Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-20-2011, 08:00 AM

yours is not just an only child syndrome. I'm the second youngest of eight children and I love, love, love time by myself (I don't mind my DH). I don't like crowds at all.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 AM

After 40 yrs of marriage and both of us retired, when I pointed out that I needed one tool to do a job and he had 3 of each tool he uses; I told him my "tool" only cost about $5000. My Voyager 17 and Hinterberg Stretch Frame quilter set-up.....He just grinned and said he guessed I needed it. Wish all DHs could be like mine! (of course I paid to have 12 quilts machine quilted the winter before this.)
Old 01-20-2011, 08:16 AM

To the OP. I think your husband has issues. :) I feel for you.

I don't look at watching tv as "quality time" together. That would be playing games or actually interacting--not just sitting near each other, eyes glued to the set.

It does sound like he's a bit insecure and jealous of your time. I wish he could have his own profitable hobby. I've never heard of anyone who on his deathbed said, "Wow, I wish I had spent more time watching tv."

I agree, that for most of us here on the QB, we have made a decision to watch less (or no) tv and spend more time quilting or sewing. It's a choice. TV has little value except as entertainment. How much "entertainment" does one need in a day?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee
My husband watches TV. He plays golf when he can, even in the winter. The rule being if you can hold the club without freezing your hand then you can play, and if the snow is off the greens. He does not understand my crafting, but has always been supportive. He does not like the money I spend on fabric, but after he sees it become something he stops grumbling. I would very much like to see him get a hobby, but I'm not having much luck with that. I really think the big obstacle is that my sewing takes me away from time with him, but no matter how much you love someone you cannot spend every waking moment with them. It isn't good for either of us. Now that we are retired we are together almost 24 7. I don't know what to do, but I'm not giving up quilting.
I truly know that I am blessed with my good marriage. We have been married almost 27 yrs. and 26 of those years we've been together 24/7/365. Not everyone can do that without "killing" one another :lol: We are both quiet people and never feel we are competing with each other. I feel he has helped me grow as a person and I've done the same for him. You can believe this or not, but we have never had a "fight" in all the years we've been married......it's not to say that I never get angry at him or vice versa which quickly passes. My DH can never do enough for me and I equally take care of him. You know, sometimes it's the small things that can matter most...a smile to one another. Sorry, I've been a real Chatty Cathy on this subject as this is dear to my heart. I've not been blessed with children :( but I was blessed with my DH :D
Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 AM

Thoughts are with you. My husband has always known sewing was a part of me. Married 41 years now. He bought me a used sewing machine right after we were married. I make sure to fix a nice dinner and when he's watching tv in the evening I put my sewing table and chair right in front of the couch with my ottlite. I show him my projects when they are done. He doesn't say anything, but he knows I am completing my projects. I think he would like my space to be more organized, but so would I and I'm working on it. You got to like you first. Through tough times my sewing has helped my insanity.
Diane/Wyoming
Old 01-20-2011, 08:43 AM

Eeeeew! If my hubby ever treated me like yours treats you it would hit the fan around here so *** fast. My hubby has always been supportive of my hobbies which are sewing garments and quilting, crafts, reading and writing and astronomy. He has his hobbies; I admire his woodwork (he built our log house, being a weekend auto mechanic and he loves fishing. My suggestion: leave murder mysteries laying around the house and when he asks, just smile and say "You have nothing to worry about." and pat his hand and smile sweetly but with a steely look in your eyes.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 AM

I'm another of the lucky ones. I've always sewn, crocheted, knitted, cross-stitched, etc. etc. Can't sit still with idle hands. My DH can sit still staring into space (drives me nuts, but you can almost see the gears moving in his head!). He has played the same solitaire game for YEARS! But he also loves yardwork, home improvement projects and woodworking.

Although fabric shopping with me or offering advice or opinions would never occur to him, he supports me in other ways. He has never complained or criticized what I do. I gave him plans to build a machine quilt frame and 10 minutes later, he was off to the hardware store. He's also purchased the last two sewing machines for me, a Bernina 430 and a Janome 1600 (for the quilt frame. By the same token, I've never complained when he brings home another "boy toy." We now have 3 table saws in the garage. "But honey, they all do different things!" After 30 years together, I just grin and agree.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by j
Over my life time I have met many husband and wifes's like this. I married a second time and my husband one day when I was folding clothes, asked me to fold his underwear a certain way, So I did it perfectly then I took my hands and jumbled it all up, And told him that was the last time I would ever do that and he could put it away. Now I fold it to make it neat (to move it) but I never put it away he does. We have now been married 18 years. Sometimes wives in their first marriages cater to them to much and they are like puppies and take every advantage they can. - J
That's too funny...but very profound :thumbup:
Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 AM

So sorry that quilting is putting a kink in the works. I am sure that he just wants to spend more time with you.

My husband is ok with me sewing but still gets a little jealous that I am not spending time with him. So I wait until he has some kind of paperwork or bills to write or errands to run and then I do my sewing. Makes of both feel better.

Good luck and keep sewing/quilting.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 AM

sounds like he is a bit selfish..my husband is ill and so the only thing he does is watch tv which he enjoys..he supports my hobby and shows quite an interest..tells me to buy whatever i want within means..his only vice..he cannot stand waste..i once put a bag of fabric to donate in my car and he had a hissy fit..said spend all that money to just give it away..well...but i cant complain....in defense of all husbands...some women really do spend tooo much money..and leave their husbands alone hours on end..maybe even every day..how would you feel if the shoe was on the other foot?...hang in there girl