Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-18-2011, 07:59 PM

The 301 and the FW do take the same bobbin.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
The 301 and the FW do take the same bobbin.
Yeah. Happy Dancing here!!! May have gotten another bobbin with the new Bernina. It looks different from the other 15 bobbins I received with the machine but does look like my FW bobbins.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 AM

Hello! I just recently purchased a 1948 Featherweight and I'm still trying to learn as much about her as I can. Just successfully sewed on her for the first time last night after oiling her up. I need to get some baby oil from the store so that I can give her a proper polish.

[img]http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1231039_n.jpg[/img]

I noticed that the thread guide near the tension discs seems to be missing. Is this a difficult replacement part to find/attach?

Also, is it normal for a small mechanical vibrating sound to come from the position finger beneath the feed dogs while sewing? I finally figured out where it was coming from. It's from the piece jostling back and forth while sewing is in progress and it doesn't look like something that can be changed, but I wanted to check.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Elsie Blight
l would also like some help if any one can tell me anything about this machine l just fell in love with it, it has my husbands star sign and a bullet shuttle
Wow never saw one like that before...
Old 04-19-2011, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
When I took a FMQ class, AnnieRose sewed perfectly, but I pulled the fabric too hard and clipped the needle plate so I changed the needle. She started breaking threads. The instructor said to try another needle. Annie was perfect again. The first and third needles were Singers, the middle one a Schmetz. I duplicated the results at home the next day because personally, I prefer the Schmetz and didn't really want to have to bother with two brands. AnnieRose hasn't been fussy about bobbins until this week. When a reproduction bobbin is in the tension will go screwy periodically. With my lone original bobbin, never. FMQ with one bobbin isn't any harder than with multiple bobbins unless you are changing colors. Somehow I don't think i willbe able to find any more original bobbins. I will look for a different repro. April1930s' are tiny bit thicker than the original.
They do make two diff bobbins for the 301. I just had my 301 serviced...just found her at a tag sale...she needed work and a bobbin case. the bobbin case he sold me was made in China and needs a slightly diff thickness bobbins which are more expensive .25 each...The bobbin case made in Japan he said uses anything. He had two diff types of bobbins.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
I cleaned my Spartan this morning, not a "Billy" clean, but just an oil and goop one. This one must never have been cleaned of lint in the 51 years of its life. Threaded it, wound a bobbin, and sewed. I'm not real sure on the tension as I need more practice with this part. My problem comes in with the stitch regulator. I can turn the knob and move it up and down and then turn the knob to set the stitch length. When I sew the vibration makes the knob move up and the stitch length gets shorter and shorter. A couple of the braces it sits on is chipped so it does not sit square in the base but I think this has nothing to do with the stitch regulator and the vibration of the machine. I really like this little machine and it is another one I will definitely sew on. So any help is appreciated. Think I will now go pick Blackberries. :lol:
Grandmother23, I bet your vibration has a lot to do with those chipped braces under that machine. I found a Spartan last spring with the same problem. My DH made new little braces for the inside of that little case to give my machine something level and solid to sit on. It sewed perfect after that.

Nancy
Old 04-19-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
This Capri is the one I was going to convert to a felting machine, but my 9yo DGD has fallen in love with it and asked me to teach her to sew.....how can you refuse? She didn't ask for the machine but I could see she likes it, possibly because it's smaller than all my other machines, who knows?
You know that is a great idea! I have looked at the felting machines, but didn't want to buy new machine. Wouldn't it be cool if we could convert a treadle to our felting machine -- just make one of our treadles a specialized one?

Nancy
Old 04-19-2011, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Sorry this is late but it was an estate auction. Apparently one or both of the couple collected sewing machines.
I came home with two machines. One was a 301 which runs so sweet, she sings. However, no attachments or manual. Her name is Rebecca (name of one of Betsy Ross' sisters which is what I named my FW.) The other machine was the green Bernina, model 117L, a zigzag model. S/He sews sweetly as well. This one came with a amnual (YEAH!!) plus a Bernina tin of attachments (feet) plus 15 bobbins. There is also a suspect bobbin cover and bobbin with the machine. I also probably have the tip to a Bernina oil can but not the can and a brush that originally came with the machine. In the attachments are a couple of unidentified feet plus a couple of other weird do-hickeys. One of the unidentified feet has two rollers on it, like rolling pin rollers, and have no clue as to their purpose.
Yeah, you got just what I would have gone after - the 301 and the green Bernina! Congratulations!

Nancy
Old 04-19-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Ok so my husband finally got the foot pedal rewired for "my" Singer 15-91 (on long-term loan from a friend). I got bobbins, I got a re-print of the manual. Only thing I forgot to check on was the needles. I want to give her a spin this evening, but need to stop at the fabric store on my lunch break to buy needles. Does anyone know what kind? Do they have to be Singer, or can they be Smetz (sp)? TIA :)
Quiltncowgirl, great set up! I love it when someone's sewing room has that much space! I don't as half my room is taken up with a long arm!

Nancy
Old 04-19-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Elsie Blight
This is the machine l got given on saturday morning it is a Wertheim no on base 643518 it does say made in Germany but l was told it is the wrong shape for a real Wertheim could you help me with this please
Elsie, that looks like a 99 clone - is it a 3/4 size machine? Love the foot pedal - that is what the foot pedal on my new Wilcox and Gibbs looks like!

The second machine is really cool looking! Is that a buffalo or a bull? Wow!

Nancy