Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-03-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I had no problem getting into Needlebar just now (had to try it after reading here that people were not getting through). I was asked to login with my login name and password, but it went straight through.

Could it be that people here have forgotten what they logged in with originally?
Lacelady, that is the whole point. It use to be that anyone could go to a Needlebar site to see something without having a password. I have never been a member, but I could go to Needlebar and view any information I wanted -- I have lots of things in Needlebar marked in my favorites so I could go directly to that information, all of a sudden I need to be a registered member. It appears that Needlebar has closed to open viewing -- you have to be a member to get in.
Nancy
Old 03-03-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by JaKnits
Thanks for replying so quickly! The seller only wants $35.00 for it so I am picking it up this afternoon and then will post photos. I have always wanted a treadle, so I can't wait to go get it!! :-D
For $35, I'd sure pick it up. You can learn a lot fixing these much abused cabinets and machines.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I just contacted a woman about an old Singer. She said it was from the 50's. She changed it to a Westinghouse5 and than to a New Home type s. I have never heard of a Westinghouse sewing machine. I am sure they were not New Home, unless New Home was not a name but a model. Any feed back? Kathie
Kathie, I have been checking and it looks like New Home and Westinghouse were synonymous with sewing machines. The New Home feet/manual also work for the Westinghouse - so I am wondering if the Westinghouse sewing machine is a badged New Home? New Home sold out to Brother sometime early/mid 1900's. Anyway, Westinghouse is a sewing machine somehow related to the New Home so this lady is partially right, but not a Singer for sure. Singer never badged machines.

Nancy
Old 03-03-2011, 11:02 AM

Nancy,

You are so great at helping me through this learning process. That has been my dream machine to find. . . since I met you folks and realized it may be possible to still find these old girls. My heart aches to find one . . . and now that I know it is possible. . . I am filled with hope!! If I never get another antique machine but can find her, I will be most happy!!! I will beg, borrow, but not steal to get her.

Thank you so much again for your time to help! Brenda
Old 03-03-2011, 11:35 AM

I got her!! My borrowed Singer 15-91!!! She is beeeauuuuutiful! In very good condition with a pretty Queen Anne cabinet. Picked her up from my friend yesterday. Haven't had time yet to get her situated in the sewing room so she is still sitting in my entryway. Just had to plug her in and take a few stitches though! lol. Can't wait til this weekend when I can get her all set up. She will be my FMQ go-to machine. Once I learn to FMQ that is lol. I'll post pictures of her this weekend, along with my other 2 "old girls".
Old 03-03-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I got her!! My borrowed Singer 15-91!!! She is beeeauuuuutiful! In very good condition with a pretty Queen Anne cabinet. Picked her up from my friend yesterday. Haven't had time yet to get her situated in the sewing room so she is still sitting in my entryway. Just had to plug her in and take a few stitches though! lol. Can't wait til this weekend when I can get her all set up. She will be my FMQ go-to machine. Once I learn to FMQ that is lol. I'll post pictures of her this weekend, along with my other 2 "old girls".
Congrats! Your will love this machine for FMQ.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Nancy,

You are so great at helping me through this learning process. That has been my dream machine to find. . . since I met you folks and realized it may be possible to still find these old girls. My heart aches to find one . . . and now that I know it is possible. . . I am filled with hope!! If I never get another antique machine but can find her, I will be most happy!!! I will beg, borrow, but not steal to get her.

Thank you so much again for your time to help! Brenda
Isn't Nancy wonderful. She always goes that extra mile for us. She is definitely a keeper. I am so lucky as I get to sew with her once a month. Kathie
Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
I got my 301a long bed black machine in a case tonight. The case is very very musty (banned from inside the house temporarily) but in great shape otherwise. No manual or acc., but I do have some extra acc. that can be dug up. Now to find an original manual. Will post pics tomorrow.
Here is Erma! The case is out sunning and Erma has had her beauty treatment and moisturizing bath. Anyone have an original manual?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-122576.jpe   attachment-122577.jpe   attachment-122578.jpe  
Old 03-03-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by olebat
Have any of you had a chance to review the fiddle base I put on page 739? http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-739.htm

This is what I think I have: Domestic, #3, Vibrating Shuttle, Fiddle base treadle machine.

In addition to any information, I am in search of a date. The number stamped under the (missing) shuttle slide is 88703. According to the manual I located and downloaded, it is really a quilters’ dream, for it will do free motion and embroidery. WOW! Of course, none of this will be possible until I locate a shuttle, attachments, and some sharp needles. Currently, everything seems to move nicely. It needs a cursory cleaning, and little more than routine oiling, and ATTACHMENTS. The belt needs to be tightened, but does not appear to be too brittle.

I'm all ears and eyes hoping someone here in the Vintage Shoppe can enlighten me with a dating link. (Preliminary research indicates about 1875) I’m also looking for resource which carries vintage parts. This beastie has consumed a lot of my time and energy this week, with only a few positive results.

I have a bunch of what I consider old machines in my collection, but I'm beginning to more and more appreciate these vintage machines. My husband reminds me that our house isn't big enough to take on another hobby. I just laugh and remind him that this is not another hobby, just an extension of the quilting.

Anyway . . . the machine?
This particular model of Domestic was produced between the late 1870s to the early 90s. I have a few shuttles here, but as I don't have a Domestic, I don't know what the size and shape should be. Do you know the needle size? My needle book has gone walkabout.
OK, I asked a friend who has some old Domestics, and she said the modern needle number that might fit this machine is 16x99. She bought the needles, but has not tried it out as of yet. This is what she told me:

Now understand I've not tried it myself. But on needlebar Chrys Gunther said that all measurements were almost exactly correct. Only diff is that it is missing the high part of the notch. Since without a notch it will only fit so far up anyway it should work just fine. Sounded good enuf to convince me.

Hope it works for you!!
Old 03-03-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Lacelady
I had no problem getting into Needlebar just now (had to try it after reading here that people were not getting through). I was asked to login with my login name and password, but it went straight through.

Could it be that people here have forgotten what they logged in with originally?
Lacelady, that is the whole point. It use to be that anyone could go to a Needlebar site to see something without having a password. I have never been a member, but I could go to Needlebar and view any information I wanted -- I have lots of things in Needlebar marked in my favorites so I could go directly to that information, all of a sudden I need to be a registered member. It appears that Needlebar has closed to open viewing -- you have to be a member to get in.
Nancy
I'm NOT a member of NB, but I was able to get to the photo section of the machines. I was researching Majestic sewing machines and using google images to find a match. In my searching, I found my way onto NB site on the photos of National machines, the Vindex.

This was very helpful since I was able to learn about the Vindex and the machine I was researching. I discovered that the Majestic is a badge machine. If the site had been closed, like it is now, I would not have learned this bit of information.