Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric? >

Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

Old 01-26-2010, 04:07 PM

My husband is a woodworker and has tons of plain, exotic, fancy grain (and it goes on and on) pieces of wood in his shop so he has absolutely no where to go with me when it comes to my stash of fabric. We're trying to find that perfect sewing/wood craft that could make us a million bucks!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:10 PM

My husband takes me to shops and helps me buy fabric.

I am very lucky. He made a special trip to Gastonia, NC from SC on our way home, just to go to a fabric shop that Ninnie told me about.

It was awesome. Thanks a million Ninnie
Old 01-26-2010, 04:33 PM

If the bills are being paid and it isn't breaking the budget, remind him of his purchases for whatever it is he is into...and if he doesn't have any hobbies.....how much does he spend on beer?..........LOL!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:35 PM

I AGREE WITH LIFE IS TO SHORT TO BE CONTROLED BY ARE HUSBANDS. QUILTING MAY COST SOME MONEY FOR THINGS YOU NEED. BUT THE WARMTH.AND LOVE AND TIME IT TAKES TO MAKE ONE QUILT AND IF GIVE IT TO SOMEONE YOU LOVE THINK OF HOW SPECIAL THEY WILL FEEL. MAN LIKE THERE TOOLS, WILL SO QUILTER USE DIFFERENT TOOLS.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:05 PM

Next time that guy wants a new tool, drilled him for what reason. If he wants to complain about your fabric buying, start complaining about his big boy tool buying or what other hobby he has.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:14 PM

When I was a teen, I was hiding shoes in the trunk of my car from my mother. When I was married, I brought my fabric in from the garage through the Laundry Room, so I threw it in the washer. He never noticed the new fabric. DAH? However, I was making all my clothes. Now I am staying with my mother until Spring and I am back to storing items in my van! She always wants to know, "Don't you have enough fabric yet?" My response is always the same, "Probably Not!" Cannot wait for Spring, then I will have my own Office/Workshop and fabric storage building. YEAH!! I am sooo looking forward to setting up my sewing room and getting organized.

The truth is that everytime I think I might not buy any more fabric for a while, I find a stack I just know I will need for a project.

The tools are mine as well and I love bigboy tools. I have had my own toolbox since I was 12.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
My wife and I actually keep separate checking accounts. Her paychecks go into her account, mine go into my account. We each have designated bills to pay each month, and having separate accounts just makes it easier to manage. So she doesn't care what I spend my money on, and likewise I don't care what she spends hers on. We've been doing it this way about 10 years now, and life is much less stressful now!
my husband & i do the same, and have since we've been together. he has no idea what i spend on fabric, or what it costs....he came up to my studio & looked at my stash & said "you must have a $100.00 worth of fabric here" yeah times 10or 12, but then again, i don't know what he spent for those 4 sheets of cherry plywood, or the cherry stock he just got... works for us!
Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by sylvia77
My husband complains if I want to spend money on fabric, if it's only $5.00! I have to sneak it in so he doesn't get mad. Does anyone else have this problem?
I've been thinking about your message for a couple of days now and am really bothered by it.

I am sorry when I hear other woman saying they have to ask permission in order to spend money. It doesn't matter who earns the paycheck. In a marriage you are a team.

I think both parties have to understand their budget, but perhaps the two of you could determine the amount of money each of you could spend monthly without having to account for each penny. After bills are paid, and groceries are bought, it might only be $10 or $20 for each of you. The point is, that each of you should be able to spend a little money however you see fit, without having to justify to the other how your spent your share.

My husband and I don't have a set amount for ourselves but neither of us overspend and neither of us would make a large purchase without discussing it first.

it just seems to me that you are both adults and asking permission seems like a parent/child situation. Your husband may not "get" your need for fabric, and I'll bet there might be something he likes that doesn't make sense to you. I hope you two can have a conversation about this and come up with a manageable solution. Then if you want to buy fabric, and he wants to spend his money on ??? both of you will be happy.
You know, Janet, just a few days after I joined a thread like this started (seems like a monthly thread, lol)
I posted some thing very similar to your thoughts...

It hurts to read. It hurts to comment too harshly, because we have no ideas what else is going on and we have no ideas if we are speaking to someone in an abusive / destructive relationship

It hurts because here we are, encouraging them to stick up for themselves when really we maybe we should be saying run for your life, ...and how do you know the difference, on line, over the internet?

(I am NOT saying anyone here is in this situation.....please, don't read into this things that are not there.)
I certainly am not trying to encourage Sylvia to get into an argument about this.

I don't know her situation. All I was hoping to do is to encourage her to talk with her husbnd about this situation in the hopes that they could reach some agreement about this money issue.

I ws distressed to hear that $5.00 spent on fabric causes trouble and she feels the need to sneak in fabric to avoid making him mad.

It may be naive of me to think that talking with him might smooth things out. I don't know her situation. I just want the best for her.
Janet, I am 100% IN AGREEMENT with what you said. 100%. I am sorry if you thought otherwise.
No, not at all. I think you make a very good point that communication over the internet is very limited and can be misunderstood.

I hope Sylvia has been keeping up with all of this and knows that we really care.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:53 PM

I'm really lucky! My hubby also enables my habit. Today he asked me if I wanted him to run me to the fabric shop for anything. I said I didn't have anything in particular but he said let's go look and see. He always comments about my projects. He's always saying that my projects "look beautiful".
Old 01-26-2010, 05:56 PM

My husband has passed on now so I can do what I please but I hear him urging me on. He used to take me a quilt shop and encourage me to buy more and more. He got so caught up, he bought his own machine and started quilting. In his last years when he became too weak to go into the shop with me he would say "buy some for me too". He was too ill to do anything but he loved new fabric and loved to see me sew. I cared for him at home and sewed and sewed. He loved to watch so now on special occasions, I go to the quilt shop and splurge! I know he would want me to.