Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-27-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
Ok, Ya'll have to tell me I didn't do a dumb thing. I bought a storage unit with sewing machines and parts in it. So far I've brought home 12 machnes. All need attention of some kind. Even one hand crank, 2 redeyes and some MW and an Elna. There's alot of plastic ones that may or may not be worth saving. But the really cool thing is the parts. This person was planning to open a repair shop, but died before he could do it. I just hope I haven't bitten off too big a bite.
I'da done it!! :)
Old 10-27-2011, 01:23 PM

Ok, Ya'll have to tell me I didn't do a dumb thing. I bought a storage unit with sewing machines and parts in it. So far I've brought home 12 machnes. All need attention of some kind. Even one hand crank, 2 redeyes and some MW and an Elna. There's alot of plastic ones that may or may not be worth saving. But the really cool thing is the parts. This person was planning to open a repair shop, but died before he could do it. I just hope I haven't bitten off too big a bite.

Wow, sounds exciting! A treasure hunt!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by redmadder
Does anyone have a RUBY? It appears to have been made by White, turns backwards, has a four drawer cabinet, the feet are the same as the White FR. There is no serial number I can find.
It appears to have suffered some damage to the mechanism that lets you put the machine in cabinet and close the lid.
BUT I have extra plates, shuttles and 9 bobbins plus all the attachments and they look just like the box of White.
Someone put her away carefully, had an oiled piece of 1930s feedsack oiled and the needle turned down into it.
RM, there is a local sew shop that has a electrified Ruby Treadle for sale on craigslist. A year ago they tried selling it for $250, then $200, now it's listed at (I think), $189. And I just noticed that it's now in a case, not in the treadle cabinet. It could be that this is another machine, or that the sewshop sold the beautiful ornate cabinet out from under it.

Here's what the ad states: "In 1893 New Home commenced manufacture of the Climax which replaced the "Favorite". Then they manufactured the "Ruby" which was a smaller machine but with the same operating principles as the climax. Then came the "Rotary" and the "Little Worker"."

Here's a picture of this Ruby, I just snagged it off craigslist...
Is your's anything like this one?

Ruby in Case
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278009[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-277956.jpe  
Old 10-27-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Ok, Ya'll have to tell me I didn't do a dumb thing. I bought a storage unit with sewing machines and parts in it. So far I've brought home 12 machnes....
Oh yeah! I look more for parts and bits these days. I did a count today and shocked myself. Including the two 'new' machines - I've got 15 machines. I know, some of you all have 100's. But I wish I could run across a whole storage unit of machines and parts!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:20 PM

Thank you Wendt. That is my machine. This one is in a somewhat ornate cabinet but the finish on the machine is crumbling off the bed. The decals on the upper part are intact but it will take a lot of work to get her cleaned up. All her parts work just fine. So it is New Home and not White. Thank you.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
me too
Old 10-27-2011, 02:33 PM

Thank you Wendt. That is my machine. This one is in a somewhat ornate cabinet but the finish on the machine is crumbling off the bed. The decals on the upper part are intact but it will take a lot of work to get her cleaned up. All her parts work just fine. So it is New Home and not White. Thank you.
redmadder, you are so welcome. I was so surprised, since I don't think I'd ever heard of Ruby other than remembering seeing that craigslist ad posted by the local sew shop. I wonder if there are any other Ruby-ists on here?

Hey now, One thing I'm really looking for... is a Canadian RAYMOND Treadle, that has the Beaver irons. Anyone have one? Any of our VSMS folks in Maine, NH, Canada... if you ever find one. PM me!!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
redmadder, you are so welcome. I was so surprised, since I don't think I'd ever heard of Ruby other than remembering seeing that craigslist ad posted by the local sew shop. I wonder if there are any other Ruby-ists on here?

Hey now, One thing I'm really looking for... is a Canadian RAYMOND Treadle, that has the Beaver irons. Anyone have one? Any of our VSMS folks in Maine, NH, Canada... if you ever find one. PM me!!!!
I have a Ruby, but haven't used her yet. She was another junk heap find, but looking good now. I was told she was probably a Davis made machine.

Texas Jan

Texas Jan
Attached Thumbnails attachment-277979.jpe   attachment-277980.jpe  
Old 10-27-2011, 02:54 PM

Sorry, double post.

Texas Jan
Old 10-27-2011, 02:56 PM

Jan, you did a GREAT job of saving that old girl! She's beautiful! :)