Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-20-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I've got my piecing machine, the Two Spool, the Davis VF for straight & wavy quilting (I actually have both the old & new models because I love the machine so much!), the 15-88 for fm quilting, the 31-15 for larger projects (just got a walking foot for it, but waiting for a part), Eldredge chainstitcher for embroidery, a Necchi BU that I drop in the straight leg Singer cabinet for "ZZ" capabilities. Also re-painted a Singer 128 hand crank and named her Blue Sally (the instructions are on my webshots), a featherweight just because they're cute as a button (only electric). Got many others throughout the house but these are my 'main' machines that I use daily (at least I WISH I could use them daily!). REALLY gotta get my pictures updated. I have sworn off Craigslist for awhile now because I can't help myself. I joined this quilting forum so I would actually USE them more, and here I am again talking about machines. ha ha.

If anyone has a machine that is beyond saving in regards to the decals & paint, the re-painting really wasn't that hard and you can pick your favorite color. I LOVE blueish-purple!
Wow, I am a few pages behind so maybe this has been answered, but the Eldredge? Is that like a Wilcox and Gibbs with just a chain stitch or something different? I am so envious on your sewing space and machines!

Nancy
Old 02-20-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
im at work at my party store, but sooo excited i can hardly stand it, one of my regular customers just came in and gave me an elna supermatic in a case like ive never seen before. Says he has several more in the attic he is going to bring them all to me. YIPPEE!!!
What!!!!!!!!!!!! Some people have all the luck! Congratulations!

Nancy
Old 02-20-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
DH and I have been playing musical chairs with my sewing machines. Trying to place them so they are actually usable and not just eye candy. My Mickey Mouse room (yes, I'm 65 and have a MM room) is full with my MM stuff, red furniture and an abundance of sewing machines. I have a big chest of drawers (red) full of the stuff that goes with my machines, the hutch my grandfather made (gramma used it in her kitchen all their life and it was pretty rough when I got it) we reworked it and painted it red. I have a model 15 in a red cabinet, 2 red eye treadles in cabinets, on the chest I have a hand crank 99k, and a sphnix head, on the hutch I have an old MW reverse sew and a 99k, on the wall on shelves I have 3 black feather weights and a long bed black 301, on the floor another 99k and a little machine I think made by National (it's a strange little one)plus Elvira is waiting for a cabinetand in this full room I'm going to put my Davis VF. Have an older Necci-Alco, a 306k, a Spartan, my computerized Brother and my serger in my regular sewing room. We put the Japanese Diamond model 15 treadle in our bedroom in a place where I can use it too.
And I still want more machines.......lol
Wow! I love red! I'd love to see your MM room too!

Nancy
Old 02-20-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Thanks Billy. Just getting caught up on mail. Had a trip to the hospital sometime during the nite..home now. Kickin back and catchin up with mail. Things are gonna sit for a wee bit.. but will be full swing soon. Will enjoy pics of everyone else's stuff:) miss the pics...
Donna, I hope you are just getting spoiled rotten and enjoying your self now!

Nancy
Old 02-20-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
Well, after talking to Glenn I got up enough nerve to remove the very damaged veneer from my machine and refinish what was underneath. Not a good job and my wood filler didn't take stain like the label said it would so I did some painting of my own.
Miss Eva, you are quite talented!

Nancy
Old 02-20-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I like to take her camping with me and sit at the picnic table. She went from a neglected machine to one I absolutely LOVE. I also hear there's an irredescent automotive paint out there that actually changes colors. How cool would that be?
Oh my gosh! You take her camping and sew on the picnic table? What a novel idea! Geeze, I love this group!

Nancy
Old 02-20-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Look what came to live at my house today!
Sewbizgirl, I'd make room in my house for both of those machines in a heartbeat! Congratulations!

Nancy
Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by denise d
Her serial number is 11622384. From looking at the singer site looks like she is from around 1893, but what model is she... etc.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

Also, here is a picture of her
She is a Singer Model 27 with the Sphinx decal. Very nice machine to treadle. She should have a perfect stitch and she'll go through almost anything including the doubled flat felt seams when you want to hem a pair of jeans! That is what I use my 127 (same as the 27, except where the bobbin winder is located) for!

Nancy
Old 02-20-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by KatFish
Okay, I thought we had the tension problem fixed on my Singer 201-2, but it acting up again. I sewed with it all afternoon with no problems, changed the bobbin twice. After the second bobbin change, I again had the top tread sitting on the top of the fabric. After re-treading both upper and bobbin 3 times, we fiddled again with the bobbin tension screw. Got it okay again, sewed two blocks, and now it sews three perfect stitches, then sews four stitches laying on top. How do I fix this.

I have checked the bobbins, and I am using the older ones, and I checked for warpness. What am I missing.
Maybe it needs a new needle. Have you tried that, yet?
Possibly it is THAT particular bobbin that is causing the problem.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:12 AM

I had a question about my Free treadle pictured on page 627 that I got answered in a book Cathie bought for me about treadle sewing machines that I thought I'd share with you all!

My Free seams to want to pull the fabric sideways when I am piecing with him. According to this book, that is because the older machines sometimes have feed dogs that were different lengths - a short and long feed dog -- well, when the feed dogs are different lengths they tend to want to feed the fabric kinda sideways. This book says in the case of the different length feed dogs, you will have to really hold onto the fabric to keep it going in a straight line! I thought, WOW so that is why I always have trouble keeping my 1/4 seam straight on that treadle!

Also, thought I'd share something else. Kathie to answer the question about the tension spring wire, I said last night some of the machines are not so picky about having that tension spring wire. Well, Billy is right (of course). You do need the wire. Someone else on here has a problem with her 201's thread sitting on top? My Free did that too until my DH and I figured out that the tension spring wire was not rocking up and down with thread correctly which is what keeps the thread from bunching on top of the fabric when the take up thread guide goes up and down! That tension wire has to rock with the thread to keep enough tension on the thread to give you uniform nice smooth stitches!

Nancy