Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms. >

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:44 PM

Two years ago my sixth child moved out and I made his room into my sewing room. DD has finally finished school and found a job and is moving out this weekend. Monday morning my DH will be tearing down the wall between the two to make a bigger sewing room. It was actually her idea but she does know that if she needs to come home the door is always open.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:14 PM

I have 3 bedrooms in the back of my house, the biggest one was my craft room until my son was about 10 and it was obvious he needed more space. So I moved my stuff out and his stuff in. I used to kid him when he was in college that he was "living" in my sewing room. When he graduated from college and moved out, I didn't waste any time re-establishing that room as mine. When my son would come over he would always say, "when I move back in mom, you're going to have to move all this junk out of here", to which I would reply, "if you move back, you'll be sleeping in the guest room". He did move back for a while, he did take over the guest room (and a big part of the living room as well), but I hung onto my sewing room!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:36 PM

A week after I left home at 17 my parents had made my room a tv room. I was a only child growing up. Felt strange but it was good.It was time to grow up. Besides it can always be moved back into a bedroom. why not enjoy it for as long as you can?
Old 02-19-2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
How did your children react when you took over their rooms after they left the nest and turned it into a sewing room?

My DS won't let our parents do anything to her room. she has been married for 4 yrs. and lives 4 hrs away. She is the baby of the family and spoiled(not by me). When I left home my Mom packed my room and did the same with my DB. Making sure we didn't come back to live just visit.
Our kids were both out of the house and on their own when I moved into our daughter's room (the youngest). We put a hide a bed in our son's room for them to use when they visit and another hide a bed in the living room for when both visited. The grandchildren considered it a real treat to sleep in our son's old room even though it had the hideabed in there. They lived close enough though that over nights were very rare. Normally only at Christmas.

When the kids leave home, the parents can use those rooms however they wish. That doesn't mean the kids aren't welcome to visit and stay for awhile. They've moved on and the parents should as well but I did wait until they were both out of college and had their own places and then I moved fast.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:22 PM

My step-daughter leaves to start university this coming fall. My DH will help me move into her room. My sewing room is only a slightly smaller footprint than her BR, but hers is a better layout, door/windows/closet. Also, we are gradually redoing all the floors in the house with under-floor heat, so we have to empty the room anyway for that project. We will turn my current SR into a guest room, so there will always be a bed for any of the kids to come visit.

When my folks sold the house I grew up in...about 6 or 7 yrs after I had moved out, I cried!!! Part of letting go of the childhood nostalgia, I suppose. Then when my sister and her DH were house hunting a few years ago, their realtor called to say she had the "perfect" house for them to look at. When she gave them the address, my sister laughed....it was our childhood home!!! No, they didn't buy it....my BIL felt it might be too hard for her to see how it had changed. They did find their perfect house, and had about 2 1/2 yrs to work on updating it before his cancer came back....and he lost a 20 year battle. But my DS is very happy there with the memories they made there together.

This has been a fun thread to read...and helpful for me to move forward with my SR "upgrade" next fall without feeling guilty....well, not too much anyway. ;)

Patti
Old 02-19-2010, 07:25 PM

Mine have moved back in a few times and we've shared the space but now I've decided not to give up the space anymore! If Momma's not happy nobody's happy! :)
Old 02-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

I don't know but I guess DH and I were very different parents then most. Our kids' needs were put above our needs but what the kids wanted was never put above what DH and I wanted.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:49 AM

I have moved into a different house, so the extra bedroom was mine from the start.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
How did your children react when you took over their rooms after they left the nest and turned it into a sewing room?

My DS won't let our parents do anything to her room. she has been married for 4 yrs. and lives 4 hrs away. She is the baby of the family and spoiled(not by me). When I left home my Mom packed my room and did the same with my DB. Making sure we didn't come back to live just visit.
What do you mean? "DS won't LET our parents do anything to her room."? IMHO, she no longer lives there and they don't "owe" her anything. If they want to do something with her old room, she'll get over it.

:lol:
Old 02-20-2010, 08:19 AM

My son graduated last may, started college in July. We waited a month before hubby turned it into an office. ok fine, my son wasn't upset about cause like he said, i'll only be back for short breaks, so do what you want. Ok, now...he's coming back home!!! quit his college out in seattle and now wants to go to university in Montana--problem...can't get in til fall!!! wondering now, where are we going to put him now for 7-8 months!!!!! I guess we should have waited until he actually graduated from college before we "claimed" his room!! oh well, we'll figure something out--he'll be back home by the end of the month so i guess we'd better hurry and figure out a solution for him. Never thought he'd come back for such an extended amount of time..