Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-07-2011, 08:42 AM

I saw this listing on shop goodwill. Is this a repaint of a Singer? I have never seen decals styled like the picture shows.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=7688622
Old 04-07-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Originally Posted by jtapp9

ETA: My 1/4" foot (P60617) slant shank is also w/in 1/16th" on test strips, too. My foot has a little wiggle in it that I think might account for that. Does yours wiggle at all?

Thanks, :D
Mine is a generic foot that i bought from April30's (?). May have to invest in the alphasew foot, but they look 'almost' identical. I'm getting that screw in seam guide this week also, so it may prove to be what I want.
Hmm, I can't see a wiggly 1/4" foot working for me. I need those accurate 1/4" seams. Guess I'll be returning that 1/4" foot. Thanks for the tip on the blind hem foot, I'll check mine out on my other machine.

On my Bernina, I use #13, Straight Stitch foot with the quilting quide for an accurate 1/4" or even a scant 1/4" inch since the guide can be placed wherever you wish. But this Singer 301 is a whole new game for me as I'm brand new to vintage Singers and would love to quilt with them.

So for now, guess I'll stick with the seam guide. I ordered both the Singer and a universal one, and I have to say that I prefer the Singer one for a couple of reasons. The thumbscrew has a nice plastic fitting built in that snugs up against the bed of the machine and the seam guide part that sits on your 1/4" or whatever seems nicer. I think there might've been a dollar difference in the two, the Singer being slightly higher in price.

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated. :thumbup:
If you have the Alphasew foot I can't speak for it! I have a generic foot, not the Alphasew.

Yes I can't wait to get my seam guide. I'm not sure which one I got becasue they had 2 but were out of one of them. I also ordered a snap on foot adapter, but no snap on feet yet. There is a snap on hem guide that I just might purchase next and see if it works for me as well as my brother one does since it is adjustable.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I have a 301a that I recently received and need to change out the bottom rubber feet cushions and as well the bobbin winder tire, too. Any tutes or info available on how to do that?

I see there's a need for a straight screwdriver inside the rubber feet cushions, but mine aren't budging. Am I missing a step?

Thanks in advance,

Karla
Just make sure it is a good screw driver that fits the slot properly and it will come out. So many times folks use the wrong tool for the job. The bobbin tire will just roll off of the wheel and you put it on the same way it came off.

Billy
Hi Billy,

Thanks for the tip. With a better screwdriver, and finally using a pliers for extra torque, we got 'em. :thumbup: What was left of the very brittle feet just crumbled once we got the screwdriver underneath the bottom of the feet.

Thanks again,

Karla
Hey Karla - I had to change the feet on my 301, and after I got the screws out of the middle of the feet, I used a flat head screwdriver to literally pry the old hard rubber pieces out. They are just sitting in there, but probably stuck hard after all these years. Give them a good hard twist to loosen them, and then they should pop out, or you might have to break them up with the screwdriver and a hammer...I had to do that to one of mine. It was hard as a rock!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:24 AM

If you have the Alphasew foot I can't speak for it! I have a generic foot, not the Alphasew.

Yes I can't wait to get my seam guide. I'm not sure which one I got becasue they had 2 but were out of one of them. I also ordered a snap on foot adapter, but no snap on feet yet. There is a snap on hem guide that I just might purchase next and see if it works for me as well as my brother one does since it is adjustable.
I am talking about the Alphasew 1/4" foot w/guide, #P60617. Unfortunately, it wiggles, too. :(

I am going to order the snap on slant shank foot adapter today so I can use other snap on feet, too. I did learn tho, that this adapter is to be used with only the narrow Singer snap on feet. I take that to mean that I will not be able to use any of my non Singer snap on feet. Does anyone know if that is correct?

A snap on hem guide? What's the product # on that one, please?

Thanks,
Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by jljack

Hey Karla - I had to change the feet on my 301, and after I got the screws out of the middle of the feet, I used a flat head screwdriver to literally pry the old hard rubber pieces out. They are just sitting in there, but probably stuck hard after all these years. Give them a good hard twist to loosen them, and then they should pop out, or you might have to break them up with the screwdriver and a hammer...I had to do that to one of mine. It was hard as a rock!
Yep, that's exactly what I just went through. What was left of the rubber was either petrified or crumbled into fine dust. Thank goodness a few good pries with the big screwdriver took care of getting it all out. :thumbup: Thanks for the tip. :thumbup:
Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 AM

I am talking about the Alphasew 1/4" foot w/guide, #P60617. Unfortunately, it wiggles, too. :(

I am going to order the snap on slant shank foot adapter today so I can use other snap on feet, too. I did learn tho, that this adapter is to be used with only the narrow Singer snap on feet. I take that to mean that I will not be able to use any of my non Singer snap on feet. Does anyone know if that is correct?

A snap on hem guide? What's the product # on that one, please?

Thanks,
It is a narrow snap on blind hem guide. My Brother one is a little different than this but I hope this one may work the same way. Not real sure because this one has a little extra piece on that front part that comes down and lays to the left.
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/pd60-10402-S.php

I believe you are correct in assuming our regular snap on feet wont' work. Because they have a much wider "snap on" area. If you notice the blind hem foot only has a tiny, or 'narrow', bar to snap on at.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Mine is a generic foot that i bought from April30's (?). May have to invest in the alphasew foot, but they look 'almost' identical. I'm getting that screw in seam guide this week also, so it may prove to be what I want.
Julie, I started out buying the generic 1/4" feet too, but soon discovered they seemed to all be 'off.' I accidentally found the Alphasew P60615 1/4" and switched all my machines to that foot. They are more expensive feet, but I have only had one that was off so far -- and, I have bought about 10 of them as I like every machine to have its own stuff. Plus if you are going from a class machine to a home machine, I found it helps to keep things accurate if you use the same 1/4" on both machines.

Nancy

Thanks!

The ony 60615 I can find is a short shank. Is the 60617 the slant shank version or am I missing something?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 AM

I just saw this machine on eBay....I have looked and Googled and I can't find a reference to it. It says Free Westinghouse. Anyone know anything about this one?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-180851.jpe  
Old 04-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by squilter
Hi everyone, the serial number on my treadle is G9939810, can someone tell me something about it. I don't have it here to take a picture.
You have a Model 66 Singer, with 50,000 allotted on March 13, 1923.

Nancy
Old 04-07-2011, 10:19 AM

The ony 60615 I can find is a short shank. Is the 60617 the slant shank version or am I missing something?
Yes, the 60615 is the short shank, which my 15-88, my FW's, 99's, even the 99 clone I just got with the damaged case, my 28 HC, and a few other's use. I am not sure which Alphasew is the slant shant, but if you find out that the 60617 is the slant shank, I will get one of those too for my 503a, Rocketeer.

Nancy