Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-19-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts

The bobbin is inserted and drawn through right. It just gets stuck not always but enough to make it a pain.
I will probably have to dissect it someday and figure it out.
Maybe I will take a pic and diagram it to show you. I am horrible at explaining
Possibly rust, lint, or dirt/oil between tension spring and bobbin case?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Is the Singer 503 any as good as the Singer 500A or 500?

It comes with a box of a few cams and other stuff and looks OK not super. Ever since Billy mentioned he liked the 500A I have been keeping my eyes open and now there is one within reasonable driving distance.

Do I want the Singer 503 or do I want to hold on for a Singer 500 or 500A? Any thoughts are appreciated.
To me the 500A will compete with any machine that is on the market today and give it a good run for its money. And it was made in 1962. I love mine although I have not used it that much seeing that its a electrical <gulp> machine.

But the 503 is a great machine also but is lacking all of the bells and whistles.

Billy
Old 08-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Well Guys and Gals, I am doing a happy dance tonight. DH and I just won this on E bay. Can't wait to get her home. Will call her Diana. Suppose to be the same size as the FW. I think she sure is pretty. Going to put her in an orphan cabinet. Here's a few pic.
OH this machine is so neat it actually comes in halves!! I think Cinderella made the machine but that could have well been a badged name also.

You will love the machine and I have been looking for one for the last couple of years!

Billy
Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Well Guys and Gals, I am doing a happy dance tonight. DH and I just won this on E bay. Can't wait to get her home. Will call her Diana. Suppose to be the same size as the FW. I think she sure is pretty. Going to put her in an orphan cabinet. Here's a few pic.
That is the cutest little machine ever!

Nancy
Old 08-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
Originally Posted by Lostn51

The belt will stretch after you put it on and you will have to adjust it several times during the course of use after you put it on.

The bobbin sounds like the thread is not seating in the bobbin case tension spring try to reinstall the bobbin and route the thread correctly and you should be good.

Billy

Thanks Billy
I dont know what the issue was with the belt. I put the new treadle head on the base (same belt) and it works fine.

The bobbin is inserted and drawn through right. It just gets stuck not always but enough to make it a pain.
I will probably have to dissect it someday and figure it out.
Maybe I will take a pic and diagram it to show you. I am horrible at explaining
The Pulley diameter is different from the spoked wheel to the solid wheel. so the solid hand wheel is a tad bigger so it would take up the spare real estate.

Billy
Old 08-19-2010, 07:39 PM

The Pulley diameter is different from the spoked wheel to the solid wheel. so the solid hand wheel is a tad bigger so it would take up the spare real estate.

Billy
Ahh that explains it!

Hows Lola?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

The little thing is hanging in there laying under her quilt I made her and is just as happy as ever!!

Billy
Old 08-19-2010, 09:00 PM

The little thing is hanging in there laying under her quilt I made her and is just as happy as ever!!

Billy
Billy:
Did you get a chance to post a picture of Lola's new quilt, maybe with her on it would be great. I know your plate is full, but if you get a chance, I'd love it see it, her.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilterguy27

Billy
Billy:
Did you get a chance to post a picture of Lola's new quilt, maybe with her on it would be great. I know your plate is full, but if you get a chance, I'd love it see it, her.
Yep I did and it is in this thread.........

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-58994-1.htm

Billy
Old 08-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Power Poster

To me the 500A will compete with any machine that is on the market today and give it a good run for its money. And it was made in 1962. I love mine although I have not used it that much seeing that its a electrical <gulp> machine.

But the 503 is a great machine also but is lacking all of the bells and whistles.

Billy
Thanks for all the feed back Billy. DH and one of my DDs went out to buy it but found that the people selling it where trying to hide some things and the machine was damaged. They left it. So our quest is on again.