Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-16-2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Hi Nancy,
Did they reply back? The listing is so outrageous it seems like a joke. The freight is worth more than the machine.
Jon
Yes, he did reply back! Look at the listing now! Now I know he already knew what he had because I told him that was a Tiffany decal, very silvered and in bad shape. He has it listed with the Tiffany/Gingerbread decal now! I never mentioned the Gingerbread part, which means he did some research or he already knew that was not a 'one of a kind machine and decal." Anyway, it went from $1350 to $170 because of my E-mail! My good deed for the day! It won't sell for $170, but at least he is not frauding someone by telling them it was an 1800 machine and a rare one of a kind! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Nancy
Old 01-16-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
BoJangles- I didn't know there are repro treadles! I was surprised when I saw an ad on Craigslist for a repro Featherweight recently. Apparently they are sold on AllBrands.com!
Yes, there are reproduction treadles, but there really isn't a reproduction Featherweight that 'looks' like a featherweight. The repro treadles were made to look like a clone of an original treadle, but they are made in China (I think) so the decals are a little gaudy/over the top looking. They are pretty easy to spot; and, they are not made with the workmanship/quality of the original. The repro featherweight is actually a little white plastic modern machine that Singer calls the Featherweight, but it looks nothing like the original nor is it the quality of the original featherweight.

Nancy
Old 01-16-2012, 04:34 PM

This is a pretty cool looking machine with - what looks like - a drop down table extension like a FW or 301.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/hsh/2803380391.html

Nancy
Old 01-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by beaniekins View Post
I know this was pages back, but I've finally caught up. This is a Singer 338, and a great machine, all metal. I have one that was given to me with the manual and all the cams, and it make a fabulous stitch. Mine also came with a home built cabinet so I have no idea if that cabinet was meant to come with it or not. It's a great machine!
Thank you Beaniekins! I like the blue and the looks of this machine, but I don't need to be buying any more sewing machines! It is so hard to resist these, though, they are just such nice machines!

Nancy
Old 01-16-2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Yes, there are reproduction treadles, but there really isn't a reproduction Featherweight that 'looks' like a featherweight. The repro treadles were made to look like a clone of an original treadle, but they are made in China (I think) so the decals are a little gaudy/over the top looking. They are pretty easy to spot; and, they are not made with the workmanship/quality of the original. The repro featherweight is actually a little white plastic modern machine that Singer calls the Featherweight, but it looks nothing like the original nor is it the quality of the original featherweight.

Nancy
Nancy,

The repro featherweight looks just like a Singer black Featherweight. They are branded AlphaSew. Go to http://www.allbrands.com and search for featherweight. It has been many years since I worked on one of these repros. I not sure I remember correctly, but I think it has a class 15 hook and bobbin arrangement. Sews OK, but for $499.00 , I'll take an original any day.

Cathy
Old 01-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Nancy,

The repro featherweight looks just like a Singer black Featherweight. They are branded AlphaSew. Go to http://www.allbrands.com and search for featherweight. It has been many years since I worked on one of these repros. I not sure I remember correctly, but I think it has a class 15 hook and bobbin arrangement. Sews OK, but for $499.00 , I'll take an original any day.

Cathy
Cathy....I have a little white plastic Featherweight! I picked it up at Goodwill just because it said Featherweight. I'll bet it's less than 5 years old unless the previous owner took really good care of it. I just wanted my granddaughter to have one to learn on, before she gets the real Featherweight! You are right in the fact it looks nothing like my real one, so maybe a reproduction isn't the right word for it, but I'm keeping it! LOL!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
Cathy....I have a little white plastic Featherweight! I picked it up at Goodwill just because it said Featherweight. I'll bet it's less than 5 years old unless the previous owner took really good care of it. I just wanted my granddaughter to have one to learn on, before she gets the real Featherweight! You are right in the fact it looks nothing like my real one, so maybe a reproduction isn't the right word for it, but I'm keeping it! LOL!
Ok this is confusing. I have only seen the little white plastic machines Randa is talking about that say 'featherweight,' but just look like a modern plastic cheaply made machine. I didn't know there is an actual repro of the black featherweight!

Of course Cathy would know! Cathy I went to the link, but I didn't find the repro featherweight. I will go again when I have more time and look! I am curious!

Nancy
Old 01-16-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Ok this is confusing. I have only seen the little white plastic machines Randa is talking about that say 'featherweight,' but just look like a modern plastic cheaply made machine. I didn't know there is an actual repro of the black featherweight!

Of course Cathy would know! Cathy I went to the link, but I didn't find the repro featherweight. I will go again when I have more time and look! I am curious!

Nancy
Geeze, what a dummy I am! Of course I remember these little repro's! Our local sewing repair guy has one in his shop! I had forgotten about them! They are not called a FW, but they look just like the original FW's! Thank you Cathy for reminding me about these little machines! And, I agree, I will stick to the real thing thank you!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:17 PM

Boat shuttle for a Davis HAVF1!!! Hard to find, and at a reasonable price. Better grab it!! I would, but I already have 2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Davis-Sewing...item4ab2f8a902
Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks Janice!