Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Am I wrong..border or sashing >
  • Am I wrong..border or sashing

• Am I wrong..border or sashing

Old 01-22-2011, 06:32 AM

I went to the LQS yesterday for border fabric for a quilt I am making for my DH. I used CW fat quarters for the quilt. I was having a hard time finding something matching without a floral pattern. The clerk came up and I told her what I was looking for. She asked if I was putting it between the blocks and I so no, just a border, not sashings. She looked at me and said (in a tone that said how stupid are you?), "Are you putting the border between the blocks or not?". Just then I saw what I needed and just said, I will take 2 yards of this. So, my question is am I wrong?
    Old 01-22-2011, 06:33 AM

Nope, you aren't wrong. Sashing is between the blocks and border is around the quilt. She must have been new......
    Old 01-22-2011, 06:36 AM

That is what I thought, but she was sooooo insistant. I thought maybe some people called it that.
    Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 AM

What happened to "the customer is always right"? She should not have made you feel like you were wrong--you wern't--even if you were. She needs a dictonary of quilting terms.
    Sue
    Old 01-22-2011, 06:42 AM

I have never heard it called a border, just sashing and I have lived in several areas around the country. I might mention this to store owner. This girl might need some quilting ed.
    Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingaz
    I have never heard it called a border, just sashing and I have lived in several areas around the country. I might mention this to store owner. This girl might need some quilting ed.
    She needs a session with Miss Manners too.

Customer service is just not what it used to be in a lot of stores. My current pet peeve - when the clerk hands me the wrong thing and I politely correct them. Then they say "you said such-and-such". I know what I said and why would I ask for something I didn't want? Why not say "sorry, I misheard you"? Makes me mad everytime.
    Old 01-22-2011, 07:28 AM

lol You are correct.

However, it shouldn't matter if you wanted to use it for a rug in your bathroom. You can buy fabric for whatever purpose you want. :)

Maybe she was having an off-day.
    Old 01-22-2011, 07:31 AM

Just think if it was you & had never sewn in your life!! BUT GOT A JOB(much needed)doing something way out of your safety zone??? Lots of stores are hiring people w/no experience. Take the time to help them don't lose your patience. Not saying this clerk didn't need a 101 customer service class.
    Old 01-22-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by bodie358
    Customer service is just not what it used to be in a lot of stores. My current pet peeve - when the clerk hands me the wrong thing and I politely correct them. Then they say "you said such-and-such". I know what I said and why would I ask for something I didn't want? Why not say "sorry, I misheard you"? Makes me mad everytime.
    Remember that it takes two people to create miscommunication and the other person's lack of manners doesn't mean I have to show a lack of manners as well. A good, non=threatening response to this might be "If I said xxx I misspoke, I intended to say "yyyy". You're not admitting to saying the wrong thing, and you are clearly stating what you do want...again.
    Old 01-22-2011, 08:05 AM

I was very nice and took the rest of the $100 in Christmas money home with me. :)