Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Lostn51 03-26-2011 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
I am so excited. Found a fabulous little machine at an estate sale today and it really purrs. Only $30! It's a Taylor Professional Model 834. If anyone knows where I can find a manual I would be grateful.

That little rascal has a ton of stitches I will say that!! And $30 was a good deal!

Billy

Glenn 03-26-2011 04:41 PM

Billy your HC work out great on my old redeye. The decals are almost gone on the thing but she sews great. I just could not part her out for parts and now I am glad I didn't. Glenn

luce321 03-26-2011 04:43 PM

Charlee, you referred to a machine as "if its potted". Can you please tell me what that means. Thanks, Lucy

Lostn51 03-26-2011 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Here are the adjustments I have tried changing at different intervals. .:

1.The position and amount of pressure on the
presser bar and foot, (using the knob on top, and the
little screw inside that puts tension on the bar)

2. How tight the presser foot lifter is.

3. The stitch regulator knob, which doen't seem to change
the stitch much for the amount of space it screws in and
out.

Do I just need to continue fidgeting with it until I get her to make that tiny little stitch and be happy with that? What is the LONGEST feasible stitch I should expect from her? What other things could I try? Oh, also the belt is not on her, I am just hand wheeling her. . . could THAT be a contributor to the problem? (Though if she was a handcrank would that matter?)

Thanx in advance, I know there's a lot of knowledge out there. Brenda

Brenda the 66 is the machine I know like the back of my hand and after reading this I would ask if you could take the rear inspection plate off (the round one in back) and look where the stitch regulator screw is and what it operates. There is a square piece that rides in a slide that should be oiled really well. Then make sure the little pin is oiled where the screw tapers down to the regulator.

Just inspect this area really well and oil the area really good and that might help you out.

Billy

Lostn51 03-26-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by luce321
Charlee, you referred to a machine as "if its potted". Can you please tell me what that means. Thanks, Lucy

Potted motors look like someone stuck a pot on the back of the machine covering the motor. It is attached to the shaft and is the first gear driven motor that Singer offered. You find them on the 15-91 and the 201-2's.

Billy

Lostn51 03-26-2011 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Billy your HC work out great on my old redeye. The decals are almost gone on the thing but she sews great. I just could not part her out for parts and now I am glad I didn't. Glenn

Glenn I am glad to hear you like it so! And dont worry I am like you and I can not let a machine go to the parts farm. To me they are all buildable.

Billy

Glenn 03-26-2011 04:55 PM

This is one of the reasons I have so many machines :lol: Glenn

Kitzone 03-26-2011 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Thought I'd share another project.... 1873 Singer Mother of Pearl - Handcrank. I need some patience or she's going to see Uncle Billy in Bikini Bottom :)

Judy

OH please send her to Uncle Billy!! I just want to love her............

Billy<<<<Who has a super soft spot for MOP 12's

You're such a softie. lol. I'm really considering it. I could send her to you and pick her up when we have our VSMS Retreat. Hmmm....what do you think?

BoJangles 03-26-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
chergram, on a limited income, you might be find a 301 more easily than a FW. My $60 301A was easier to purchase than a $250+ FW. The FWs are cute and fun to have, but there are working vintage macines better priced. My 1952 Singer 128 was $35. FW owners, I mean your adorable little workhorses no disrespect, they just are not in my budget.

Bojangles, is the Boye 20X1 a hard needle to find? Is it still in production? I told you I don't know anything. Thank you for all your help. Judy

I went to the site you gave. It looks like it's not an easy needle to find.

No the Boye #4 is no longer in production. You can find them on e-bay, but they are pricey. The 20 x 1, I think, you can get if you buy in bulk - not sure, though, if they are actually in production still.

Nancy

BoJangles 03-26-2011 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
As far as Featherweights go I have yet to give over $100 for one. In fact the last 3 that I bought to keep in my collection (never happened) was bought for less than $30 each. So the cheap deals are out there, but I would opt for a 301 while they are affordable. I have been watching the prices of those jump and they look to be passing the FW soon.

Billy

Billy I want you to find me a FW for $30! I have never seen one for under $250, anywhere around here!

Nancy