Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: National 2 Spool Treadle Sewing Machine

National 2 Spool Treadle Sewing Machine

Hello everyone! I hope I am posting in the right place. About 6 years ago, my mother-in-law gave me a National 2 Spool Treadle when she moved. She said it had been in her family for ages but didn't have the room. I am an avid seamstress and she thought I might like it. However, I have never really been into older machines (not for any good reason, just sew for my kiddos and have no use for it) and do not find the style of the cabinet my taste. Long story short, I have used it as a decorative piece of furniture in my home. I finally decided I don't have the room for it and was going to sell it. My problem is that there is hardly any information on them as far as what a fair asking price would be. I found a few pictures and it appears that the cabinet is original to the machine (not sure if they are even interchangeable to other cabinets???) and not sure if I should sell it as a set locally or take out the machine and put it on Ebay? Any help would be amazing!!! I can take pictures if it helps too. I am thinking she said it works but I have no idea what I would even do to see! As far as I can tell, the only thing that appears missing is the footplate and rod that connects it. I might have the attachments (they got separated from the machine...) but no manual. Please help anyone!

Sorry, I can't help you with a price. Most of the treadle I see on Ebay are listed as local pickup only. They are heavy and large, it is expensive to ship. Finding the attachments would be a plus. Yes, posting pictures would help.

Does it have the spool can with it? If not, then the machine is basically decorative. The cans are very expensive and hard to replace and typically worth more than the machine, from what I understand.

Have you checked with your mother-in-law yet. She might not want it to be sold off. Maybe she would want it back, or maybe she would like to keep it in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Novice View Post
    Have you checked with your mother-in-law yet. She might not want it to be sold off. Maybe she would want it back, or maybe she would like to keep it in the family.
    I thought that too so I asked her....she said to do whatever I want with it and she doesn't want it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Does it have the spool can with it? If not, then the machine is basically decorative. The cans are very expensive and hard to replace and typically worth more than the machine, from what I understand.
    It does have the spool can (the metal casing underneath is what you are talking about????). I just took a few pictures so will load those in a few.

I added pictures but they are waiting to be approved.

Quote Originally Posted by burgett View Post
    I added pictures but they are waiting to be approved.
    "approved"??? I have never had to have a pic approved.... hmmm

maybe since she's a new member...though I know for one I would love to see this machine. A two spool is on my now very very short want list. Just about everything else has been crossed off )

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    "approved"??? I have never had to have a pic approved.... hmmm
    It gave me a message saying it had to be approved by moderation. I will try to repost them...

I just put more pictures....it gave me the same message. That my pictures will not be posted until approved by moderation. SO...here is the link to the Photobucket album to see them. http://s486.photobucket.com/user/Bur...pool%20Treadle

ahh she's in nice shape! Good grief do I wish I lived closer to you. I'd have that in a heart beat!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    ahh she's in nice shape! Good grief do I wish I lived closer to you. I'd have that in a heart beat!
    Me too! I don't think they are easy to come with all the parts. Always wanted one.

Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
    Me too! I don't think they are easy to come with all the parts. Always wanted one.
    Me three! That for sure is a machine I would like.

I see one on craigslist for 150 which appears to be missing the throat plate/slide cover at a minimum, and one in an antique shop for 295, this one has the spool can. However, no one has bought either yet at these prices.

I wrote about one of these last week. I live toooooo far away too or I would want it too.

Darnit! I wish you ladies all lived in Oregon...it would make getting rid of it so much easier! I guess I will just put it on Ebay and see where it goes...would it devalue the machine if I took it apart from the actual cabinet? I am thinking it would attract more buyers since I would be able to ship just the machine via Fedex. However, if it is more special to have the original cabinet...I really don't want to separate it! Or if the machine wouldn't fit in just any cabinet???

I don't see how the cabinet could be original to the machine since the machine has a motor and that cabinet appears to be a treadle cabinet. I do not think that would easily fit into most other cabinets.

I'm sorry we are so far apart, because I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Even though it needs cleaning and servicing, the decals are good. I've wanted one for years. You are so lucky to have it.

I should add that I probably wouldn't ship it. That machine is most likely an antique and it would take a masterful packing job to get it to its destination undamaged. It is probably fragile. The cabinet also deserves a lot of respectful packing.

Why don't you find the nearest quilt guild and see if anyone wants it? (Sob!) If there was any way I could buy it, I would. I would think $200 would be the most you could get from a motivated buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
    I should add that I probably wouldn't ship it. That machine is most likely an antique and it would take a masterful packing job to get it to its destination undamaged. It is probably fragile. The cabinet also deserves a lot of respectful packing.

Why don't you find the nearest quilt guild and see if anyone wants it? (Sob!) If there was any way I could buy it, I would. I would think $200 would be the most you could get from a motivated buyer.

I saw an old newspaper ad online for this machine and it had the same cabinet. I also saw a few other pictures that had this machine in the same cabinet on a google search...I just assumed it must be original. I know absolutely nothing about antique machines...lol. As far as the motor goes...do they normally not have a motor? I wonder, if it is not operated by the treadle, I could just plug it in right now and see if it works? Or is that not something I should do until it was cleaned?

Good to know on the shipping end. That would scare me to ship it to someone and not have it arrive in perfect condition! I would definitely go to a quilt guild but live 3 hours away from any city large enough to have one. I live in Eastern Oregon...extremely rural with not a lot around.

Blog Entries
    Where in Eastern Oregon are you? I'm in Redmond....sent you a PM.
    Last edited by Charlee; 05-30-2013 at 06:32 AM.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

hold on girl! ,if you could find out what it would take to ship it to so cal, i am interested,but want the whole thing,. everybody on ebay ships these,so must be a way!

It's a very old thread. That machine is most likely long gone.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual