Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 610 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 110 510 560 600 609 610 611 620 660 710 1110 1610 ... LastLast
Results 15,226 to 15,250 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    Perhaps all the addicted collectors of vintage machines, myself included, on this site are driving up the prices on EBay. Just a thought.
    Couldn't believe the prices of 403's on ebay tonight. I passed one up at the local Goodwill today, and now am kicking myself. Oh well. :roll:

Blog Entries
    You gotta love our vintage ladies. Yesterday at my quilting group, my friend's machine quit. It was a Singer low end model (WalMart)that she totes around to classes and less than a year old. So she let me take it apart. The whole inside was plastic and I felt bad for her but the main gear was stripped. Since it costs more for a service call than she paid for the machine, it's going in the trash where it belongs. I harvested all the screws and "removeables" from it and then gave her my 1970's White Jeans Machine that was my backup machine. Since then though, I've brought home a Elna Supramatic and a Featherweight, so I really don't need three backup machines. My 80 yr old quilting buddy is thrilled. And now I know for sure that vintage is best!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    You gotta love our vintage ladies. Yesterday at my quilting group, my friend's machine quit. It was a Singer low end model (WalMart)that she totes around to classes and less than a year old. So she let me take it apart. The whole inside was plastic and I felt bad for her but the main gear was stripped. Since it costs more for a service call than she paid for the machine, it's going in the trash where it belongs. I harvested all the screws and "removeables" from it and then gave her my 1970's White Jeans Machine that was my backup machine. Since then though, I've brought home a Elna Supramatic and a Featherweight, so I really don't need three backup machines. My 80 yr old quilting buddy is thrilled. And now I know for sure that vintage is best!
    Neat story to prove that OLD is BEST!!! Hahaha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi
    Just picked this old girl up and cleaned the gunk off enough to check her decals which look super nice. Serial number is G (or C) 64514645 and she's totally complete except for a belt. All I know is that she's a red-eye so can anyone help me with further information? I waded through back pages in this thread and kept getting side-tracked by all the glorious pictures. She has a history which is great but no manual. Where can I find one? The Singer site claims that all records for this serial number have been lost .......
    That sure is a beautiful RedEye!! The decals are wonderful! Did the Singer site say which model? But I am sure the experts at identification here will be able to tell you the model by looking at it. It's a beauty...you did great!
    A model 66-1... it's (I think, if I see the pics right) the backclamp pressure foot. 66's also had the tension on the front of machine, the bobbin winder up high for earlier model 66s.

Kas
    My Red eye I got today is almost clean! Something I am finding is the decals are almost chunky and not very metalic and the badge has a copper look vs brass. It is serial #G7175575 and was in the July of 1919 batch. Helen is 1920 stock. Both are back clamp feet. Something else is the decal on the front under the badge is not centered. One of the up reaching swirls is under the badge instead of framing it. My son says that makes it worth more since it is a missprint. LOL. If only that were true! But the copper badge is the weirdest part. Anyone seen that? I took pics, but was so busy cleaning her, I haven't gotten them out of the camera yet.

Kas
    I forgot one more thing. What is the ratio between salt and vinegar to get the rust off the slideplate and some of the extra feet?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Elsie, the Grasshoppers are bright green and predate the Automatics by almost 20 years. I don't think any Grasshoppers had zigzag capabilities, but they are nice little machines.
    Sorry l am only new at this l know its called a grass hopper
    Elsie

Blog Entries
    The Elna automatic does not have built in zig zag either. It needs a disc. I have other discs but that one is missing. It is a very nice machine though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsie Blight
    Hello from Elsie Blght in Australia l have just seen that machine last week l looked it up it is a Grasshopper and the box can turn upside down to make a table from what l remember it is the first machine they made for zig-zag there is a site l went on but it is the lady who just closed down but l think tere is a contact for her l hope this helps.
    My MIL had a Grasshopper and it is different from the Supermatic. The Grasshopper is straight stitch only. I am promised the machine but there are some bad feelings about it (you don't really want to know), but over the years the cord has been lost, anyone know if I can get a replacement, if we can overcome the bad feelings? TIA
    ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    I just got 5 new (old) sewing machines. All with out manuels. 1. 1890 Jones and Company H C.
    2. Singer 1936 99k. Is the 66 manuel the same?
    3. 1917 New Home treadle. 4. Bel Air from the 50's 5. Some toy looking machine that I will give to my niece.
    I can not post pictures maybe if I take Nancy a piece of chocolate at Ladies night out sewing,
    she will post pictures for me. How about it Nancy? Kathie
    Yes, I will post pictures as soon as I can! Ummmmmmm love the chocolate too!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Here is the first picture, this one is of Kathie's new Jones !!!!! I think she said from 1890?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Here is the second picture, this one is of Kathie's new Bel Air 99 clone !!!!! I think she said from 1950?

Blog Entries
    Here is the third picture, this one is of Kathie's new 99 !!!!! I think she said from 1936?

Blog Entries
    Here is the third picture, this one is of Kathie's new 99 !!!!! I think she said from 1936?

Blog Entries
    Kathy, your Jones machine is gorgeous! The 99 is pretty too!

Wow, pretty machines! I have never used a hand crank. Is it hard to do? I am not very co-ordinated.

Blog Entries
    Here is the fourth picture, this one is of Kathie's new New Home!!!!! I think she said from 1911?
    Sorry for the double post last time!

Kathie, all your machines are beauties.
    The Jones really stands out.
    Her decals are eye popping.

I love the face plate of your New Home. Wow.

Blessings,
    Sandi

Blog Entries
    Here is the fourth picture, this one is of Kathie's new New Home !!!!! I think she said from 1911?

Blog Entries
    Here is the fourth picture, this one is of Kathie's new New Home !!!!! I think she said from 1911?
    Sorry for the double post on the last one!

Woops a triple post! This has to be a first! Sorry everyone!

Blog Entries
    Featherweight anyone? There's one for sale in Woodstock, Ontario, Canada. Tan Featherweight with case etc. for $360 Can. She's had it on Kijiji for a while at $450 but is ready to barter now because it's been so long.
    PM me for her email address.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty1mom
    Wow, pretty machines! I have never used a hand crank. Is it hard to do? I am not very co-ordinated.
    I have only made small projects on mine, ie: mug rugs, but I like using my hand crank. I have made two quilt tops with my treadle. I will probably make one soon on the hand crank too. I think they are a lot of fun to sew with!

The 99 looks just like mine, from 1931 and is now a hand crank. Step-grands like to sew with her.
    Sharon W.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty1mom
    Hand cranks take getting used to, lots easier to sew with if you have a seam guide to let the fabric ride against.
    Sharon W.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    Kathy, your Jones machine is gorgeous! The 99 is pretty too!
    Thank you. Kathie