart a block if it doesn't appear the way we want. That was the case with this block. Originally, I made the points of the star pink and burgundy which matched the flowers, but it just had a glaring effect. I remade the block with a softer pallet.

Attached Thumbnails img_0329.jpg  
Old 09-11-2023, 09:36 AM

Lol, Cheese, I’ve had a block up on the design wall for a week trying various color combinations! Nothing seems satisfactory! At least I hadn’t gotten it fully together before I nixed it. I’m about to give up and go with my original plan. If I cannot figure it out in a week, I’m never going to be completely happy anyway. Sheesh.

Love your Aunt Addie. I think it’s splendid.
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
This Aunt Addie's block is for Libster. I had to laugh how we will rip apart a block if it doesn't appear the way we want. That was the case with this block. Originally, I made the points of the star pink and burgundy which matched the flowers, but it just had a glaring effect. I remade the block with a softer pallet.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:39 AM

TG, love how you can figure out ways to make names and initials this block is great Eden will love it

Cheesehead Libster’s block is a favorite of mine, your colors are great

First block is for Anna, it’s busy but I tried to get as many of your granddaughter’s favorite critters in that I could.
Second block is for All2pieces. Center fabric is rubber duckies with blue hats
Third is for Reba, I hope by my off setting the inside square it is modern enough for you.

Hope you like your blocks
Attached Thumbnails img_3085.jpeg   img_3089.jpeg   img_3087.jpeg